Will McDonald IV our new John Abraham?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Apr 28, 2023.

1. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Dallas was interested in McDonald. He would have given the Cowboys another option in rushing the passer. Gives us a lot of defensive options for next year. We also get a lot of depth. It's a long season so injuries will occur. Apparently he also has a mean streak. Fellow Cyclone teammates Hall and Lazard are glad he's with the team.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  2. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

Clearly this kid has quickness, not speed and clearly is a fantastic athlete. With that being said, this pick is a bit of a head scratcher for several reasons . For one he is more of a fit in a 3-4 defense where he doesn’t have to have his hand in the dirt. Jets play a 4-3 base. He is too light to put his hands in the dirt. That big OT firing out on the ball will eat him up at that weight. Secondly he is on the slower side as evidenced by his 4.7/40 time. Saleh stated that he needs to put on more weight. He needs 20-25 pounds. However, with that weight gain how much more will he slow? Does his 40 now go to 4.8? In addition due to his size he clearly is not an every down LB. To draft a guy at 15 who is probably going to have a limited role this year due to our other pass rushers is a stretch. We still need a big DT like a Vince Wolfork or another former jet Kris Jenkins who was an absolute beast against the run. We got beat up in the run game last year. I hope this kid proves me wrong . However I remember the draft when we could have picked both chandler Jones and Dontae Hightower we Shit the bed and drafted Quinton Coples. Yuck.

3. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Wow there is a name I haven't heard in forverer, Quinton Coples that is. I'm just praying McDonald doesn't become another Vernon Gholston. I still can't believe how terrible that guy was after all these years.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He has the ability to leap over parked cars according to draft day tape of him. With that skillset he can be the first one to leave Met Life after a game.

Fiftynine and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Zack Wilson can dunk a basketball and has crazy Athleticism yet he can't be a starting quarterback in the arena football league. Athleticism don't mean crap, sure it helps but it doesn't measure heart or your football Iq.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

You didn’t think pass rushers was important but you wanted another corner. Got it

7. JETFUEL1580

Can Zach really dunk a basketball? I figured he would miss the rim or come up short on his attempts.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If he milks the stomach flu and keeps himself sidelined during the playoffs to ensure a big payday elsewhere, sure, I guess he can be, why not.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  9. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Yeah there was a youtube video with him playing basketball he got crazy hops he can easily dunk and got crazy athletism wonder how with his freakish athletism and his speed he is such a bad and innacurate Qb, I guess he is a mental midget.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. Athleticism isn't what makes or breaks you as a QB.
    2. Being able to dunk a basketball is an unusual skill among the general population, but not among NFL QBs.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Vern Gholston extremely athletic?

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe 20-30lbs from now...

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is literally the first thing I think of every time I think of John Abraham and it makes MY stomach literally sick.

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Heh. I have a love/hate relationship with posts like this. On one hand, the hilarity made me choke on bourbon. On the other, I just reflexively kicked my dog.

Well played, my friend. :)

Jets69 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

True, but if he plays like Zach Wilson, he will need to get out of the stadium quickly.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He does need to gain some weight - this will really help his running game. 10 lbs or so should be enough though. As of right now he is a situational pass rusher, like Huff. But the offseason program is still ahead.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

JJ may have a breakout year. I wouldn’t discount Clemons either

Cosmo, Nyjets4eva, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I get the added dimension he brings to the team.

I could see Huff or Lawson traded before the deadline if JJ and Clemons have breakout years.

apjbfc and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

WM actually reminds me of…Bryce Huff.

Mind you Huff had elite pass rushing numbers per analytics. He just didn’t have enough time on the field to qualify for stats etc. but Huff was a major force in obvious pass situations. They move Huff out wide and he became a menace. WM is expected to be unlocked moving out far wide as well. Again in obvious pass situations he’s likely going to be out there to cause havoc. He also has crazy bend and quickness. You question if he’s ever going to be a 3 down end which like Huff, is his question as well.

20. JETFUEL1580

Nothing wrong with drafting another pass rusher. I'm just concerned about his weight right now. What is he in our current defense? I'm gonna trust the pick, being that nobody on this forum knows anything about this kid. I was just surprised he was taken where he was. I'll trust JD and Saleh on this one and hope McDonald is a game changer. I was hoping for Jones, but this is our guy and I'll support him. JD didn't need to switch up that 13th pick IMO though.