Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I love Quinnen. I absolutely love him. What I hate is paying DT’s their 2nd contract, they rarely ever live up to it. With the exception of Donald, all the great DT’s tend to play for multiple teams as mercenaries for a contender for a couple of years. DT is a tough position to pay big long term money to.

RochesterJet and amuck57 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A pass-rushing DT is one of the few positions that is worth something like the top salaries right now. Not the Aaron Donald numbers but the tier below.

That's because not a lot of DT's can penetrate for sacks and it's very hard to find 300 lb guys with that quality.

You can teach a QB to be good. You can't teach a 300 lb DT how to thrive in the pit. They either have it or they don't.

BrowningNagle and amuck57 like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Tell the Jets management that.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s any different than any other position really. Buckner and Chris Jones have been equally as dominant. Gerald McCoy was good but probably not as good as his contract said he should be.

Suh is probably the shining example of what you’re talking about so I agree in that it does exist.

5. Br4d

Suh is an example of the kind of DT you shouldn't pay big money too.

Look at his sack numbers. Just definitely not worth the huge contract.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

There’s definitely merit to both sides of the coin. I love Q, and he has improved greatly especially last year. But the entire D improved as well which helped Q tremendously. Paying Q that kind of money means he won’t have all that help, and when he didn’t he was still great but he doesn’t change games on his own. We still need a dominant edge rusher, and if we get one that guy is really gonna wanna get paid. My personal preference at DT is to draft one high, and keep drafting replacements every 4/5 years. DT’s that are good usually play well right from day one. You can get good value on rookie contracts, and you can get good value for one on the trade market.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There is 0.0% chance we don't extend Q and if we didn't, I'd want the whole front office fired. You should too.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how can you be so confident in that?

9. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Pay him! I don't think he has any Mo Wilk in him.

dmw likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I think the biggest advantage a good DT has is that they are lined up against guards.

In a world where every team has a cap on the amount they can spend on resources, guard is typically the spot they have to spend less on. So if you have an excellent DT, you can really take advantage of that.

And in the NFL where everyone is good and there are razor thin margins, DT v. Guard is among, if not the biggest position battle advantage you can get. It is especially meaningful because of the close proximity to the ball/QB

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good point... and the reason Q gets doubled so often.

I hate the term "hidden production"... but Q is a constant worry to opponents and has to be accounted for.

12. Br4d

Guards are underpaid because other positions are overpaid.

A team is probably better off with a good LT, a good LG and a good RG as opposed to the more common great LT, average LG and average RG.

13. BroadwayAaron

I am confident, but obviously that was an exaggeration. You'd just like to assume that our front office isn't stupid enough to let one of the best defensive players in football walk unless his demands are absurd (doesn't sound like they are).

I was also moreso addressing the idea that we shouldn't give a DT his second contract.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Regardless of when they extend Q, the jets need to use a first or second rounder in 2023 draft on DT.
    OL, DL and LB are the three biggest needs.
    I think it was Kiper who recently mocked a TE to the jets in round 2. Is he nuts? The jets already have three quality TEs.
    We need some better depth (and maybe a starter) at DT!!!!

15. BrowningNagle

well if that was the case (smart front office/ reasonable demands) … then they would’ve signed an extension already. Something is holding it up

16. BroadwayAaron

I couldn't fathom what could be holding up a $25 mil per year contract extension... there's nothing else really going on in the front office and our financials are pretty rock solid in terms of how much money is available.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Jalen Carter or Calijah Kancey falls to 13 I'd be all over it. We could keep the average guys we have at edge and the DTs would drive the QB toward them.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Yes they are going to give $100 mil to Rodgers which is why I am a lot less confident than you are about an extension here for Williams

Ralebird likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Not sure you understand the structure of the Rodgers contract.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Q is a great player and he’d be great on any team. But specifically for us, we don’t have any dominant edge rushers … we have several “pretty good” to “solid” edge rushers, so to us specifically, Q is even more valuable. We saw what our DL was when he was out, and it suffered quite a bit. He makes our edge guys better because he demands double teams.

Gotta pay him and keep him

Saw that earlier post about Mo Will being the last first round draft choice that got a second contract from us…that is a TRULY pathetic stat…

Pay the man … if one of our edge rushers improves (and Lawson probably will now being 2 years out from his Achilles), or we find another dominant guy, our DL will truly be elite.

Borat likes this.