Would YOU do this trade for Rodgers??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 23, 2023.

?

Would you do this deal?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    96.8%
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

While I agree that these dead cap hits shouldn't preclude us from doing the Rodgers trade, they have to be a part of the conversation when it comes to compensation for Rodgers.

Like I said above, if the Packers really want a significant pick or two, they need to be willing to absorb a decent chunk of Rodgers' contract. 30M dead cap hits in back to back years can be mitigated somewhat with the cap set to rise over the next few years but that's also 30M in both years that we can't contribute towards the team. That's a significant amount of money, regardless of where the cap ceiling is.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel very confident that JD has set a deadline for this deal. That deadline might not be anytime soon, could be as late as Mandatory Minicamp, but once that deadline has passed we walk and the Packers can be stuck paying 60M to their back-up QB this year.

As you said though, the draft makes more sense as a deadline to me. If we don't get Rodgers, there's a decent chance we have to draft another rookie QB, so I could definitely see that being the final deadline for this deal.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think JD if he has interested team LD should trade their 13th pick for late first round pick and pick up additional picks including 2nd. I would think that would put more pressure on GB to go with JDs whatever initial proposal was. And also pressure GB that the Jets can go elsewhere like the Ravens even if it means giving up their 1st rd pick but have extra picks high up.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Definitely, 100% agreed. Just wanted to make that point before people went crazy over seeing a 30m dead hit. Packers don't seem like a team who would want to take on all that so maybe Borat is right with the 3rd or 4th pick. Wouldn't that be something, huh?

Borat, IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm waiting for it to come out that JD is willing to wait until September for the Packers to release Rodgers.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Zack Blatt you can do better than that!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Just goes to show these writers and “ experts “ have not a clue

HomeoftheJets, stinkyB and NY Jets68 like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I would do it, even though I don't want Rodgers here in the first place.

I fail to understand why you would bring a guy like Rodgers here, if for no other reason, than to go for all the marbles like TB and LA did......and if you are going to do this, you don't want to have a lot of green players on the roster mucking things up. We already see that JD is making moves to bring in veterans like Lazard and Hardman, even though there is a lot of talent at WR, albeit little experience. Now there is talk of bringing Elliot and OBJ on board which would only enhance the argument. With Rodgers at QB, what major difference can a #13 pick make to achieving the ultimate goal? That pick will not be missed, especially if the Lombardi trophy comes to Met Life.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I hope they draft Hooker.

Snatch Catch and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  10. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Sounds like the Jets need to acquire a low 1st round pick to satisfy the packers. 13 is too much. Either a trade down, or swapping 13 for the Packers 2d round, which equates to a pick in the 20s. That would leave the Jets with no 1st round pick but 3 seconds. That's plenty to fill the holes.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

So that's still giving up our first rounder for a guy who has one foot in retirement, is near 40 years old, is only a one-year rental, and isn't even wanted by the team trading him. Way too much. If you're going to do this trade, might as well just send them #13 and be done with it. As far as I'm concerned, they'd be lucky to get the Brett Favre trade compensation.

If the Packers are insistent on a first-rounder, Douglas ought to tell them to lose his number. They're not operating in anything that even remotely resembles reality if they think someone will be dumb enough to give them a first-round pick for Rodgers. And if Douglas actually bends and gives the Pack a first-rounder, he should be fired now instead of waiting for this experiment to crash and burn and be shown the door at the end of the season.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's time for the Jets to move on and make plans to get another QB in this season.

Green Bay is convinced Rodgers is worth the #13 and he really is not. This stalemate isn't going to get broken until the draft and the Jets need to go into the draft knowing they have real QB options available.

Time to let Green Bay live with the consequences of the deal they made with Rodgers last year.

The Jets should pick up a vet who can start next season and maybe draft a rookie in the 4th or 6th to put in the QB room alongside the vet and ZW. Then they can use the 13, 42 and 43 to start to do some of the heavy lifting necessary to fix the OL in a way that does not reliably break down mid-season. Douglas is supposed to know his OL talent when he sees it. Time to prove it by finding those OL in the draft.

