Florio tells JD to Grow a Pair

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Mar 23, 2023.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ime-for-the-jets-to-act-like-new-yorkers/amp/

In dealing with the Packers, it’s time for the Jets to act like New Yorkers
    Mike Florio
    14 hours ago

It’s been a week since quarterback Aaron Rodgers made a public plea for the Packers to be reasonable in their expectations from the Jets. In the past seven days, neither team has budged.

The Packers, as Rodgers said, are digging in their heels. The Packers, as we have reported, are content to wait until the draft to do a deal. The Packers, as I personally believe, have allowed the situation to become petty, and personal.

It’s not personal. It’s strictly business. And it’s time for the Jets to take a page from the Marty Lyons playbook and give the Packers the business.

These are the New York Jets. Technically, the New Jersey Jets. They should start demonstrating some of the attitude that those in their fan base would exhibit when dealing with difficult people in challenging situations.

The Jets need to go on the offensive. They perhaps need to be a little offensive. They need to tell the Packers how it’s going to be.

Why do you think Packers CEO Mark Murphy has suddenly opted to zip it? They know they’re running a grift by acting like they have the upper hand.

They don’t. They owe Rodgers nearly $60 million, fully guaranteed, for 2023. If they don’t trade him by Week One, his $58.3 million roster bonus becomes 2023 base salary — sending his cap number through the roof.

Amazingly, there are smart (supposedly) people who think the Packers actually have the leverage here. Much of the media has fallen in line with that mindset.

But the Jets don’t need Rodgers right now. They don’t need him for the early stages of the offseason program. They arguably don’t need him for OTAs, not when he: (1) knows the playbook like the back of his giant hand; and (2) probably doesn’t want to show up before training camp, anyway.

It’s always critical, in a deadline-driven business, to get two negotiating parties to agree on the deadline. The Packers think the deadline is draft. The Jets should take the initiative and say, “No, it’s the start of training camp.”

The Jets should make a non-negotiable offer that will remain open until the 2023 draft. They should tell the Packers that, after the 2023 draft, the non-negotiable offer will pivot to the 2024 draft — and possibly 2025, in the event Rodgers plays in 2024. They should tell the Packers the non-negotiable offer stays on the table until training camp opens.

At the same time, Rodgers should tell the Packers that, if he’s not traded before the start of training camp, he’ll be showing up, just like Brett Favre did 15 years ago. Rodgers should tell the Packers that he’ll be there, and that he’ll stay there, until he’s traded.

Rodgers also should tell the Packers that he fully expects to participate in practice (by rule, the team can’t put him on ice), creating the risk that he’ll suffer a season-ending injury that will put the Packers firmly on the hook for his full compensation package.

It will take coordination and commitment from the Jets and Rodgers to pull this off. But the Packers have been punking the Jets in part because the Packers believe they can. The Jets need to punch back, aggressively, to make the Packers realize that they don’t hold the cards on this.

Taking an aggressive stand with the Packers would have a collateral benefit. Rodgers clearly wants someone to take up his cause that the Packers are being prickly (or prick-y) about the situation. If the Jets tell the Packers to shove your feckin’ cheese up your ass, Rodgers will become even more determined to do everything he can to repay the Jets with a great performance in 2023.

Hell, maybe he’ll even gather his future teammates in California or wherever to get acquainted with them, on and off the field, as he moves closer to inevitably becoming a member of the team.

That’s the reality here. He will inevitably be a Jet. At the very absolute latest, it will happen just before Week One. The practical deadline is (or should be) the opening of camp. The sooner the Packers realize that, no, they don’t have the better of the leverage here, the sooner the deal will be done and everyone can move on.

And the best way to make that happen will be for the Jets to start acting like they’re from the place where the state bird is the middle finger.

mileena, JetsNation06, Cosmo and 7 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe he should have directed that broadside at Woody Johnson too..

