Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 7, 2023.

?

Should the Jets go after Lamar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The problem for the Jets is they courted Rodgers and he agreed to play for them, so they can’t jettison getting a deal done for him without betraying whatever they negotiated with Rodgers.

fortunately for the Jets Rodgers is a major asshole, which eliminates any leverage you’d think the Packers have because of the Jets commitment to him. The last thing the Pack wants to do is pay Rodgers just to be a distraction, and he isn’t going to walk away from his contract. They don’t trade him and he’ll show up to camp for spite. The Packers have to trade him if they want to avoid that circus. They just may as well wait until after June 1st to reduce the cap hit, and JD can certainly wait since Rodgers is well versed in the offense they will run.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The way you write this, it's as if the Jets are somehow invulnerable from the machinations of Rodgers. Let's hope no one at Florham Park believes that to be the case.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the funny thing about this post (and I don’t disagree with it) is that the Jets end up with the “major asshole” and that’s a fortunate outcome

Ralebird likes this.
  4. JetBlue

The machinations of Rodgers is only relevant if he has no integrity and would somehow go back on whatever he has discussed with the Jets that have them committed to him. He may be an asshole but there’s no reason to believe he’s stringing them along for some ulterior motive.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just last offseason he did exactly what you describe though. He strung the Packers along all offseason for an ulterior motive: a massive contract extension.

Rodgers is a flake. One minute he loves you, then he goes into a cave and decides he doesn't. Every day the Jets don't close this deal they are closer to having it fall through. All it takes is one other team, ANY team, to poke their nose in with some interest.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As much as I want to agree with you, and believe that is integrity that should drive it, AR has more than once demonstrated that if something the team does at any level pisses him off, and he feels disrespected or whatever, he can turn on a dime and point the finger at you. Thus JD has taken a smart stand in trying to preclude an unexpected exit in 2024. I think he is protecting the Jets and extracting the most he can out of the trade.
    Having said that, I also believe we have something going strong in our favor. AR will play for us with a massive chip on his shoulder, and will want to show everyone how good he still is. Last time he had a chip that big, was when they drafted Love, and he absolutely tore them up as the best QB in the league. If our running game and OL hold strong, he could be deadly. It would be the first time since for ever where the QB is not the Achilles heal of this team, but actually a threat that will have to be accounted for.
    Every time I think back to the games we pissed away last year with zero performance in the 4th quarter, and fucked up ref penalties, like the two against NE for starters, I get sick to my stomach.

JetBlue, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure where the two 1s and two 2s is coming from? By rule, a team that signs Lamar when he’s been tendered the tag he got is that the team gives up two number 1 picks to Baltimore. So if you’re Baltimore, you don’t even have to negotiate a trade or compensation, you sit there, you see the offer sheet he signs with another team, and then you either decide to match it and sign Lamar for that exact contract, or you say fine go ahead and take him and you now give us your next two first round picks. It’s that simple. No mention of any second round picks.

Now all that being said, I assume that Baltimore may be able to say hey, we’re willing to take less than your next two first rounders (say, maybe give us your first round pick plus your 2nd and 3rd rounders this year too)…I guess they’d be able to negotiate if they want to … but why would they?

8. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I want continuity at the QB position. I’m tired of having to constantly change dancing partners. That’s my issue with us & Rodgers. The thing with Lamar is I think Baltimore matches any offer.

Burnz, Ralebird and westiedog1 like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what we thought with Favre though. Same kind of machinations going on when he was trying to wriggle to the Vikings at the end of his time in Green Bay and they wanted anything but that.

Green Bay has to be wondering what happens if they trade him to us and then he gets the opportunity to force his way back to the NFC - maybe winding up in SF or LA for '24. This is actually a pretty good argument for them not hanging us out to dry on the trade conditions.

If we have to give up a couple of high picks for him that increases the chances of us trying to get value back on a later trade if something doesn't work just right here.

10. Ralebird

Rodgers is Rodgers, the guy who claimed he was immunized until he admitted he was not. I'm not close enough to the scene to understand who he will lie to and who he will not.

Br4d likes this.
  11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sign Rodgers soon. Draft Hooker in the 3-4 round area. Carry 3 QB's. And see what happens next year.

Nyjets4eva and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  12. JetBlue

Wait, he lied about not being vaccinated at a time when people who were refusing to toe the line were being ostracized and criticized for not doing so? What unusual behavior to have a semblance of self preservation. Clearly that projects to this situation.

13. Ralebird

He proved he was a liar. He was found out. Anyone can rationalize behavior if they try hard enough. How can you tell when a man is lying?

14. JetBlue

He also told his mother when he was five he didn’t eat that cookie. Don’t trust him!!!

anyone can criticize and try to connect unconnected behaviors if they try hard enough.

15. Ralebird

The thing is, the guy is not five years old, he's a grown man very established and quite successful who should have the moral compass to know right from wrong. I do not understand why a guy in his position would be concerned about being "ostracized and criticized" enough to blatantly lie about something that would be impossible to hide; maybe he expected the Packers would hide it? Partially because of that I also don't understand how he decides who it's okay to lie to and who it is not. My decision is not to trust anything he says; your mileage may vary.

16. JetBlue

Yes, all lies are equal. You are conveniently ignoring the vitriol thrown at anyone, at that time, who had the nerve to oppose the vaccination. They were killing people!!!

17. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I like this. If we can get Hooker in the third round. Fantastic value pick down the line. BTW, did anyone else see Tannenbaum have the Seahawks taking Hooker at the 5th pick lol on ESPN Mock Draft?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  18. Ralebird

I'm ignoring nothing but you're conveniently ignoring the other 2500 players, coaches and staff members in the NFL who were able to cope with the same situation without lying about it. A grown man should be able to shed a bit of vitriol without compromising his integrity. It's got nothing to do with vaccines, it's about lying to those 2500 others and everybody who watches the NFL. He made the bed he has to lie in.

19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Don’t think Hooker last that long but if he does and we don’t try to snag him to be QB3 I would be disappointed

ouchy and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think he goes in Round 2, maybe Round 3. If he wasn't 25 years old and coming off an ACL tear, he could be a top 10 pick.

Nyjets4eva and ouchy like this.