Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good point about the timeframe in 24. We should make it a 2nd in 2025 if he plays in 24, with escalation to a first if we win the AFC in 24.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…I saw something like we’d send them this year and next year 2nd rounders but then we want something back in 2025 from GB if he doesn’t play in 2024

That all makes sense to me

I still think 2 second rounders is a bit steep for a 39 QB who flat out said he was “90% retired”, but we have no better options, and looking at our record with 2nd round picks (even with JD where we took Mims and Moore), it’s not looking great…so I could live with that kind of deal

Nyjets4eva and JetFanInNE like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah but GB isn’t doing that…they want that 2nd second round pick in 2024, I don’t think they’re waiting until 2025 for that 2nd pick to be based on 2024 performance…it’d be great, but I think the structure is more like was said above…

2023 2nd round pick
    2024 2nd round pick but conditional upon 2023 AR performance or Jets team results (i.e. playoffs, Super Bowl, etc.)
    2025 pick back to the Jets if AR retires after one year and doesn’t play in 2024 (I think this is 2025 pick back because AR may decide to retire AFTER the 2024 draft)

That structure makes sense as a fair compromise…it gets the Packers good value back for a HOF and team legend type player but an aging player who is halfway retired already…and it gets the Jets a still very good but past his prime QB who can still be a difference maker, and it gives us some protection if AR only plays one year.

Seems like a decently fair trade

And the fact that JD seemed very confident in his press conference yesterday about our “plan” and our “process” and that he also shot down any talk of looking at Lamar kind of shows me that they are probably getting close on hammering out this deal…

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's definitely possible as well.

I'm not saying CD won't be moved but I don't think it's a slam dunk anymore like I thought a few weeks ago.

Lon Chaney and ouchy like this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The Packers may not want to give back that 2025 pick because if Love era goes wrong it means it could be a high pick.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Rodgers is on this team next year, there will be a "cost" associated with acquiring him into 2025/2026.

I'm no capologist so maybe there's something we can do to eliminate those void years on the back end of Rodgers' deal but as it stands now, as soon as you exercise that 58M option for 2023, that automatically puts ~15M hits in every season from 2023 to 2026.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Which is why I understand why the Jets are asking for it. It makes a ton of sense for a guy that was "90% retired" just a few weeks ago.

I just don't see it as a realistic possibility. I've also never been an NFL GM before so what the hell do I know? It would be a great move for JD to pull off, that's for sure.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Give them a 4th round pick and some footballs.

jetophile likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The one possibility we haven't considered is Rodgers wanting to be traded next year. I can see the, "Rodgers agrees to restructure contract to go to Vikings" headlines now. How would that affect compensation for either team?

10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

IMO the Jets are fine with not reaching a deal before the draft. The offer is on the table, if GB doesn’t accept the offer, JD will pivot and make another reasonable offer after the draft.

dmw and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. I wouldn't be upset if they kept Davis since he knows the system and environment and he can be very productive (although I don't think we've seen his best yet). I won't cry about OBJ if they sign him, but I'd prefer they draft a high potential receiver instead of worrying about OBJ's nonsense.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If were this close it shouldn't be hard to finish. If we want something back in 2025 just in case, work out a 2025 pick swap. We get their 3rd, they get our 5th. Or something like that.

#1292 ouchy, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

exactly…I think this is the remaining sticking point from what I’ve read online…I’m sure GB doesn’t want to give it up, and I’m sure JD is demanding it for a player who very possibly may retire after next year. Giving up 2 high picks for a player who may not even play 2 years is not good business (though I’m sure GB is saying look…he’d be walking away from $60M or whatever that 2024 salary is, so yeah, he may talk but he will play because it’s too much money to leave on the table)

But yeah, I think JD is playing this correctly

Man…can anyone imagine if we had Mac or even worse Bradway as GM trying to negotiate this deal??? Either of them would have gotten FLEECED big time…they both SUCKED at trade negotiations

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. KingRoach

I’d be willing to sacrifice the 2025 pick if Bakhtiari is included in the deal.

Trade back in the 1st, recoup next years 2nd (or 1st) and get Mazi Smith in the later round, pick up our C in round 2 and call it a day.

15. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Close, but could be improved IMHO.

2023 - 2nd round pick
    2024 - 2nd round pick - if AR retires before draft then this pick reverts to Jets
    2025 - 2nd round pick from GB to Jets if Rodgers retires after 2024 draft and does not play the season.

I dont get this contingency crap about moving up to a first if Rodgers plays well, after all isnt the point of getting Rodgers for him to play well and to get us to the playoffs ???

If there is a contingency it should be a two way risk, not a one way.

So, if for example, GB wants the 2024 upgraded to a first if AR gets us to the SB and also comes back for 2024 then conversely it should fall down to a fourth if we dont make the playoffs and AR returns anyways.

burf likes this.
  16. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, you have absolutely no response to my post. Claiming the Packers GM holds on to his picks is a truly dumb statement and not at all persuasive in the very least. The very worst GM"s ever to be in the position keep their draft picks. THAT is pretty assinine since you seem to want to use that word.....

KingRoach likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t need to respond any further or persuade you of anything. Gutenkurst was appointed general manager in January of 2018 and the Packers have a record of 47-19.

He’s drafted four of the five starting offensive lineman for the team and didn’t spend a first round pick on any one of them.

The Jets beat the Packers last year and finished with a worse record so Gutenkurst is a bad general manager. That’s your argument, yes?

Explain what the below means? The best organizations draft well and retain their good players.

HomeoftheJets and ouchy like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He got Doubs in the 4th round, Valdez-Scantling in the 5th, and St. Brown in the 6th.

Meanwhile JD keeps striking out at WR in the 2nd.

19. KingRoach

I’m not sure referencing 3 mediocre receivers with mediocre stats proves the point you want it to.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How much of their success was tied to having a future HOF QB throwing to them? And how much of JD's "striking out" was due to the other problems on offense (Poor QB, OL)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.