What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Conditional 3rd

AR's at the end of his career and turning 40 while doing psilocybin mushrooms in darkened rooms....throw in Corey Davis if GB wants a body to go with it...

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd be good with the face-saving move for Green Bay of giving them Elijah Moore and a conditional pick in '24 depending on Rodgers and the Jets performance this season and allowing them to return the conditional pick for a better conditional pick in '25 if Rodgers is playing '24.

Say make it a 4th rounder in '24 that becomes a 3rd rounder if Rodgers leads the Jets to the playoffs, a 2nd rounder if they make the Super Bowl and a 1st rounder if they win it. If Rodgers is coming back for '24 they can decide not to take the '24 conditional and receive a '25 conditional instead with the same terms. Gives them twice the chance to get a 1st out of the Jets if the Jets manage to win a Super Bowl in either '23 or '24.

3. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Green bay could say they are holding on to Rodgers. He is already in their cap. If he is unhappy he can retire which saves Green Bay millions, If Love is the qb they think he is great,if not run Rodgers out there again Hold on to Rodgers and wait for a team that becomes desperate for a qb to make the playoffs .I could see Miami ,San Fran Vikings, Dallas,etc. realizing in Sept. they need AR and the cost of 1st and 3rd in 2024 is nothing in the overall picture. Miami paid that much to talk to Brady . The craziest thing would be that the packs trade Jordan Love instead. In that division with Rodgers you win it the next 2 yrs. I just do not see Love qbing the packs after Favre and Rodgers. Rodgers retires as an all time great in Green Bay where he always remembered as a legend. Brady did win a Super Bowl as a Buc and Montana did win some after San Fran, but as a qb except for Drew from the Saints , you are always tied to your first team. Rodgers wins 20 more game in the next 2 yrs for the Packers and 2 playoff wins,very possible. Doing the same for the Jets very possible but it also has a ton of risks

mrodriguez4096 likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets do not need to hold until the season starts.

They just need to wait until April 30th.

By then, the Jets will have shored up their OL, and have a few more picks and whatnot. Who knows? Jets may strike gold and get a diamond in the rough in day 3, a la Marques Colston or Brock Purdy (or both!) GB will know they won't hold Jets hostage with that almost-retired QB they've got. (And he will be their headache then. Don't forget that Rodgers has no-trade clause in his contract. It's not even like GB can ship him off because they want to.)

5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

That’s actually not true from what I read, he doesn’t have a no trade clause. But also he could just retire and not play. So I guess it’s the same thing lol

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Zach's contract, like all 1st round rookie deals, is fully guaranteed. The only way we move on from Zach is a Post June 1st trade, anything else makes no sense and costs us money in the long run. I would much rather keep him on the roster for the next 2 years and hope something clicks with him than trade him after June 1st this year and have 5M dead cap hits in '23 and '24 while only saving 3.8M against the cap in '23.

Here's Zach's contract on Spotrac, click on that little red X next to 2023 and it breaks down each scenario where we move on from him. Unless we get a semi-decent pick (4th/5th or better), I see no way we move on from Zach anytime soon.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

In Wingo we trust.

Trade will be done today or early this week.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yea he said it was on the 1 yard line like a week ago lol

9. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

He said early next week, which is now.

10. BrowningNagle

we will wait with bated breath then… or at least until he tweets again with a new timeline

11. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

The Packers should give the Jets assets to take that disgusting contract off their books

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Lots of very very good points /s

GB should absolutely look into trading Rodgers to the Vikings. Dallas and SF were also very good suggestions. /s

And who cares about the salary cap as having AR on the team only costs the Packers $15 mm this year…. Being on the team this year also adds about $20 to the 2024 cap and another $20 in 2025.

In conclusion, caring an extra $100mill on the cap hoping a Division or Conference rival comes thru with a ridiculous offer is the plan I would expect for fans to get behind

13. BrowningNagle

why would you trade a 1st and an additional pick for the rights to Aaron Rodgers & $150 M contract, when you could go for two firsts, same money and get Lamar Jackson for 10 freakin years?

KingRoach and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Considering that both the Packers and the Jets appear to be in no hurry to make a quick deal, here is one possible scenario:

The Packers know they get some cap relief by waiting until after June 1. They then can spread some of the money owed to Rogers over two years. They may be focusing on that relief. However, if AR says he wants to play in 2023 and demands the balance of his contract, he will be owed a total of more than $59 million in September.