Acad23, papapump and Since1969 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly what JD did. He probably made them a non negotiable offer of conditional 2024 pick. Plus something like a 4th this year. If this goes past the draft, they lose the 4th pick. Which is why now GB is saying he is low balling them and are taking their time now. They have until the draft, at which point I suspect the deal will be done by GB accepting the offer that is on the table today.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

“Act like a NYer” is funny, Joe Douglas is a country boy from virginia

Cman68 and hornblower like this.
  5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Honestly. This trading game is where I really do trust Joe to know the game he's playing.

After what he did to Seattle and trading cashman, he knows what he's doing here.

The squeeze is on.

I can also imagine he's walked woody through every step and next step, so woody doesn't get desperate and give in.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

egelband, Jets79, Cosmo and 7 others like this.
  6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Isn’t he showing he has big balls by not already giving into what GB wanted and playing hard ball? Hasn’t he shown he fucks most of the league in trades since he’s been a GM, prob his strongest asset so far. Wtf is Mike talking about sthu and let JD work!

egelband, Jets79, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Florio doesn't know if JD has proposed anything like this or not and if JD did propose this, we'll probably never know. Maybe when JD writes his memoirs 25 years from now - then we'll know. Anyway, JD has proven to be a great trader, so I'm not concerned about how he's handling this trade.

themorey and Nyjets4eva like this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I didn't take this as if Florio is knocking JD in any way. It was a good article for any of us who might be panicking about the Jets' leverage.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what Douglas is doing right now? The trade would be done by now if he wasn't. Clearly both teams are willing to wait a little bit. Its just a matter of who blinks first. JD is clearly "acting like a New York," whatever that means.

I feel like the media are running out of stuff to talk about.

Nyjets4eva, HomeoftheJets and Borat like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Most of the biggest sports personalities are also the biggest shitbags in media, and Florio is the gold standard for that rule. Fuck that guy. Although he raises some good points.

The Jets should just tell Rodgers to show up for voluntary workouts in Green Bay and make them shit themselves.

#10 abyzmul, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    NY Jets68, JETFUEL1580 and papapump like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I "Liked" the OP on the basis that I agree that Douglas should play hardball with GB and demonstrate to the rest of the NFL that the Jets aren't pushovers to be taken advantage of as they've been in the past (before Douglas). I don't agree that Douglas should - or will - make any of his efforts public or "flip the NJ State Bird" at GB, or in general act like a character from the Sopranos.

And because Douglas has previously shown his ability at getting better in return than he gives up, I trust him to do so again with Rodgers and GB. Actually, now that I've taken some time to think about it, I'll just remove my "Like" since I actually don't agree with the suggestions made by Florio.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

Gotta say I can't listen to Florio. He witters on endlessly and does my head in. Bit of a shame as Chris Simms is okay but as Florio is so bad I'm not tuning in.

As a result he can fuckoff.

As if Joe D needs advice from him.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, Florio is definitely talking like a NY media loud mouth, that's for sure, without effectively knowing fuck all as to what exactly is going down, where they stand, how much influence is Woody exerting in the whole thing.
    i agree, JD should grow a pair, and tell him to fuck off like AR did to Sheftner. Florio continues to display his propensity to reflect the worst NY media has to offer.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and SOJAZ like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Makes me miss the heady days of JD promising us he intends to build a perennial contender.

Nyjets4eva and Cman68 like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I missed it. Are you surmising that by Florio's idiot comment?

16. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Agreed

LAJet likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"New York media loudmouths" report and comment on a team that has lost 57% of the games they played in the last thirty years. Are they supposed to spin that into unicorns and rainbows?

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So because the team lost 57% of the games as if we didn't know the history, is ok for them to talk absolute BS on a subject they have zero information about what the current status is? Like Doggie ranting and raving for two fucking hours on AR being a prima donna and holding up the negotiations, blah, blah, blah BS while in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. Talk about unicorns and rainbows. Bunch of buffoons' searching for an audience.

KingRoach likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There's nothing funnier than watching Florio & Simms trying to fill air time with their idiotic babbling.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD doesn’t have a pair at all. Been saying this from the start. he’s too careful but i think he’s still doing a good job.