POLL: Your Initial Grade for Jets 2023 Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2023.

?

Your Grade

1. A+ to A-

7.3%
  2. B+ to B-

62.7%
  3. C+ to C-

23.6%
  4. D+ to D-

3.6%
  5. F

2.7%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I did vote.

F

And it's all your fault.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I was also pretty excited about JSN (after Bijan was taken) but after some reflection, imo the Jets and Rodgers know they only need 1 FWR with the solid role players.

They got the #1 speed rusher in the draft and ensured the most important position in their D stays solid for the next 3/4 years…it’s tough to give a downgrade for that.

3. KingRoach

He had a late 1st rd grade so the only way we get both is if we don’t get the C and we spend the capital which got us everyone else.

If we traded back for McD and don’t take JSN, we get an extra 4th at best, not with risking the top speed rusher on your board.

“We've seen them make picks like this in other drafts and we hope they know something we don't.... And they don't :D

100% spot on… but enough people rave about McD that I’m not worried

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Last years draft felt different, the board fell the Jets way and we all loved 3 of the first 4 picks - Sauce, Wilson and Hall...

and had hopes for Johnson and the other picks...
    this year's draft feels like a continuation of the same draft philosophy (Johnson+ picks)...

Taking guys with high upsides but with question marks (size, age, injury concerns)...

Historically when the Jets have employed this draft strategy, they have had shitty results...

we'll see.

Jedi mind tricks, Borat and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I find this class one of the most difficult Jets draft classes to rate. The entire draft class with the possible exception of Tippman (which I view as a pretty close to a can't miss prospect) is all massively boom or bust. Any or all of the other players I could easily see busting. They drafted a few players who were seriously injured last year and that dropped their draft stock - does that mean that perhaps they are injury prone and may not have long careers? Are some of these injuries the type that will forever limit their NFL careers?

On the other hand, the raw athleticism of their draft class is pretty amazing and they all appear to be very high character guys. If they could coach them all up, you could easily see many of these becoming very good players. But not everyone is coachable and you can't teach instincts.

Given the Jets and where they are - a superbowl contending team with a solid roster and relatively few holes, JD's strategy here makes a lot of sense. If just one or two of these players become pro-bowl calibre players, then the draft will have been a success. However, you could also easily see virtually the entire class busting. Even their 1st round pick, McDonald can easily bust - can he put on the weight to be a 4-3 DE and still keep his explosiveness and speed? He's probably better suited to being an LB in a 3-4 system than a 4-3 DE. It's possible he'll never be more than a situational pass rusher - maybe a very good situational pass rusher, but one who never develops the size and strengh to be a 4-3 DE starter.

I like a lot what JD is doing with UDFAs. They have a ridiculously high number of UDFAs this year (and I think he left room for 18 on their roster) and they're hoping to find a few diamonds in the rough. They've had a lot of success doing that these past few years, including Bam Knight, Tony Adams and Bryce Huff (who now has a 2nd round tender).

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

We've done bad, then recently good with Ohio State WR's. I'm happy with Garrett and wasn't as keen to double down. I agree with B because I think Joe D recovered well from the disaster that was round one. Unlike last year, nothing fell right for him. The sign of a good GM is that he salvaged our draft after that. Rough start that looked like was heading down the shitter.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Was going to vote F minus.... but the Truckfighters made me raise it to a straight F

[​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mean, after Tippman, we're talking about 4th round or later picks. Everybody drafted on Day 3 should be viewed as a developmental prospect IMO. At least we're taking swings on guys with high-character who are elite athletes for their position, hence the B+.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Our offensive line has the sturdiness of overcooked linguini. D

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't know the players enough to legitimately judge this.

I will say, position wise they were pretty close to what I expected. I would have taken the WR at 15, but I'll never complain about drafting a pass rusher.

I think this was always going to be a pretty lukewarm draft. If the Jets are healthy, they don't have too many holes where a rookie is just going to pop in and start. I thought they clearly drafted high floor depth that will be able to step up in the event of an injury.

I'll give it a year or two before I grade it.

ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I gave an A and my reasoning is simple. Joe is smarter than me

Last year, I criticized the idea of a high CB pick and in fact suggested Tariq Woolen (https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...e-what-you-paid-for.97277/page-2#post-4199832). No I wasn't a CB savant but thought investing in high CB didn't make sense for "this system" and a long fast CB did.

I had similar thoughts about WR.