If I am JD, I'm relishing not giving up ANY draft picks in next month's draft. At worst, I think the Packers will inevitably come around to cutting/trading AR in September rather than paying him the guaranteed $59 million bonus and salary due then. It's also doubtful that they will let him disrupt their plan to start Love this year. Love has said that he will demand a trade if the Packers take back AR as their starter. The threat is that AR shows up and demands to compete for a job and to receive the balance of his $59 million. His relationship with Packers management has soured to the point that he is evidently quite capable of doing this, particularly if he feels that his wish to play for the Jets has been crushed. The Packers then have the choice of cutting AR, letting him sit at home collecting cash, or trading him for what they can get. Only a trade can give them significant cap relief.

At that point, I offer the Packers both a conditional 2024 3rd round pick that can escalate to a 2024 first round pick based on performance and a similar conditional 3rd to first round 2025 pick. The Packers then have the protection of getting two possible first round picks if AR tears up the league in 2023 (gets to the Super Bowl?) and remains on the Jets roster in 2024. On the other hand, the Jets are protected if AR's 2022 season was not merely a fluke but an indication of declining skills, lack of motivation to exert himself, etc.

Oh, and a side note. JD's retaining of all his 2023 draft picks enables JD to build a solid team around the aging quarterback. AR might appreciate that the Jets are doing everything they can to prioritize giving him weapons. He will note that this was not the case when the Packers drafted Love.

#154 joelip, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    KingRoach likes this.
  15. Br4d

Green Bay is fine if he retires. As long as he stays retired. I believe that if he retires prior to the end of the option deadline and then returns afterwards Green Bay has to carry the whole $59M on their cap this season.

16. Br4d

Cutting Rodgers at any point just makes all of the guaranteed money he is due in the contract vest all at once and come due.

There's no cut option for green Bay.

17. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a foolish idea. However, reading some of the comments by die-hard Packer fans, it seems that some would prefer screwing up their cap out of spite for AR rather than trading him for what they consider "peanuts" (despite the fact that they would likely get some significant cap relief if AR ends up cooperating with the Jets to redo his contract).

18. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Here is and interesting take of what Peter King wrote on his column today.

6. Green Bay. While we’re on the subject of Rodgers, two points about the Packers:

• I think it’s silly to try to get a first-round pick off the Jets this year. New York picks 13th in the first round, and with no apparent guarantee that Rodgers, entering his age-40 season, will definitely play in 2024, the Jets would be foolish to give up a pick that could be used on the second- or third-best offensive lineman in the draft—to protect Rodgers. (If that’s how they choose to use the first-round pick.) The fairest deal: Jets trade a second-rounder this year (43rd overall) and a conditional pick in 2025, not 2024, based on whether Rodgers plays football for New York in 2024. If he plays 100 snaps or more in 2024, the Jets give Green Bay a first-round pick. If Rodgers plays less than that, the Jets give Green Bay a third-rounder. So if Rodgers plays two years for New York, the price is a first- and a second-; if he plays one year, the price is a second- and a third-. I totally see Green Bay’s point about playing hardball for Rodgers, but the 13th pick in the draft for a guy who might play one year? I don’t see it. Unless Rodgers flat-out guarantees the Jets he’s there for two years, minimum, I’m not considering paying the 2023 one for him.
    • Having covered Brett Favre from Green Bay to the Jets 15 years ago, I find this one part of the comparable stories to be eerily similar. Green Bay GM Ted Thompson wanted an all-in Favre in March 2008, Favre wasn’t willing to commit to being an off-season warrior, and retired before coming back in a trade to the Jets. I think when this story is finished, we’ll see that Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst wanted an all-in Rodgers in March 2023 and knew he wouldn’t get it. More evidence for that got piled on the other day when Rodgers told Pat McAfee he was 90-percent retired when he went into his recent darkness retreat. So just like the late Thompson turned to the unproven fourth-year former first-rounder, Rodgers, to step in for Favre, now Gutekunst turns to the unproven fourth-year former first-rounder, Jordan Love, to replace Rodgers.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Peter King Is a clown. He Is the dude that initially said the NYJ will need to give two 1st round picks to the Packers to make a trade happen for Rodgers.

BacktoQueens, abyzmul and Br4d like this.
  20. Br4d

Peter King is a Jet-hating clown.

IIMeanDeanII and abyzmul like this.