2023 NFL Draft - 1st Round Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I too hope one of those 3 tackles is there for us at 15, but the flip side of them not being there may be that someone else at a good position (Edge? WR?) falls to us instead.

Plenty of good players chosen in the mid round…JD needs to earn his paycheck … I wasn’t thrilled about the 13-15 swap but it is what it is…we should still come away with either an OT or an Edge I hope…not sure DT is the value there with this group of players but I am not the college scouting expert so I’ll defer to others on that…

Honestly if those 3 tackles are gone I wouldn’t rule out a trade down to recoup maybe that 3rd rounder we gave up

2. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

I don't see how you can count on Becton at all.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need OT otherwise if the top 3 guys are gone then go BPA or trade down

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Brown was injured before the season even started. You are basing your opinion off of a year where a left tackle had a busted shoulder. Probably not the greatest indicator. Also not quite sure where you got the notion from that Max Mitchell is awful. He showed plenty of promise as a rookie and he had some good showings against the top-tier edge rushers like Myles Garrett.

If you want to bring up health and durability concerns when it comes to these guys that’s valid but we arent going to pretend they were awful when healthy and that it’s likely we lose to starting tackles before the season starts again. Again my opinion is that we need to tackle but if we don’t get one at 15 it’s very very very far from the end of the world.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well Borat, let’s hope for the best, but whatever you do, don’t go too crazy and hurt yourself. This will be a fun season for us.
    I hope we get the OL to stay healthy and if the right T is there go for it. I also feel Becton will be more than ready. Remember, Mitchell was drafted as a developmental project yet he held his own when thrown into the fire. If healthy he has potential. Brown played hurt most of the season. There might be opportunities for a hybrid G/T on a trade down. We most surely will get a C as well. With AR, the time to protect element is better as is the ability to read coverage and place the OL in the right position quickly, but will take time for the offense to jell.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Screw BPA, nobody knows who the BPA is. If we can't get a tackle, then trade down and take advantage of some other GM who thinks he's a better talent evaluator than he is.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I want an impact player. If it's OT all the better but let's focus on someone who is going to really elevate something

E.g., it could be a safety if we think it's the next Ed Reed, or a DL or LB. Someone electric and game changing

personally, i get a little uneasy thinking you're going to get an impact OT at 15. You might, but the elite ones seem to usually get off the board earlier. I'm often left to wonder just how much better is the OT late in first round (to make it easier) and in the second or third. So who knows maybe we get someone who is great for our scheme and still there at 15 but i'm not going to complain if JD goes for a different position. He nailed it last year

also i might be a sucker on this but i'm going to cut our O-line from last year some slack. Getting a good QB in synch with the OC is going to cure a lot of things. Rodgers will get rid of the ball faster when he needs to. He'll be able to tell them what he needs from them, and he'll probably be right. His audibles will probably be right.

UK_Chilts and LAJet like this.
  8. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

This draft is not about the future. The jets will draft players who they think will make some sort of an impact and who will see the field this year. That rules out QB and cornerback. I am very interested in seeing who JD thinks fits that bill, regardless of draft position. they actually have a roster that has a player at every position (of course they do), but where does JD think the most impact can come from? I would not be surprised to see a RB or WR drafted early.

9. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

If this is the case then maybe we see a trade of the pick for an established veteran (which I’m good with as long as it’s for a really good T or LB (with another pick coming as well))

10. bleedgreen

sure. certainly possible. but personally i think if JD has a player in mind for 15 and he is available, he drafts him. I am also very interested to see how my thinking compares with reality. In the past we were going after a QB or getting picks to fill numerous holes. Not so this year. A few hours will tell

JetFanInNE likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If he’s available, JSN has to be the pick.

We are thin at the position next year, he’s a top talent, we can open up some cap room with CD and more importantly it’s a signal to AR who had issues with GB never getting him a talented 1st rd WR.

chandler likes this.
  12. bleedgreen

Yup. WR

13. BroadwayAaron

If the top 3 tackles are gone and he is on the board and I would absolutely love it. Would be pretty hard to justify going receiver over tackle though. I think Aaron Rodgers is probably pretty happy with a total stud and Garrett Wilson, his favorite receiver from Green Bay, a burner deep threat and a veteran receiver in Corey Davis. Not to mention the two tight ends being utilized in the Tonyan role.

14. bleedgreen

OT is a popular choice. Even if a highly rated one is available, I don't think they will do it. They have quite a few options on the line, and I assume they have a feel for the injured coming beck. Sure injuries will happen, but they will also happen at WR. But its just my opinion.

15. BroadwayAaron

We have four average to above average to elite wide receivers. We have three tackles, all three of which couldn’t stay healthy. I don’t think that tackle is as big of a need as many do here but it’s very easy to understand why they would go tackle over everything else.

LAJet likes this.
  16. bleedgreen

Yup. the popular opinion. just not mine.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I mean don’t get me wrong, if we end up with JSN I will jump out of my chair and celebrate. I just can’t fathom Joe Douglas going luxury over need.

18. bleedgreen

Just depends on howgood the jets staff thinks the potential players are. Maybe they thinkJSN is another wilson, maybe not. My thinking is the player needs to see considerble field time this year. Until Hall comes back, we are short rb. They may opt for OT. Its wide open. But it will be players who will play this year.

19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

As I wrote on another thread. I wouldn't mind Michael Mayer out of Notre Dame. Mismatch nightmare, and a nice blocker at TE. If all else fails I'd love to get him, but all else has to fail.

20. BroadwayAaron

Are we doing trade rumors in here too?

This would be great. Keeps Hopkins out of Buffalo. Not sure it makes sense for Arizona unless there are a lot more picks coming back. I know he has a big contract but…

If this happens I think JSN to the Cardinals at 11 is a lock.