3 students & 3 adult staff members are dead after a shooting at a Christian school in Nashville

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYGalPal, Mar 27, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lets not divert this discussion to alleged trans issue

its an insult to children and adults killed by a weapon of war !!

I know many here on TGG want some gun reform

BUT PLEASE BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS NOW

And please don't answer by saying "its a mental health issue"

We had a semi automatic weapons ban in 1990s but we also had same mentally compromised population

Isn't it interesting this EPIDEMIC of School houses of worship and business assault weapons killings exploded after Congress repealed that Ban in 1990s

Ralebird and Barry the Baptist like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Assault weapons are responsible for 3% of firearm deaths.

I concur that we need to fix this as a societal issue but I don’t think a blanket ban fixes the issue.

DetroitRed likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The shooter was under doctor's care for mental problems. Her parents said she shouldnt have guns. She walked into 5 different stores and bought 7 of them

stinkyB and Barry the Baptist like this.
  4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

really? Why not respond that it’s a mental health issue. Are you trying to say that without the gun, this person was completely reasonable and not prone to violence? Go ahead and pass whatever gun reform that will help. But please don’t extinguish the root cause, or try to silence those who wish to address the issue deeper than the political agenda.

5. typeOnegative13NY

Yup. And that’s where it needs to change.

6. NYJetsO12

"Go ahead and pass whatever gun reform that will help. But please don’t extinguish the root cause, or try to silence those who wish to address the issue deeper than the political agenda."

Yes ..thats right.

What I am really addressing is the moronic Tennessee Republican Congressmen and Nashville State Reps who as group immediately say "nothing can be done"; "we are never changing anymore gun laws" . No empathy ..no understanding. They are money rolled by the NRA and not even caring about innocent children in their constituencies!

Again you missed the point of my originally post>>>>>always plenty of mental health problems since before and after the 90s (that should and must be addressed)...Of course, you and I both know that solving 10 million mental health problems is nothing short of impossible ..please.

But the the re introduction of these military style weapons and easy availability has caused mass shootings to skyrocket in US..So do nothing about that ?? Whats more important a military weapon or the life of a child??

And as I said before ..and from my own professional experience...the only answer is removing these weapons because you cant force someone to take care of their "mental health"...some people are not even aware how bad off they are!

Do you own one these types of guns Type One?? Remember the 2nd amendment was issued to DEFEND yourself and property NOT ASSAULT others

7. NYJetsO12

Yes ..and how do we fix ALL "societal issues"?? Good luck with that lol

So assault weapons may only account for 3% of gun deaths...but who needs them ?? You have one Vilma?? For what????

This is an Epidemic ..and imo that trumps having all you responsible gun owners from having one . Or , better yet , have a Law that says let the gun range store your assault rifle and give to you only when you are there

Here are the facts:
    Mass shootings on the rise
    There have been more than 130 mass shootings across the US so far this year, including the attack at a school in Nashville, in which three children and three adults were killed.

Figures from the Gun Violence Archive - a non-profit research database - show that the number of mass shootings has gone up significantly in recent years.

In each of the last three years, there have been more than 600 mass shootings, almost two a day on average.

8. typeOnegative13NY

Mental health in this country could be dealt with much better, if the answer wasn’t to let papa phizer, and mother Merck raise the kids and young adults in many cases. I’m not missing anything, the guns aren’t the only problem. But the ease for some to get them is a problem.
    We’ve gone through this… I do not own anything like these guns, and don’t intend to ever. I also believe guns should be limited to private property.
    I will say, I did own 2 rifles as an 18 year old I shouldn’t have had. Both were acquired legally, one at a gun show, one at a gun store on Long Island. I wasn’t even present when they were purchased, my friends picked them up for me. If it’s still that easy, then it needs to be stopped. I would never have harmed anyone, but who k owns who would.

And yes, “leaders “ with that attitude towards it are a disease

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I could care less what the person identifies as, I work with a guy named Sam, I also have a female lawyer friend who goes by Sam which is obviously short for Samantha. They both use pronouns in their emails. The fact that people freak out over these things is ridiculous. The fact is someone who was clearly mentally ill, was seeing a therapist for that mental illness had zero problem buying more weaponry than the army of Grenada had to protect themselves from Reagan. I know, I've been to Grenada and seen their defenses.

And yes let's talk about mental health, when members of congress are removing American flag pins from their lapels and replacing them with AR15 pins, when elected representatives are sending out Christmas cards with their 4 year old holding rifles that's mental illness. Ironically too many of them are all lip service when it comes to mental health funding. Many of these same people vote against helping our vets getting the healthcare they need to score political points with knuckle draggers and people who need drool cups. Of course one of those members of congress is a pathological liar who very likely is a spy.

You know we have a serious problem when a student at Michigan State survived a mass shooting at their university 15 months after surviving one in her high school. There were people who survived the Las Vegas shooting only to be killed in another mass shooting at a country music bar months later. I was on the LV Strip an hour before the shooting, I was literally a 10 minute walk from where it took place. I fortunately was home when it started and I would have had no reason to be at a country music concert but it doesn't change the fact that I could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The constant inaction or lack of even giving a shit continues to sicken me, I don't have all the solutions, or answers but you and I both know nothing will change, and unfortunately there will be another thread, in days, or weeks or months talking abut kids who were murdered not while learning history but by a mass murderer that our elected officials allow to be the most well equipped mass murderer on the planet

Dierking and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. typeOnegative13NY

I don’t disagree with any of this. I just don’t think the solution stops with the tool used. Sure, the gun is the sexy instrument in our society, and it’s easy to kill more people. But the division, anger, will still be there, and someone will eventually look up nice France when you take the gun out of their hand. Also, medications are rearranging peoples heads, easpically young people. It needs to stop being the only answer to mental illness. It’s zombifying a portion of the youth. I’m willing to bet it’s the one common denominator between young mass shooters.

