Mekhi Becton - 5th Year Option Watch - Jets Declined

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The fact that he said those words out loud during a job interview means we probably don't want someone that dumb on the team and it was a good choice to pass on him.

Plus he's too fucking big.

REVISion likes this.
  3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NCwelcome back dude... BTW, I recall in one of the HC's presser , he make a reference for Becton to come to NJ and train ... just saying.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Now this is the correct answer right here.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was just saying that I had never seen or heard anything to that regard, but I believe you that Saleh said that in a presser. IMO that still doesn't mean that there's a problem there. There definitely could be. We'll just have to wait and see how things play out. I hope there's no problem there. It would be better for the Jets and all of us if Becton can get healthy and reach his potential. Similarly, it would be the same for Zach, and maybe Mims too, although Mims to a lesser degree. Still, he has height, speed, and pretty good hands. If the three of those can flourish under Hackett, we could definitely become a perennial playoff team for the next 5-10 years.

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I was leaning towards picking the option up, but as an organization, you don’t want to set the precedent that you can get a big contract from the jets simply based on being a first round pick.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

makes Rodgers look small

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The kid Becton still hasn't learned. Can't stay off Twitter. Can't keep his mouth shut up.

"I. Am. A. Left. Tackle." Lol clown. You haven't been on the field in two years.

Loved Salehs response to this though. "Go out and earn it."

Jets81, REVISion, ukjetsfan and 7 others like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Go stay healthy and beat out Duane Brown then

Meanwhile, AVT was out there playing 4 different positions last year

Becton just continues to not give me good vibes. Hope to be proven wrong

#90 JetFanInPA, May 7, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I. Am. Only. Capable. Of. Playing. Left. Tackle.

On. Rare. Occasion.

Nyjets4eva, Lon Chaney and NY Jets68 like this.
  12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Not just a "NO" but a "HELL NO!"

I love all these folks yapping about, "well, IF he knocks it out of the park then we're screwed because he is going to want massive money or get "maaaaaad" and leave the team. Riiigghht. Hasn't been able to stay on the field for 70% of his to date playing time and people want to throw $13 mill at him. With that thought process, heck, sign me up! I'll take $13 mill to sit on my backside!

It sends a HORRIBLE message to the rest of the team AND, if you think that some other team isn't looking at it the same way then you're kidding yourselves. No GOOD team is going to throw a ton of money at Bechton until he puts at LEAST 2 solid years together. If I'm GM, I don't care if he has a pro-bowl season, I'm not signing him long term. If, and that's a HUGE IF, he has a pro bowl season I'm franchising him. Give me a couple of good years then we sit down and talk long term contract. Anything short of that and I keep that $$ in the bank! He may be mad about it but $$ fixes it all. Just look at Lamar Jackson. It's all roses now.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have a bad vibe about Becton. I want him to succeed big time this year, but his inability to mature and stay off of tweeter, recognizing that he needs to earn the position, waving the entitlement flag, are troublesome. Its a catch 22, he could fail badly or If he turns it around, and becomes the player we expected I can see him demanding a trade or moving elsewhere. I see no real commitment to the Jets with the attitude "I'll prove you fuckers wrong and become the LT for this team for many years to come"
    Could be dead wrong but I'm worried.

Brook! likes this.
  14. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

When is becton refunding the money he was paid while sitting on his ass for most of 2 years?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I totally agree that he should stay off of Twitter, but I like his fire and confidence. I think he's going to make it VERY difficult for the Jets to keep him at RT and Brown at LT. Brown better be prepared to bring it in TC, because Becton's coming for that job that he thinks is rightfully his. Could the Jets wind up with Becton starting at LT and one of Warren, Mitchell, and Billy Turner at RT? TC should be a lot of fun and very interesting to watch the battles.

BrooklynJetsFan and Lon Chaney like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

That's not gonna happen, nor should it. The initial injury his rookie season was a freak thing and not his fault at all. That led to weakness in the knee that probably resulted in the 2nd injury. I'm sure that Becton would much rather have been on the field playing than having to rehab and sit out.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't look at this as confidence though. It looks petty and selfish.

If he felt like tweeting, how about this 'I'm working my ass off to help this team any way possible"

Behind close doors day what ever you want.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah just not a good look

When you’ve missed as many games as he has, I don’t think anyone gives a crap about your twitter tirades or boasts or whatever. Just shut up and earn it on the field.

He has the size and talent to be dominant…just has to stay on the field.

Declining his option was absolutely the right thing to do…this is the kind of player that will ball out in a contract year and loaf on it once he’s paid…immature and not a dedicated professional.

Hopefully he matures because yes it would be the best outcome if he can become our dominant LT for years.

But us wishing it so doesn’t make it happen…he’s gotta earn it and deliver.

I’m hoping he does. But I sure as shit wouldn’t bet on it…

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ yup

(stating the obvious) you don't play the game on paper or twitter

would love if becton miraculously did a 180-degree about face (jets could use a beast LT) but big ticket's history suggests otherwise...

20. NCJetsfan

I don't disagree. I don't think that he needs to say anything publicly be it, on social media or elsewhere. Let his play on the field do his talking for him, but kids today are different. A lot of them live on social media, and they aren't shy about tooting their own horns.