What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My Contrarian Opinion>>>All you guys need a reality check

This guy is ARRON ROGERS future HOF QB ..was Tom Brady over the hill when he led Tampa Bay to a SB?? All the naysayers thought so then !! Fast forward to today This could happen here! Today! This coming Season!! The Man equals a 1st Round Pick ..high low or in between imo

We are getting Rogers all the WR weapons he needs ..maybe even Odell B..With a decent Defense this Team can blast to the Top and challenge the Best or a SB

I am the darkest darksider ......waiting for 55 years for a Championship . Let's win NOW. TBH I would rather be a team with less future picks holding the Lombardi than filled with the UNCERTAINTY of future draft capital

BUT here is a ray of hope.

My goodness STOP being cheap and stupid

Give the Packers a First Round pick this year or next year ..and that conditional 2nd or 3rd ..Carpe Diem JD

DO THE RIGHT THING AND BE FAIR

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is a hard truth we have to admit.

If we are going all in for a SB push we can't have Zach as our backup QB. That would be like committing season suicide. It would be epically terrible foresight with everything on the line.

We could make Zach 3rd string. But that begs the question, "why are we paying our 3rd string QB 21 million over the next two seasons?" That in itself is stupid. Is this all to hope one of the worst starters we've had since Rick Mirer might put it together? And spend another 21 million for the opportunity to find out?

Hard truth, if we sign Rodgers - we need to dump Wilson. Trade him for whatever, or add him to the GB deal as sweetener.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

might as well keep Wilson because if we trade for Rodgers we won’t have any picks or money left to pick up anyone else

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dumping Zach saves us 21 million against the cap - 10 million this season. That's the point.

JD needs to bite the bullet because we've got an expensive 3rd string carbuncle.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You have to find another team that wants to take on that $21M though

BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He's not in his prime anymore and he is 39.

He's not a long term commitment, which Is what a 1st round pick Is worth. It's essentially a 5 year commitment. We won't get that with, Rodgers.

It's not about being cheap. It's about being smart.

There Is absolutely no guarantee we even make the playoffs, let alone the SB.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You still have not supported your claim that a trade announcement had to wait beyond the fifteenth.

9. IIMeanDeanII

It's tough because JD kind of made his bed at this point. As a fan, I only care about this team being good, relevant, a winning franchise. All I care about.

I'm not looking for a temporary run, I'm not look for desperate bullshit. I want this team to be good, for a significant amount of time.

Whiffing on Zach Wilson Is a big set back. Putting all your eggs In the basket for Aaron Rodgers wasn't the smartest thing he could've done either. Now, the options are slim.

That's not my problem as a fan though. That's his.

As far as the options from a fan perspective.

I'd look Into Lamar Jackson (I would hate this), I would look into Brock Purdy's availability.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm looking to the draft, what's the possibilities there? For me, It doesn't look great outside of the top two. At least from an immediate impact perspective. However, definitively some talented guys In this draft with a lot of developmental potential.

Then you get Into your next tier guys.. Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, etc...

Ultimately, all this fucking sucks for me. I wish they never drafted Zach Wilson but they did.. So now, here we are.

Giving up a bunch of compensation because of desperation as a result of already made bad choices, Isn't the answer. IMO

The options aren't great but they are options none the less. Two wrongs don't make a right either..

JD hasn't been fleeced In one single trade that I can recall, so I have faith that the man will stay true to his methods and we won't have to worry about It.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's fair; if you're looking to do what's best for the team, it may be the right idea to walk away from the Packers. But surely Douglas knows that if this trade falls through, the odds are that we'll have another losing season, and he'll get fired. So from his perspective, I don't think he can let the trade fall through. Which is why I think the final price will end up being something of equal value to the first even if it's not actually the first. And I know in the past Douglas hasn't been fleeced on trades, but his job wasn't on the line in the past; now it is.

11. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

On the other hand, should JD totally buckle and give the Packers the 2023 and 2024 number ones plus other assets (such as Moore), and relieves the Packers of AR's bloated contract, what happens if things play out terribly?

Example 1: JD is unable to provide sufficient quality starters and depth to the offensive line and AR sustains a season-ending injury, perhaps even in a preseason game (AR is older and more brittle than he was and is slower and more easily hurt; see last year);

Example 2: AR's performance is similar to last year's mediocre showing. After being exposed to the critical NY media and fans, AR decides that the crap he is being subjected to is not worth it, and he decides to retire sometime during or right after the season;

Example 3: AR plays pretty well but the Jets sustain similar injuries to last year and finish 9-8, failing to make the playoffs and convincing AR to retire for good.

These examples include actual situations that happened during Favre's year as a Jet, so they're not that far-fetched.

