Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Have at it....

2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

That was a letdown, freak athlete, hope he works out. Aaron Rodgers can’t catch a break, can he?

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Don’t know enough about him to really make a go at it tbh

hornblower likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Eh give it a month, and it'll be heresy to criticize the pick. But in the meantime...

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Sounds like we drafted Darron lee all-over again, not happy with this pick

6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Considering how long it took them to make the pick I feel like Douglas was definitely trying to trade back and this is what he settled on. But who knows.

boozer32, NCJetsfan, apjbfc and 12 others like this.
  7. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I assume PIT trading up screwed us out of our top pick.

I like the idea of a LB - we need help there - but why not trade down and then take this guy?

Also, what happened to the other three Will McDonalds?

8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I imagine he tried to trade down but there were no takers.

9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He's an edge rusher.. Guess Lawson is a cap casualty

boozer32 and chandler like this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

PFF BIG BOARD RANK
    HEIGHT
    6' 3"
    WEIGHT
    CLASS
    RS Sr.
    McDonald will be one of the more interesting defensive line prospects in the class because his tape is almost all at a position that he won't play in the NFL. He was frequently a four- or five-technique in Iowa State's defense at 236 pounds. McDonald is at his best in space off the edge, where he can be a speed rusher. He earned an 84.1 pass-rushing grade in 2022 and an 85.3 mark in 2021.

Where he wins: Explosiveness

McDonald can really get upfield and test an offensive tackle’s ability to get out of their stance. Combine that with his length, and it sets up anything he wants to do as an edge rusher.

What’s his role: 3-4 OLB/wide-9 defensive end

McDonald has all the traits to be an excellent speed rusher. You saw that whenever he was given the opportunity to pin his ears back at Iowa State. He earned a 92.6 pass-rushing grade against true pass sets this past fall.

What can he Improve: Play strength

McDonald very much understands leverage in the run game, but there’s only so much he can do without more sand in the pants. He seemingly has the frame to get bigger, but we need to see it.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Would have been nuts if we took the WR, annoyed we missed on a OT because salty Pats traded back

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Prob unless we can trade him? We may need to sign a OT

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good kid and good football player. High floor and low ceiling. Dreadful first round pick given our all-in push. He reminds me of Bryan Thomas when Mangini finally figured out how to use him in 2006.

YOU HAVE to take offense there. O’Cyrus is the best guard in the draft bar none and JSN would’ve been an elite explosive add with the top three tackles off the board.

Sorry. The Jets got a good man and decent football player but made a terrible miscalculation.

14. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Thought for sure we getting a offensive lineman, to bad Aaron Rodgers can't for his life like Zack Wilson can.

15. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

This pick would be fine if we could be certain that Mekhi Becton was ready.

Jojo and blackssmagic like this.
  16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Guess they think Brown/Becton left and ?\Mitchell at right tackle... Need depth there. Confused a bit, didn't see edge as a glaring need.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ugh. I almost posted earlier that I got Bryan Thomas vibes. This is not how you follow up an amazing draft, unless this dude is hidden gold.

Barry the Baptist and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas is an idiot. He screws up and takes Zach Wilson in 2021. Then Wilson stinks, so Douglas trades away the farm for Rodgers, including moving back from 13 to 15. Because he traded back, he misses on the OT we needed in the 2023 draft. So he takes who???????????????? The last the jets needed is another edge rusher almost 24 years old, picked 15 selections earlier from where he was projected. Fire Douglas now. No wonder the jets war room look like a morgue AFTER they sent the McDonald pick to the podium. Morons! They already have Franklin Myers, Lawson, Johnson, Huff and Clemons, and now McDuff at DE. Hey, let's go DE in round 2 also!!!!!

No longer bothered that the jets have already foolishly traded their 2024 first rounder pick. Douglas (if he's still there) would screw it up anyway. Dumb shit!!!!!

Nyjets4eva and 94Abraham like this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Unlike Darren Lee this dude has a great frame and he’ll put in more pounds. I don’t think this move means the end of Lawson. JJ didn’t come in last year as a starter, he was in rotation and learned. I expect him to improve greatly this year. He better, anyway. I think Douglas is looking to develop this kid behind Lawson in a similar role Johnson played last year in hopes that year 2 he makes a jump. If his gamble plays off we’d have 2 potential pass rushers as well as QW if he signs him long term. And the DE’s will be cheap for a couple years through QW’s big ass contract. Even with Rodgers I think he’s playing the long game. It’s admirable he holds to his guns like that. It may also cost him his job.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why the fuck do we need another Edge? Almost 24, second round prospect, average College tape. Fuck, this stinks,