Mekhi Becton - 5th Year Option Watch - Jets Declined

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

LOL, You said it will be 23 mil. I actually pointed out the trajectory and the number it is this year. I know what it is based on, but we do not know what it will be. When the number is not 23 mil, will you come here and admit you were wrong? Or like a dishonest coward again wiggle your way out, much like your prediction that we won't draft OT, then having one draft with the very next pick, and still not admitting you were wrong.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

But yea, I’m willing to make any bet, whether I believe it or not, if you’re willing to stop shit-posting if I win.

You already turned down 1 sure thing bc you couldn’t. Your love of shitting on the Jets is too strong.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO, unless Becton gets re-injured and misses a big chunk of the season or flat out flops, he is going nowhere. His initial injury was a freak injury that could have happened to anyone. That created the problem with that knee, and his weight. He had played at that weight before with no ill effects.

I don't recall ever reading or seeing anything about Becton not being at training camp or Saleh begging him to come. It certainly was never mentioned here when I was here. If healthy, Becton has the ability to be one of the top 2-3 OTs in the game. Hopefully, he stays healthy from here on out.

dmw likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually, I've made no assumptions about those things at all but understand that gamblers both win and lose. Your first claim is totally unsupported by anything I wrote - I have no idea about what Becton's values are, whether he's happy with the Jets or would rather go elsewhere. The option would have only extended his availability for one year anyway. When you tell us what's "likely", you're the one making assumptions - do you know something the rest of us don't?

Becton did not get the option picked up so his next contract, regardless of what team it's with, will be determined not by chance but by his performance and durability I have no problem with that; it's not a matter of what I "trust" him to do.

#64 Ralebird, May 2, 2023
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I doubt that the Jets will franchise tag Becton if he stays healthy and plays well this year. They will try to sign him to an extension instead. Depending upon how they have treated him behind the scenes, he may say adios and test FA. Hopefully, with MLF gone, things will get better and he'll want to stay.

Borat and Ralebird like this.
  6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The Jets front office was right to decline Becton's option. He has a lot to prove before he's rewarded.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why would I bet with someone who is dishonest on a stupid condition? Even now you lack of integrity is astounding. According to your own site we could tag him with 21.5, not 23. We don't have to give him exclusive, And you didn't mention it, just took the higher number. And guess what, it says "projection". Because no one knows for sure yet. Yet you took offense when I said we don't know what it will be. Astounding, but fully expected, lack of integrity.

8. KingRoach

We were talking about the franchise tag.

The lower number you mention is the transition tag.

I’m sorry to keep pointing out your inability to read or research.

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Tag and then extend. That brings down the cap number during the rodgers year(s).

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We could use either one and can match an offer. Both are projections at this point. Most likely we will extend him anyway if he is good. But you already knew that, just wanted to post something nasty after I embarrassed you before.

11. KingRoach

JD kept all options open. I’m a bit of a gambler so I would have picked up the option. I can’t hate JDs decision though.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. KingRoach

We both know your English is bad… embarrass doesn’t mean what you think it means.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I find it a bit peculiar. On one hand they think highly enough of Becton to count on him out there protecting their “all-in” investment of Aaron Rodgers, but they don’t think he’ll play well enough during the next 2 years to guarantee 5th year at what would be a very reasonable amount if he does actually protect Rodgers as well as they seem to be counting on him to do.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You have to think it ends in 2 ways:

-more of the same, injured, too chubby & unreliable so he leaves after next year and you aren't worried about it
    -he bounces back, looks awesome and then hits the open market for big $$

either way I see the scenario where he's back in 2024 as the least likely given the cap constraints and the likelihood that he will look average enough to fit

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Wouldnt be the first year a player had a career season the year he's playing for a new contract ;)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this but it’s the most recent thread where we’re talking about tackles so:

Makes sense as to why no one wanted to touch him with a ten foot pole. He had plenty of red flags and we didn’t even know about the biggest one.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not to mention those "bionic" knee braces.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

the NFL/NBA answer seems silly to me. He literally backed out on the senior bowl practice. If you’re gonna be that heavy at least be nimble like Becton showed during drills. He seems lazy, unlike Becton.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself: Which is worse? Giving $13.5 million guaranteed to a guy who played 1 game in 3 years, or overpaying for a player who just had an amazing year? Very easy answer.

20. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Technically, is this considered "cutting" Bechton?