Corey Davis isn't getting cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, May 5, 2023.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I am ok with this he may be able to shine under Rodgers.

Does this mean Lawson gets cut or traded? Mims? Need some savings somewhere right?

Borat and ouchy like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Even though our first rounder makes Lawson seem expendable they said last week Lawson will be a Jet this year so...?
    Starting to seem like it might be Whitehead. Or maybe we u-turn on Huff? The Woods contract will tell a lot.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cutting Mim would not give much cap space. It would only serve to provide another roster spot. IMO cutting Mims would be foolish, since he's young, cheap, fast, tall, has good hands, is a very good blocker, is a very good scheme fit, and Davis has issues staying healthy. He provides valuable depth. I think he will look a LOT better this year with Hackett than he did with MLF.

#3 NCJetsfan, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Not surprised, his cap number isn't that bad

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's got less than a million guaranteed for this year and counts 11mil against the cap. Granted, there is some wisdom in overloading at WR in a year you want to contend, but I think we can get Corey Davis production for less than 11 million dollars this year.

Not buying the declaration that he's staying. They said the same thing 2 days before Darnold was traded.

tomdeb, jixxjr, Lon Chaney and 4 others like this.
  6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I don't buy this "public endorsement" for a moment...

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t see why we wouldn’t kick the tires on some guys in free agency and do a hot-swap for a $7-8 million savings.

I always liked Quintez Cephus. He has pretty much the same physical profile as Davis and is still a free agent.

This all furthers my argument as to why we should’ve taken a receiver though. We traded away Elijah Moore, signed a clone of Corey Davis with slightly better hands that Rodgers likes and plays the same position. We have a borderline career 3/4 in Mecole Hardman and then trash behind all of that.

If Garrett Wilson misses any amount of time, we are going to have Rodgers throwing to some pseudo-tightends on the outside and Hardman running around as the only real speed threat.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why would we cut Whitehead? We’d essentially have no free safety then. I imagine free safety will be a camp watch deal.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Whitehead isn’t a FS
    he took terrible angles just playing up in the box, and was an unreliable tackler.

Gets paid too much to be a backup SS.
    He will likely be cut or traded. I thought would be part of the GB deal.

I agree we still in the market for a FS.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Keeping Corey Davis another year makes a lot of sense imo. He’s still arguably the second best WR on the roster.

Mims has been a waste of a roster spot, and being his last year of contract no lock to make team.

Borat likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How about Mosely's $21M cap hit for a start...

Borat likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This makes tons of sense. The roster building is mostly done. Q’s cap hit will most likely get lower. There’s no need to get rid of an above average WR because he makes $10 mil.

Borat, KingRoach and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The rest of the league: The Jets are contenders this year and a team to be feared

Jets fans: We should cut some of our Vets

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can see them keeping Whitehead as a veteran hold the fort/ knows the system guy while Clark gets spun up across the field, then they draft a blue chip safety in the '24 second round.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Definitely not buying public statements, but I wouldn't be surprised if Davis was traded or if his contract was reworked. Same thing for Whitehead and Mosely: these players produce, but not at their contract value. To this point, the remaining big ticket item is to lock Q up to a long-term deal and build some depth at safety, maybe at linebacker. The Jets currently (as of 5/5) have about 10M in cap space left, but still have to sign their draft class. It might be doable without doing anything, but it's more than likely that JD will have to rework or trade away some assets, Davis being a prime target.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to cut Whitehead but he is overpaid at 10 million. I'm just spitballing at where they might choose to make some space. Once we know the Woods contract it will be more clear what needs to happen.

As of right now our number is a mystery to the fans. We had 10.4 million in space. Then signed Cobb (reportedly for 3 million+) and Turner (reportedly for 3.1 million). That leaves us 4 million before knowing what we are paying Woods. Our draft class will cost about 6.5 million. So were probably going to have to clear somewhere around 4-5 million - depending on the Woods contract.

There is some trim we will make before the season. Strevler and Boyle make a million each and one likely has to go (probably Strevler since we guaranteed Boyle 75 grand and he knows the system). Probably a few other lower paid players as well, like maybe Isiah Mack (1 million), Mims (saving 1.3 million), or even Huff at 4 million? Neither Mack or Huff had guaranteed money. It wont be Mosley because he has a 15 million dead cap hit and we need him to make a run.

#16 ouchy, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  17. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I mean it would be hard to look much worse…

18. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Probably work out some sort of extensions for Lawson and Moseley. Which is fine with me, they’ve been good players on the field (when healthy) and good locker room guys off the field. Guys like that you want to keep around

Jets79 likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We wont extend Mosley since we already have him through 2026, and we've restructured his contract twice already which cost us an extra 3 million. We could probably restructure Lawson but that would cost us more guaranteed money down the road, which we don't have ATM.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He may be a free agent but wouldn't be available for this season anyway. Cephus is on an indefinite suspension by the NFL, which usually means at least a year, for gambling. He also missed a season at Wisconsin with a legal problem and has hit the DL two years in a row now. He can be a very exciting receiver but can't help a team at all if the doctors and lawyers have this kind of involvement.

Lon Chaney and KingRoach like this.