11. Barry the Baptist

The crazy thing is I was in Nice last year and had completely forgotten about that, I always thought it was in Marseille but yes that guy killed 75 people with a truck. I walked that promenade so many times in a week totally oblivious to what happened there. We were there during Carnival and the police in military presence was pretty massive. There were also many barriers set up but there were zero signs of that terror attack even taking place.

I'm of the belief that the guns are only part of the problem, one thing a lot of these people have in common is no real criminal history. The Las Vegas guy was a millionaire who lived a quiet life and had no criminal history. What snapped in the old Chinese guy who shot up the dance club at Chinese NY? One of the things I hear from gun advocates is who decides if someone is mentally fit to own a gun and how do you even enforce it? I wish I had the answers but we cannot continue to do nothing either

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. typeOnegative13NY

I think there are many ingredients to this shit stew. Maybe the powers that be need to stop politicizing our differences , and then maybe on our own we will have a natural acceptance of everyone, instead of being told which side we are on and who our enemy is.
    Also, due to the experience around me for decades, I have a deep dislike for psychotropic drugs. Unless they are very stringently monitored in those who desperately need them. I’ve watched them rearrange peoples heads , a few leading to suicides. It’s my belief that it’s easier to use that tactic on disenfranchised youth, than it is to connect with them. Especially with an increasing and diversifying population. And I believe it has drastic consequences, will not be addressed in the same way that the guns won’t… some one is profiting.
    And then there’s the ease of getting guns. How stupid. With all that’s going on, as a gun salesman, how does one not draw their own red flag at this point? This person is buying multiple weapons and a bunch of ammo. Atleast ask some questions.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’d be interesting to see the toxicology reports and prescription drug list of all of the mass shooters to see if there is a commonality to the type of things they are all taking.

A life long prescription of antidepressants and Ritalin can’t be good for some minds. While I’m sure others can handle it just fine.

14. NYJetsO12

He wont Type One ..wanna know why ? big $$$ is coming the dealers way .THATS why we need laws !

I get your good points about antidepressants: they are used and overused prescribed for sleep problems as well and I personally believe in natural answers to mental health problems...For example , if you have been practicing TM meditation and yoga you have a much better chance of having very good mental health and a lot less stress , emotional issues . Check out TM.org

I liked your Post type One: But you have to understand there are many people benefitting from psychotropic medication carefully monitored by a psychiatrist (millions). In my professional experience as Dr I try to get patients to stair step down prescription use to more natural remedies ..but not go cold turkey.
    So please don't go making blanket unscientific statements about mental health and drugs when you don't know all the evidence

#54 NYJetsO12, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  15. BrowningNagle

I guess they aren't so nice in Nice. :)

okay, I didn't mean to make light of that

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

That's right... your little 8 year old Cousin Jimmy can now sit in his seat because he uses Ritalin

As posted to Type One however you must not focus on prescription drugs as a big cause of someone flipping out

Here's the point: Mondays shooter although under a drs care showed no unusual behaviors !! And the availability of an assault weapon was very available ...THATS the problem. Who needs them??? they are DESIGNED for the Military to kill on a mass level in COMBAT. Not for John Q Public ..my goodness

As a Dr I know you could technically ask a pt "do you have any homicidal or suicidal behavior" and pt could deny it but when circumstances change they are then actively suicidal/homicidal>>>>VERY HARD TO PREDICT

Also sometimes pts lie about it (not the vast majority..but some could)

17. BrowningNagle

that is a good point but I think the biggest issue with violence/suicidal reactions is not so much the drugs themselves but what happens when you take them infrequently or stop taking them sadly.
    (so it wouldn't show up in the tox reports)

I am also not sure that's much of a counter argument to weapons bans. If you prove that there are a crap load of mentally unstable people, then it just makes more sense to me to make weapons harder for that population to obtain

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Guns pacify the idiots into thinking they have freedom while all basics across the board are stripped from us(or not given from the beginning) and our inherent wage slave roles are still in place. This country needs something....Lets begin to care about the floor we stand on and the ability to actually be a family and raise your kids right and not have to work 2 jobs or overtime to get by. That will fix these issues over time.

19. NYJetsO12

Thank you for excellent Post

There ARE responsible gun owners. BUT because some people are unpredictable we need a lot more control

FTMR these weapons have NOTHING to do with hunting target practice or defending your home....unless you deluded enough to believe an army of Zombies is coming to attack your family!...just SMH

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  20. Barry the Baptist

This is such an excellent point and while I know nothing about the economic upbringing of this shooter there is an element to people not being able to handle the stress they are under for various reasons. I've lived and spent a lot of time in Asia, my wife is Japanese and we go back as much as we can to visit her family and while some people will point out how it's a homogeneous society (which is largely true although there are a lot of Indians, Vietnamese, Nepalese Thai and Burmese) I like to point out that it takes a lot to fail in Japan. I mean you have to really epically fail because of the social safety nets that in place to prevent failure. That's not to say people don't fall though the cracks like the guy who burned down an anime office a few years ago or the people who did the sarin gas attacks which was about 30 years ago but for the most part it's an unbelievably safe country and violent crime is almost non existent. I can remember the first time I was in Tokyo and really was paying attention to things and there were little girls, like 5 or 6 years old riding the subway alone. Could you imagine that here?

I don't want to paint the picture that Japan is this perfect utopian society because they do have problems some quite large but we should be striving more as a nation to be in categories with them and not El Salvador or Nicaragua when it comes to poverty and violent crimes

NYJetsO12 likes this.