What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sold that JD will be fired if the Rodgers thing goes sideways. I smell a whole LOT of Wood Johnson on this one. Firing JD for executing Johnson's "will" would be a very bad look. Having said that...

I like what Florio said in the article Joelip shared. The Jets ARE in the catbird seat on this one. They could conceivably wait all the way up to the start of camp. This isn't a rookie we are going after. This guy, health willing, can step on the field, for the first time, day 1 of camp and let it rip. As Florio points out, Rodgers can always hold a number of "meet and toss" with the skill players and build chemistry that way. Either way, the longer we wait the more secure that 2023 1st round pick is to grab a top O-Lineman. In fact, O-line needs to be picks 1 and 2...maybe more.

Another point, we are a decade removed from the Favre trade so that example is irrelevant. Doesn't apply today. Green Bay WILL get a 1st round pick but, as far as I'm concerned, it can be no sooner than 2024. IF things go according to plan, Rodgers stays healthy, the Jets SHOULD make the playoffs and go deep. That 2024 pick would be more like a high 2nd at that point. As of today, next year's draft has right around 15 or 20 players that garner a 1st round grade. Obviously that's a long way off and a whole lot can change but you have to roll with what you know. I'd be good with a 2024 #1 and a 4th that could bump to a 3rd depending on 2023 results. (I could be persuaded to part with a 3 that bumps to a 2 but I don't think it needs to get there)

To address the whole Wilson thing. The kid is supremely talented and, if we can get his head squared away, COULD end up being something. Now, Rodgers is the LAST guy I would want a young player to emulate or learn from as far as off the field goes but he's 100% someone I would want influencing the kid's football play. Unless we are looking at someone like Matt Ryan et. al, assuming he would even take the bait, to come in as a back up we are stuck with Wilson. I'm sorry but it's a pipe dream if anyone thinks another team is going to take Wilson off our hands. The only way that kid makes another roster is if we out right release him. So, we either have a "reasonably priced" backup QB who has the potential to learn and grow into something serviceable or we let him walk. All indications are to the former. I've seen no indication that Saleh and/or JD have any intention of letting the kid walk. Contrary actually. IF you believe their previous statements, they want to teach him and help him grow. I'm O.K. with that as long as, short of an injury, the kid doesn't see the field for a good long while.

On a side note, I'm in the minority of people who would rather do the Lamar Jackson deal. NY is not Baltimore and he will not be asked to run NEARLY as much thus reducing his number of carries translating to a healthier player that can last the season. I've seen no indication that he couldn't be more of a pocket passer. Jackson could be our QB for the next decade. Seriously, you think he WANTS to go out there and get his bell rung on every play. I don't think so. However, unless the Rodgers deal DOES go sideways, this never happens.

Brook! likes this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He already did it with the Favre debacle. Woody was the one driving that train as well and promised Mangini that he was safe no matter how the Favre "experiment" ended, and then turned around and fired Mangini the day after the regular season ended. And that was when they succeeded in securing Favre's services. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Woody sent Douglas packing if he fails to acquire Rodgers.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Never underestimate Woody’s ability to make a stupid decision

papapump likes this.
  4. Khan

Khan Active Member

Promising the coach is a little different from the GM that is orchestrating the deals, but sure, I wouldn't be surprised either. And someone had to take the fall for Vernon Gholston.

mezzavo likes this.
  5. mezzavo

This... Again, we are in a VERY different time. If JD got stupidly fired by Woody, there are a line of teams that would sign that guy in a heartbeat. For a "rookie" GM, Douglas has done surprisingly well, all things considered. I don't know. Woody is such a tool. There are days where I "hope" he goes full Daniel Snyder so he's forced to sell the team. However, I digress...

If the Jets stick to their plan and don't get impatient, they can get Rodgers for FAIR compensation and that certainly doesn't equate to 2 #1's.

Khan likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One difference between this and the Farve deal is GB already knew Rodgers was going to be great when he took over. He'd showed it in practice for years so they had confidence going forward. Regardless of what they say about Love, I don't think they really believe he is their next FQB, and they know they are going to need future ammo to keep looking.

Brook!, Khan and abyzmul like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

What is the deadline to make an offer to Lamar Jackson?

KingRoach likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Favre was also already “retired” and these conversations occurred in August not February/March

ouchy likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Luckily AR makes $60mm not $30mm

JackBower likes this.
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

All Packers fans seem to think we have to give them what they want because we need Rodgers because we are in "win now" mode. Am I missing something? We have a very young club, most of these guys will be here for the next few years. We can roll with Zach or sign a stopgap and not have to lose a first round pick in the process.

