2023 NFL Free Agency - News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Michael Carter also sucks. At North Carolina defenders fell off of him when they tried to arm tackle him through his legs. In the NFL he falls right to the ground and he’s simply not fast enough in terms of short burst acceleration to blast through holes.

Decent player if he plays special teams and catches some balls on 3rd downs.

I liked the pick at the time but it’s just frustrating in retrospect when you look at a team like the Falcons who went and got two physically imposing backs (220+) in the same year and only spent a 5th round pick between both.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The falcon back I'd love to have is Cordarrelle Patterson. Even at his age he still produces all over he field.

Since people wondered into the "use 13 on a QB" idea (which is a terrible idea), I would love to revisit my original thoughts. JDs a deal maker so go make a deal. Off the top of my head:

Offer 13 to Atlanta for Ridder, Patterson, and center Drew Dalman.
    or
    Or offer 13 to Houston for Davis Mills, guard Aj Cann, and edge Jonathan Greenard.

Either of these would be perfect team building.
    Very soft cap hits.
    Fills multiple positions of need, making up for too many trade ups.
    Contain dart throws at young QBs for cheap, and easy to get out.
    Positions us for a FA bonaza next year.
    Can then use both 2nds to fill out the roster.
    If neither QB works out we are ready to go QB next year with a quality roster.

Seriously, this is a much better idea that throwing another 1st round dart at QB this year, or the desperation course we are on with Rodgers.

#282 ouchy, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Bellys Lies likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Jackson is asking for so much money that the only WRs they can sign are cheap ones like Agholor who signed for 3 million base with incentives. Jackson is driving his own bus.

LAJet likes this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Looks like they actually are interested in Ben Jones. Hopefully they can manage this such that either Jones or one of the top rookie centers is their starter

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Meh. We need a long term option at center. We’re doing the same thing at center that we did at runningback.

Go draft a young center and let him own the position for a decade. It worked last time we did it. We haven’t even take a prospective late round center since Mangold retired which is mind blowing.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That would be my option A too. I see Jones as a fallback if they can't get a C in the 2nd

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know if Ben Jones will make it to the draft as a FA.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's a 33 year old Center. I will absolutely shoot myself if our OL fix is to go get another guy who is likely to get hurt by November.

Earth to Joe Douglas! Haven't you seen this play out enough by now or are you just stupid?

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

We need OL depth, signing him doesn't mean we don't draft a C, just insurance in case the one we want isn't available or they need a few games to get acclimated. I would not mind the signing at all.

ColoradoContrails, JetFanInPA and AG3 like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

One of the two picks in the second round will absolutely be used on Center whether its Schmitz, Tippman, or Wypler. I think it's clear that Douglas didn't want to part with our 2nd round in '23 which is why he did the Moore trade to get a 2 back that will be shipped to GB in part of the Rodgers trade.

I would be okay with Jones as a backup to one of the 3 rookies. Hell, I would be okay with Jones starting until he gets hurt.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s not that it’d be a bad signing, it’s just frustrating that the Jets have looked to free agency to sign stopgap players at positions that most franchises easily fill in the middle rounds of the draft.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Signing Jones in no way, shape or form precludes us from getting a C with the second pick. I have no doubt the second pick is targeting a C. Good depth with starting capability if needs be. I think there is enough of a concern with our current C to merit that.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

i just want to point out that some of the folks here that are scoffing at signing Jones, would be the first to criticize JD for nor signing sufficient back up in the OL if an injury at center, be it the rookie or a vet was to occur.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is bad business to sign a pro bowl center and then draft one in the 2nd round. There's no way that happens... well I hope it doesnt anyway, choose one or the other. There are other needs

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How is it bad business? The cap isn't real and at most what is he going to get? 5 million with 1-2m on the cap? Who cares. It's a big nothing burger. Signing Ben Jones doesn't hinder the Jets in any way shape or form to sign whatever is left in the FA market. It's obvious we need a young C, but signing Jones should have absolutely no impact on that.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Resource allocation is important. I am not against signing Ben Jones, I think it could be a quick fix actually. But to follow up with a 2nd round pick at the same position? no way. half the defensive line left in FA, linebacker is weak etc.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And if he did you suggest - sign Jones and NOT draft a C in the 2nd round - you'd criticize him for that.

We need to FINALLY rebuild the OL with young. quality, players. Signing or trading for vets is ok as a stopgap but doesn't eliminate the need to do the former.

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What was Baltimore’s excuse the 1st 5 years when he was on the cheap?

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

By half, you mean 1 starter and 1 rotational piece?

Lon Chaney likes this.