In each example, the danger is clear: we could have a better but even perhaps a non-playoff year with AR at quarterback, all for what could be a one-year rental that undermines our rebuilding process for several years, depending upon how much quality personnel we have to give up.

In the worst case scenarios, we give up the right to draft several good players and we mess up our cap situation by taking on AR's bloated contract, and all for a relatively mediocre one-year rental. Wouldn't JD's job be on the line then?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes, if any of those things happen, Douglas will probably get fired. But if he doesn't get Rodgers, he's almost certainly going to get fired, so at least getting Rodgers gives him a realistic chance of keeping his job.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

This point does scare me the most and it's a very good point. I agree with you.

Desperation can make even the best of intentions ugly.

JD and Saleh both have a lot of pressure this upcoming season and I have said this before, but, that does scare me about this situation.

Woody seemingly pushing all of this with JD and Saleh both on a "non" playoff mandate that we all know Is In fact. A playoff mandate to keep their jobs.

Could make for desperate choices. Yeah, definitely a possibility.

I still don't agree with It as a fan though. My opinion of course.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Fair compensation?

2024 4th, with escalation clause. a la Favre.

GB is literally getting a draft pick out of nowhere. And Rodgers is at best 2 to 3 year rental. 1st round pick is way too much.

IIMeanDeanII and papapump like this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The Favre trade is the only fair template off of which both teams should be working. The problem the Jets have is that they don't have a realistic backup plan that they can threaten the Packers with like they did back in 2008 when they could have told Green Bay that they'd just stick with Pennington rather than meet some ridiculous demands. Now, the Packers know that we can't risk having to put Zach Wilson back out there as the starting QB to open the season, especially after the fanbase now knows that Rodgers "intends" to come quarterback their team, so they can just sit back and wait for Joe Douglas to fold because, when faced with that as the alternative, he'll eventually have to cave to whatever the Packers want for Rodgers.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Dean ..I usually like your Posts and you are mostly right here..no guarantees

But the flip side of that is what all the pundits on ESPN and most Sports Talk are saying that the JETS are a force to be reckoned with AR good for at least 1 year

That's pretty powerful statement....Rogers is right behind Tom Brady as one of the GOATs ..no?

If I am not mistaken Tampa had to give up a 1st for "over the hill Tom Brady" ...and then he proceeded to lead them to a SB (without a Bill B)

So this is about being smart if we package the right deal ..and I know you want to give less. But I say he's worth a first if say Tampa did that for TB

You know that saying>>>"penny wise and pound foolish"

EDIT: Just looked this up about Brady to Bucs:
    "He was an unrestricted free agent after the season. He was not under contract. They (New England) couldn’t trade him."

Hmmm..so if they COULD trade him dont you think Bellichek would have DEMANDED a first round pick for 42 year GOAT QB..yep!!

#116 NYJetsO12, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  17. BrowningNagle

Green Bay will likely laugh at the Favre offer. A lot has changed in 10 years and the circumstances are different anyway

Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

That's the thing. I don't believe they would've got a 1st for Brady either. Especially at his age at the time. It's unheard of for someone like Brady to play as long as he did at QB. He's the exception to the rule. Not the rule.

Now, I think Rodgers has the same mental makeup that makes both of them rare and obviously special at the position. So, I think he can do the same as Brady In his later years.

However.

It's not about If I do or don't want Rodgers at this point. I do.

I think most of us do at this point.

I don't believe it has to be one or the other though. Get what I mean?

I think we hold the cards here. I think we are calling their bluff and they will fold. We will give up fair compensation and still have our first rounders to spare. Plus, we get Rodgers on top of It all.

Again.

We are not paying for what he's done. We are paying for what he possibly can do at this stage In his career. That's a big difference when It comes to compensation.

At 39 though.

It's irresponsible to give up a first at all. Unless there are heavy conditions behind It.

Like reaching the Superbowl for example.

papapump and Borat like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Watch it play out like this

“Green Bay wants a 1st round pick”
    Jets fans “that’s laughable!!! 4th rounder maybe”

Week passes (a pat mcafee appearance)

“Green Bay wants a 1st round pick and a player”
    Jets fans “get lost. 3rd round, maybe a player but that’s crazy”

Week passes, another pat mcafee appearance

“Green Bay wants a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick and a player”
    Jets fans “bullshit! A player and 2nd only maybe!”

week passes, more mcafee

“Green Bay was holding strong on their demands but Jets got them to compromise for a 1st round pick only”

Jets fans “hahaha suck on that Green Bay, we got Rodgers for only 1 1st round pick. What a STEAL. Douglas is a genius!”

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I just don't like how he said he was 90% retired when he entered the cave. Some guys stay checked out.