The Offensive Line Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2023.

?

How confident are you that the offensive line, as currently constructed, can protect Rodgers?

1. Extremely Confident

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Somewhat Confident

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Not so Confident

45 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. No Confidence Whatsoever

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As currently constructed, I think it will take approximately two weeks for Aaron Rodgers to wind up on the DL. AVT can not block five players by himself. There is absolutely no reason to have any faith whatsoever in Bechton right now.

How am I supposed to believe this line can protect a 40 year old QB?

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i didnt think the OL was a must pick in round 1 due to the depth and flexibility they have now. Sure they need to add some depth in the draft. I am not freaking out about not taking a tackle in round 1.

3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

AVT coming back from injury
    Max Mitchell coming back from injury
    Becton coming back from injury (+is never healthy)
    Duane Brown is 38
    McGovern is very average

and there's not another starting quality lineman on the team.

Letting Nate Herbig go was a big mistake.

I voted not so confident, but in reality I should have no confidence at all based on the above question marks.

JohnnyJet, amuck57, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s not whether they can protect him, it’s whether they can stay healthy. We’re counting on Becton and Brown. Let that sink in

Cman68, papapump and teamgreen like this.
  5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

This is a how confident are you that the linemen can stay healthy question. If you guaranteed me the current linemen will all remain injury free this year, I would say extremely confident. Assuming just one OT gets injured, I would still be confident.

Fully healthy, is it a guarantee if had we been able to select Jones, that he would be higher than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart?

6. SoylentGreen

We all know what's gonna happen -

Becton has never been healthy...
    Brown is old and his play while solid last year is gonna eventually drop off and quickly... he should be a backup, not starter at this point.

AVT can play OT at an avg-to above avg starting level, but can play guard at an all-pro level...

The more you look at this, the more you realize the Jets needed to get an OT with pick#1...

Would have been worth trading whatever necessary to get to #12.

JohnnyJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

O'Cyrus Torrence.... interior wall / road grader.

Hopefully he falls to the JETS, plus his name is O'Cyrus, so you know he's bad-ass....

8. SoylentGreen

That would be great, but I expect him to go early today + before the Jets...

stinkyB likes this.
  9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think the starters are set. Brown/Tomlinson/McGovern/AVT/Becton. If healthy, that is probably an average OL.

I don't think anyone taken at 15 was cracking the healthy version of that lineup. Maybe Brown could get benched? The rest of the line was probably set.

Hopefully an experienced QB with a brain will make it easier for the OL to do their job. Fingers are certainly crossed.

#9 jcass10, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    KingRoach likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

JD has used smoke and mirrors to try to cover the OL in his now 4 seasons on the job. The smoke has mostly blown away on the wind and the mirrors have mostly cracked.

I think JD really believes you can cobble together an effective OL from season to season but so far he has not proven that and now he has the franchise to protect.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So do I, but we can hope.... I can also see JD trying to trade down to get a 3rd rd pick back as well...

JetFanInNE likes this.
  12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Becton-Big question mark. Has missed the last two years basically. I have very little faith he can last a full year
    AVT-Really good and borderline pro bowler. No worries there.
    McGovern-Average player.
    Tomlinson-Average player.
    Brown-Reliable but he's older and injury prone now.

We need one more o lineman. Preferably a tackle or guard.

ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

So do we avoid Center/IOL in round 2?

Seems there is top talent there

14. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

All I will say is that I was really pissed we moved out of 13 to 15. And of course by the time our time to pick last night came all the offensive tackles were taken. They showed the split for Rodgers when he has protection and when he doesn't. When his protection breaks down he drops into the lower tier of QBs. Of course most QBs drop when their protection breaks down but this is more evidence why we should have not swapped picks. I didn't expect any of the tackles to be available at 15. I hope Becton can stay on the field and the Tomlinson rebounds from a sub par year last year. Lets face it though, the jets offensive line as it is today is not very good.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I voted somewhat confident.

I think we're due for some positive regression in terms of injuries on the OL this year and I think if this unit can stay healthy they can be an average group, which is really all you need.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't think so. They still need DT and OT.

17. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

That's below average as you can get. I am very worried about the offensive line. They are older and have shown significant decrease in their play already. For a supposed offensive lineman guru, I feel JD is a fraud in term of building a decent offensive line. The only guy he got that was decent is AVT.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

As others noted, confidence relates to the OL overall health and depth. Think we'll be better positioned to answer this question after tonight. If the Jets can somehow get Tippman or Schmitz, they'll have good flexibility. McGovern has played decently at guard, so if any interior position goes down, he can slot in. Similarly, if the rookie isn't ready to go, he can also slot in, too. Rodgers had a down year last year because his line was below-average. If the Jets want to return him to form, they must ensure that he stays upright.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rodgers had a down year because he had an avulsion fracture in the thumb on his throwing hand.

He was actually pressured less last year than either of the 2 years before that and was only sacked 32 times last year, which is the 2nd fewest he's had over the last 5 years.

#19 KY Jets Fan, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Cody Mauch from ND State… rumor at one point was JD was crazy about him. If he’s there at 43 that is…

KY Jets Fan likes this.