If Green Bay really wants the #13 for a QB they can give us Jordan Love.

Dierking, twown and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  13. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

GB makes a stupid deal and they want someone else to pay for it.

Love is getting fed up with GB's BS, too.

Br4d likes this.
  14. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't giving up the #13 overall + more. If it's the #13, then we are getting back a 2nd round pick from the Packers and not giving them anything else. Far more likely to be this year's 2, plus conditional 2 next year.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Jordan Love wasn't worth the 13th pick in 2020. But I agree we need to sign a vet insurance policy pronto.

16. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

no thank you

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think we've been missing something on this trade. The leak about a 2nd rounder and a conditional in next year's draft likely came from the packers (as the Jets don't leak anything) and its likely correct (or the packers would risk looking like idiots if the trade comp was significantly less). We know JD to be a very shrewd trader who does not overpay and we know that GB absolutely needs to be rid of AR and his $100 million remaining guaranteed contract and we know that there are no other suitors for AR. So, then why would JD be offering GB anything like a 2nd and a conditional 2nd or 1st in the following year's draft when GB desperately needs the deal to happen and there are no other takers for AR - why not just offer a 4th round pick or so as GB would have to take it to be rid of AR? Now, a 4th round pick would make GB look like idiots for passing on last year's Broncos offer for AR which was 2 1st round picks, but if the Jets are the only game in town, what else can they do?

I think the key is that AR is due a $60 million payment anytime between now and week 1 of next year. Now, if you're the Jets lets say that in your conversations with AR he said I'm OK taking very little for additional years, but I still want the $100 million remaining on my guaranteed contract for the next 2 years (including the $60 million payment). So, let's say your deal with the packers requires them to pay AR the $60 million payment before the trade, which they don't have to do - they could just leave the amount unpaid and let the Jets deal with it. Now, maybe the Jets have an agreement with AR that he would restructure the contract and, so long as the remaining $40 million is guaranteed, agree to a 4 year deal with a $20 million or so signing bonus and the remaining $20 million guaranteed and due over the next 4 years. This would mean that ARs cap hit would be very small for this year and a manageable $10 million or so for the next 3 years. This would make the entire deal make sense because JD is not just paying a 2nd and conditional 2nd in next years draft for AR, but to get AR cheap for at least 2 years and maybe the next 4 years, if part of the deal is a 2 year extension. Then all the pieces start to fall into place.

However, I think if GB makes that $60 million payment then AR's cap hit for this year rises to $100 million if he's traded before June 1. GB only has $20 million in free cap space with AR counting for about $30 million of their cap, so they'd have to stomach another $70 million in cap hit if they trade him before 6/1. I guess they could do a bunch of restructurings, but I think it would be tough to restructure enough to make it work. The easier option is to do to the trade on June 1 and then take the cap hit at $50 million this year and $50 million next year. Now, I don't know if the NFL lets you do a future trade - a trade where the Jets give them compensation now, but don't actually get AR until 6/1 to spread the cap hit over 2 years (and then what happens if AR gets hurt between now and then). I suppose they could use 2024 and 2025 draft picks and do the trade after 6/1. Alternatively, the Jets could take whoever the packers want with one of their 2nd round picks and then swap that player to GB in a 6/1 trade - but this would require a lot of trust between the organizations because what happens if the trade doesn't then happen - the Jets then used a 2nd round pick on a player they didn't want.

The last part of the puzzle is if GB is holding AR hostage for a deal, which is what the media is portraying, then why isn't AR going out and doing all these interviews calling them ungrateful bastards, etc. AR is not a player who is known for hiding his displeasure. However, if my guesses are right and AR would of course know that then he would know that the deal is done and they are just waiting to make it formal until 6/1 for salary cap reasons.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't make a June 1st trade until June 1st. It's not like cutting a player where you can do it whenever and designate the date as June 1st.