Clearly i was wrong. Joe thoroughly demonstrated IMO he knows what this roster and this system needs. He doesn't need to hit on 100% of picks IMO

That said, I am expecting magic from these selections. McDonald will give our pass rush some extra electricity. Mullet will be an impact player on OL and with the addition of a truly competent QB we will stop fretting over the OL . Israel will be like one of those SF RBs who make one cut and is gone (I'm also channeling a little Curtis Martin on the one cut aspect).. The LB will be our coverage LB neutralizing TEs, and our DB will this year's version of Tariq. I'm sure i forgot somone but they'll be spectacular too.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! :)

KingRoach and westiedog1 like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The lack of picks has to affect the grade at this point. Yeah, sure if he hits big on some of them it wont matter but we won't know that for awhile. Last year he selected 7 in the first 4 rounds no wonder it was a great draft. This year only 3.

With that said, I would grade this draft a C and I like the players chosen, just not enough of 'em

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Everybody and their brother has by now analyzed and graded the draft. I looked at six widely known sources and averaged their ratings which gave the Jets a rating of 23 out of the 32 teams.

The sources used and their grades were NFL.com (26T), PFF.com (24T), USAToday.com (5T), theAthletic.com (29), SI.com (24T) and SportingNews.com (30T). The Athletic was the only one that assigned a rank, the rest used a letter grade system which resulted in many ties; the ties were averaged for rank using the highest score among those letter grades, even if comments in the article differentiated among the same grades.

Borat likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I have no idea how 70% voted B or higher, unless it was a draft weekend high. I voted D.

The first round was a disaster, taking an edge that doesn't project well in our lineup, and IMO was a 2nd round talent. He slots into a rotation with Lawson, JFM, Huff, and Johnson, and IMO will likely be 4th or 5th on the depth chart. If we were going defense it would have made a lot more sense to take Jack Campbell.

Tippmann was a decent pick and the only thing that saved the draft from being an F. Hopefully he can pan out.

Not impressed by any of the lower round picks. Warren is a project, not a starter, and Abiniknada is worse than Carter. Maybe we'll find low round gold or someone will be better than expected and raise the grade? Otherwise this is a solid D.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Almost impossible to top last year, but I got a pretty good feeling about this year's draft.... we'll see how it shakes out

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Small and late nitpick: we’re probably not going to have a 1st next year

JackBower likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2nd round has been a problem for decades

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Joe is smarter than I (am smart).

I know, I know! I'm a dick.

Then again, if you care, here's a quick lesson: as you are configuring the sentence in your mind, does the "I" that ends the sentence correspond to subject or object?

Imagine you are Zach Wilson speaking.

"Aaron Rodgers showed his Jets Super Bowl ring to me."

"Aaron Rodgers led the offense better than I (led the offense)."

And that's one to grow on!

chandler likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. To begin with, JD said that the Jets knew that with the pick swap that there was a good chance that all the top OTs would be gone. Do you really think a professional GM wouldn't know which teams needed OTs, be able to count how many top OTs there were and figure out the odds on if one would fall to them? Second, there is a very good chance that the Jets weren't going to take Broderick Jones anyway. JD also said that the pick swap didn't affect their draft board at all, and several sources say that they were going to take RB Jamyr Gibbs if he was there. Third, you're wrong about McDonald. In 2020 and 2021 he played as an Edge,and he had 10.5 sacks and 13 TFLs, and 11.5 sacks, 13 TFLs, and 5 FFs, respectively. In 2022 they played him inside as a DT at 230 pounds and he still got 5 sacks, 7.5 TFLs, and 4 PDs. His 34 career sacks ties him for #1 all time in the Big 12, and he's #2 all time in forced fumbles in the Big 12. He's a playmaker. The Jets need defensive players who can create TOs. McDonald can do it by forcing fumbles or by pressuring QBs into throwing picks. JD said that the Jets think he had the most bend and elite athleticism, and the highest ceiling of any of the pass rushers in the draft. We'll see how he does, but you may wind up eating your words on McDonald.

How often do most GMs hit on their 2nd-7th rounders? Last year's draft was one of the all-time great drafts. No GM is perfect and going to hit on every pick. Some GMs don't even consult or work with their HCs. I think that we're very lucky to have JD as GM. If he's not the best GM we've ever had, he's in the top 2.

20. KingRoach

The word "than" can be classified as either a conjunction or a preposition…. So there’s that.

I’m not claiming to be smarter than he.

But I can be a bigger dick than him.

*but I feel ya @twown people who mistakenly use “me instead of I” are slightly less annoying than people who try and be smart but incorrectly use “I instead of me”.

#60 KingRoach, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
    twown likes this.