Joe Douglas is a brick wall and is a master negotiator. I think anything more than a 2023 second and a conditional 2024 pick is asking for too much.

Packers need to be reasonable. Rodgers is going to be 40. The organization has stated they don't want him. So they either trade him to us, because no other team is interested
    Or they keep him and have to pay him guaranteed money. Or he can just retire and they get nothing.

papapump likes this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Either way, I found it pretty much impossible that he will be on the Packers with how this has played out. The money just makes it even more obvious.

If they do, it'll either be one of the worst decisions in GM history or one of the most savage.. absolutely no in between

KingRoach likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd do the Lamar Jackson thing only if I could get him to agree (and I believed him) that he'd stop running and only move out of the pocket when pressured to. I'd tell him straight up that we'd never call a run except for a sneak for a 1st down.

I think he's a very talented passer and I'd be happy having him only in that capacity. I'm just worried sick about the injury chances that eventually catch up to him when he runs with abandon. There's no way he's going to avoid a major career-changing injury if he keeps scrambling the way he does. *Everybody* who scrambles like that eventually takes the hit he can't recover from. Look at what happened to Andrew Luck who had a really good head on his shoulders and only ran/scrambled about a third as much as LJ does.

He's an incredible runner but that just doesn't matter when the guy getting taken out the game or season at a bad time is your QB.

mezzavo likes this.
  13. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Due to Rodgers age and his current unstable state of mind(flip flopper on retirement, what's to say he comes to NY and in August after a summer with our media, he decides F-this, I'm retiring, it's possible WITH HIM), you can't give them too much for 1 year UNLESS he performs well. With that said, it's a CONDITIONAL pick in my mind.

3rd round conditional pick, up to a 2nd if we make Playoffs and up to a 1st if we WIN a Superbowl.
    + If GB wants 1-3 of our backups(Mims etc, I'm ok with that, to a certain point. Not Huff though.

14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Jets need to be patient and play the long game in waiting out the Packers. Jets should bring in a couple of QB’s just to nudge the Packers.

The ex GM of the Eagles just stated that the Jets have ALL the cards. None of this, we need to be nice and fair. Oh Hell no, how many times has our team been used to up the ante? It’s time to really negotiate, no 1’s or 2’s. Take the 3rd and call it a day. We are really sorry that your GM sucks and didn’t trade AR for a boatload last year, just not that sorry.

In regards to ZW, I think we all just have to let that play out. It’s all on him to try and change the way he’s been doing things.

Go JD! Stay strong.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

There is no rush Rodgers knows the Hackett offense. We go as far as the QB goes correct? A 2nd should close the deal besides, we are taking on his big contract. As far as JD getting fired Woody might as well sell the team. JD is easily a top 5 GM in the NFL.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I believe the Jets will end up paying more the AR than originally planned. That just my opinion.

That said, while it is not my highest preference, I do consider that going after Lamar may be better for the Jets especially in the long run. With AR we just basically have two cracks at going deep in the playoffs or to SB. That’s it. I am not a Jet fan who is just looking for couple of winning seasons. I want long term winning seasons. With AFC so freaking tough, it will be an uphill climb in the next two years.

mrodriguez4096 likes this.
  17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. You want to trade the farm for Lamar Jackson and then not let him run? I think we should also trade 4 1st rounders for Justin Jefferson and then make him C.

NOVAJET likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't want Lamar Jackson at all if he's going to run like he does on the Ravens. Period.

He is going to get hurt and likely retire early because that happens to almost everybody who uses that playstyle. It's the hit you don't see coming that does you.

However I do think he's a talented QB and a pretty good passer and I wouldn't have qualms about giving him $200M guaranteed and giving up 2 1st's if I thought there was any chance he would survive the next few years of play. As it stands odds are low he finishes a contract like that and given his track record the danger years start next season.

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Douglas could go with this plan, but let Rodgers in on the ploy. Rodgers seems to like intrigue/drama and if he thinks the Jets have given up on him by bringing in Jackson/whomever he just may say fuck it and walk away.

20. mezzavo

My guess is, if the Jets decided to bring in Jackson there would be no more talk to Rodgers. They aren't going to toss $200 million and 2 #1's at Jackson then absorb a $60 million Rodgers contract?? It's the "whomever" in your post that's intriguing. I was thinking Brissett but noticed he's now signed. Actually, is there "anyone" left TO sign?

The Jets are quickly getting to a spot where it will 100% absolutely BE Rodgers, Jackson or what we already have on the roster. There's not a whole lot left.

#140 mezzavo, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    HomeoftheJets likes this.