What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I guess that's kinda my point. We can't really get to that point and have those conversations until we have Rodgers in the fold, know what his cap hit will be in '23, if he's willing to restructure, etc.

This is all hypothetical which is why I'm still not in favor of giving up a 1st unless it's highly conditional (SB appearance) and even then it would be a '24 1st, but I think at some point both sides will have to compromise a bit to get this deal done.

joelip likes this.
  2. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

A more recent comment that indicates that AR as the Packer starter in 2023 is delusional:

“He definitely needs to play,” general manager Brian Gutekunst said at the Scouting Combine. “I think that’s the next step in his progression. I think he’s ready for that. Not every quarterback comes into this league ready to go out there and play. I think he needed a little time but, over the last year-and-a-half or so, we’ve seen that’s the next step in his progression. He needs to go out and play.”

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Plus every trade is a draft asset. You know JD loves his picks. At this point I just think it is fairly obvious: when it comes to this trade JD just waits until the draft for the GB to cave.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If you really think he’s the missing piece then make the deal already. Swap 1sts, throw in a second, who cares right? We are told he is the missing piece

missed opportunities every day with guys that supposedly would love to play with Rodgers. We could have Thielen, Jamaal Williams, but instead Douglas can’t make the deal. Best of luck to those guys

5. BrowningNagle

And we get what out of that? We win the draft day headlines? Champions of April for the 13th year in a row... oh but Randall Cobb will still be available

6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, but it is clear that AR's physical abilities have declined over the years. It's also clear that he has had one foot or more (90%?) into thoughts of retirement. He is an aging quarterback in the twilight of his career who struggled last year in mediocrity.

Who is to say that he would not have similar 2022 results with the Jets in 2023? Even if he plays well, does that guarantee that the Jets overcome the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc. and make it to the Super Bowl? If he gets hurt (like Favre did), JD will look awfully foolish for paying top dollar for an aging if not washed-up AR, particularly if the Packers have no real options but to let him collect 59M to sit at home or trade him for some compensation and cap relief.

Br4d likes this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I can tell by your posts you can’t tell the difference btw fact and opinion.

You’re one of those guys who says “well I know what he said but in my gut I think he means something else.”

8. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

There are no guarantees for any team.

9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

He said the Packers would want 2 firsts. He then said the Jets shouldn’t give up two firsts….. yes, he’s negotiating with himself and some idiots think he has some inside info on the negotiations.

10. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Did you miss the part about how he had a broken thumb on his throwing hand last season? How about the back-to-back MVPs the two years before that? Bad year? Decline? Cool…

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we hadn't flown out to meet Rodgers the perception of leverage would be all in our favor.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This part makes me think the Packers are being a bit disingenuous. I find it highly unlikely JD wouldn't have wanted some sort of tentative agreement in place with GB prior to flying out to see Rodgers.

It may not have been a 100% done deal before flying out to Cali, but something like "If AR agrees to play this season and play for us, this (insert compensation here) is what we'd be willing to offer", and I'm assuming the Packers said, "Sure, we can get into the nitty gritty later but this seems like a good starting point. Go ahead and go talk to AR". Now for whatever reason, it feels like to me the Packers are walking that back and trying to get more out of us because they feel personally slighted by the way AR talked about them on his McAfee appearance.

This is all speculation on my part but in my dumb fan brain, it checks out.

14. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

Why? The Jets actually GAINED leverage once they convinced Rodgers to want to play for them and ONLY them.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Br4d

The visit was a full week before the McAfee show appearance. I think the Packers are just screwed no matter what they do at this point and the only way out for them is if we overpay for Rodgers in a big way and justify the cavalcade of errors they have already made.

If they want to dump the contract they need to do it in a way that is very favorable for us.

If they don't want to do that?

We should move on. There's no point in making a big error to help the Packers recover from their series of big errors. That just makes us the patsy in the situation and patsies don't tend to profit.

16. BrowningNagle

Dont you think it is odd or concerning that we are the only team interested in taking on Rodgers in 2023? The only team and that includes the Packers

NY Jets68 and joelip like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We need to have patience. Douglas isn't going to overpay for Rodgers. If he has to he'll walk away, just like he would if he were negotiating to buy a car. Walking away from a deal for something you want is easier than being the person who needs to sell the asset. GB needs to trade Rodgers, it's that simple, but if they refuse to do the deal, Douglas will walk away and come up with a Plan B. I'll be disappointed and discouraged if that happens, but that's life as a Jets fan.

18. Br4d

Under the right circumstances having Aaron Rodgers play for us in 2023 could be a good move. Those circumstances being that we pay a reasonable price for one year of a good QB. A deal similar to the Favre deal is likely the most we should consider paying for Rodgers at this point.

However there are all sorts of ways the deal could go sideways for us. His contract is huge for the next two years. He's at an age where his skills transferring smoothly can't be considered a given. If we give up a lot of value for him in addition to the first two cases we could wind up looking like fools who got taken for a ride by a sounder organization.

One of the things that Rodgers could do for us is make it a bit easier to get people like Quinnen Williams to re-up smoothly. However if we get taken for a ride in the deal it could make it just as likely that somebody like Q becomes harder to sign without paying a King's fortune.

What I'm trying to say is that this may look like a simple deal from the outside but it could cost the Jets a couple of hundred million before all is said and done if the situation comes apart at the seams after we make the deal.

joelip and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Thielen and Williams? No thanks. The WR room is pretty much set, probably add in a mid round pick.

And $8 million for a RB?

Br4d likes this.
  20. Br4d

The Jets should draft a RB in the mid-late rounds to add to a RBBC this season. We'll know a lot more about how much help the Jets need in the backfield based on how Breece Hall recovers through the season.