Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 7, 2023.

?

Should the Jets go after Lamar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's hung up on the issue because the Browns gave Watson a huge guaranteed contract.

I'll guarantee you that the Haslams are getting a very cold shoulder at the owner's meetings.

2. Br4d

It has very little to do with "can" pull it off and a lot to do with "no fucking way". NFL owners are businessmen too and any businessman will tell you that giving a lot of guaranteed money for a shaky asset is about the last thing they're willing to do.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

But think about it: Look at that haul that they gave away for a lottery ticket versus trading for a known commodity? That just doesn't make sense to me.

4. HackettSuxTNG

The Money may be the one logical explanation. There is NO WAY the Panthers would have had to give up that big a package for Jackson.,

5. Br4d

It's what he is asking for. In the absence of having actual representation nobody is going to approach LJ because there's no point in beginning a relationship with a potential employee by telling him that his request is completely out of bounds.

That's why you have agents. They have the unpleasant conversations and spare the team and the player from having those conversations.

HomeoftheJets and horsehead like this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

That is as good as any explanation I have heard

7. NYsportsfan1962

I agree but wouldn't put it past our desperate owner..

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just can’t imagine a world where a team gives up that capital and money at the same exact time and it works out well for them over the duration of the contract.

Lamar’s awesome but he doesn’t protect himself nor has he consistently worked on his throwing delivery to be more accurate. It’s a scary proposition to go after him.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  9. Br4d

It's going to be very hard to put together an acceptable offer for LJ that the Ravens choose not to match.

The top end of acceptable offers is probably in the 5yrs/$200M with $100M guaranteed range. Ravens are fairly likely to match that unless they are getting a high pick this season.

From the standpoint of the acquiring team they want the 2 1sts in compensation to be the '24 and '25 picks - since if they do things right those will be in the 20's or later. So the offer sheet doesn't get turned in until after the '23 draft is in progress and they have already made their 1st round pick.

This further incentivizes the Ravens to match.

The thing that makes the above scenarios acceptable from an NFL point of view is that the contract is not particularly harmful to the existing contract structures in play. However this puts LJ back in a Ravens uni from '23 to '27 at not much more compensation than he would receive getting franchised 3 times even on a non-exclusive tag. So LJ probably not too happy if he signs the deal above. He probably should be happy with the $100M guaranteed but Watson's contract removes that sense of accomplishment.

Again, the Browns are near-pariah status at this point among the other owners for trading for Watson and signing him to the deal they did.

My guess is they will be near-pariah status in Cleveland also because I think they're not going to be all that competitive with Watson at QB.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

The Browns have really fucked up the entire QB market. And it’s something you can live with if you’re getting a top notch performer but Watson looked like garbage last year.

Which opens up quarterbacks like Lamar to say - I’m far outperforming his contract, I deserve at least what he gets if not more.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Now is the chance, go get Lamar Jackson, Jets.

Just because Rodgers went on his little radio show doesn’t mean you are obligated to do anything

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At any price?

The sticking point remains LJ will cost a ton in money and draft capital, and there is no guarantee he'll stay healthy for even a full season, let alone the length of whatever contract you give him. There's a reason that it's not usually the pure fastest cars that win races - it's the ones that are fast AND reliable. Jackson just isn't reliable.

13. BrowningNagle

I didn't say at any price but Aaron Rodgers will cost a ton of money and draft capital as well. If the two options are close or even loosely close, it is a no brainer to get Jackson.

He said he was offered 3 years 133 from Baltimore. Beat that deal and you are still under the contract Rodgers has. (Aaron Rodgers was given $150M over 3 years last year)

14. ColoradoContrails

Rodgers has actually produced more, and been healthier, even if he's older. Again, the biggest problem is that you can't count on Jackson remaining healthy with his style of play. And even if he says he'll change how he plays, there's no guarantee he'd be as successful doing that.

Also, the total compensation package he was offered added up to around $200M.

15. BrowningNagle

A steal for a player of his caliber just entering his prime

16. ColoradoContrails

You're assuming he's entering his prime simply based on his age, but his body is "older" than his birthday count. He hasn't played a full season the past two years. There is no way to guarantee he'll remain mostly healthy going forward, and it's more likely he'll continue to struggle being able to play a full season. Good news I guess for Zach Wilson though.

17. BrowningNagle

Now that is bullshit if I ever heard it lol.

I wont argue further though, The Jets are so desperately far up Aaron Rodgers ass right now that it really doesn't matter. Sadly, Lamar Jackson aint going to be a Jet.

I hope he goes to Detroit. In that dome on that FAST track, Jackson, Amon-Ra Brown and Jameson Williams would be incredible

18. Jonathan_Vilma

If Jackson played like Russell Wilson did in his youth and slid every single time he was about to get hit, I’d be all in. But for a guy that weighs 210 he sure seeks out contact way too much and mostly doesn’t slide.

He also takes some huge hits in the open field.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Stupidest contract ever signed. They deserve more than a cold shoulder. They set an idiotic standard that now needs to be overcome.

#119 LAJet, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can someone please shed some light as to why, if its such a great deal to go after LJ, there hasn't been one freaking team, and God knows there are many simply one QB away from contention, that has reached out to LJ yet? Not even an ounce of interest right now. If this goes past the draft, seems like LJ is going nowhere.

ColoradoContrails likes this.