What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

And agreed . But this and maybe next year is the year to do it. Pretty much it.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I assume that the drawback with so many conditions on those picks is that it handcuffs you. Joe wouldn't be able to trade a pick from the first 4 rounds of the next two drafts unless he already had extras. That's not a good position to be in.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its a weird version of a Mexican standoff between the JD, Gutekunst, and Rodgers.

While JD and Gutekunst try to hammer out a deal, a Rodgers vs Gutekunst war is raging in the background. Rodgers has repeatedly attacked Gutekunst for years, even going so far as to suggest he'd retire if Gutekunst wasn't fired for drafting Love. Or according to Rodgers, for not telling him about it first.

Rodgers has been trolling him for 3 years, making every offseason a nightmare for him. Especially last offseason when the retiring talk hit its peak and Gutekunst relented giving Rodgers the contract he wanted. After Rodgers dicked with GB (really Gutekurst) again this off season it became war. When you try and get your GM fired, and they still give you what you want, and you still shit on them - they remember it. The Packers, especially Gutekurst, have every reason to want Rodgers to get screwed, and it started by saying we want to move on from him when they KNEW Rodgers wanted to come back rather then be traded to the Jets. Were only getting Rodgers because he burned his bridges in GB, and he is being paid back for his past behavior, and this Rodgers feud is likely causing the Packers to dig in.

So what do we got so far:

-This QB wants to play for the Packers.
    -The Packers don't want this QB.
    -The Jets want this QB, but he doesn't really want the Jets.

One item that keeps getting overlooked is 2023 expectations. The Packers are in rebuild mode and probably fine with another 7-`10 season, or worse for a higher pick. The Jets have already started going all in, tailoring their roster for Rodgers, and have a mandate to go deep into the playoffs. Have no doubt, we need this trade more than they do. The Packers have no big mandates on next year, other than paying Rodgers back for his off field antics.

IMO this is what will happen. Rodgers will be here for 1 year and will use us like an old wash rag. His ultimate goal will be to return to the NFC North and seek revenge in 2024. Even taking a large paycut to do it. It really is Farve 2.0.

Cman68, flagator07 and Br4d like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As I recall we did beat Buffalo once last year.

But yes ..you are right . Winning a Championship is never easy! The competition stiffens every round you advance in the Playoffs

All I can say is we did it with once with Mark Sanchez and a defensive Coach Rex

So why not? But why do I feel Cincinatti and Buffalo are in our wheelhouse (with Rogers) to beat ..just a thought

The real team to beat is KC Chiefs as that Andy Reid Pat Mahomes combo is dynasty like..hope we get Rogers on board for 2 seasons and 2 shots at this

I am surprised no one mentions are semi competent coaching staff as an impediment as well lol

Hackett is the best Coach on the staff at the moment imo

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Throw the Packers a 2023 3rd and WR Corey Davis and tell them to take a hike. If they refuse to accept it, wait until the draft and squeeze them even more. One would think the '24 Jets picks would be lower than the '23 picks, which would put even more pressure on the Pack to settle for the '23 pick. The '24 pick can be a conditional 3rd if AR plays a second season. If they don't like it, wish them best of luck in finding another donor to pick up Rodgers' monstrous tab.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. MillerTime#22

MillerTime#22 Active Member

Give them this years 2nd round pick and a conditional 2025 pick if Aaron Rodgers is on 2024 Week 1 roster for us. I think this is more than fair to get it done now.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They do have 2 QB's that can throw a football and hit their intended target.. We don't..

#87 Cman68, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Going on the Packers forum, they think they can get more value than our 2023 first. TGG thinks that's too much. So 2023 first it is.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

As forums and Google is how I perform about 97 percent of my job, this is surprising accurate most likely

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If he plays two years, I'm fine giving a first. We need that commitment first though. For one year, it's risky.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Better not be. No way they should get that much compensation. I'd be pissed.

12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

13. HomeoftheJets

We presumably care more about winning this year and next they do, so maybe we keep our first this year, and then give them 2024 picks that end up making up for the fact that we're keeping this year's first. But in terms of total value, we're going to have to give up something like this year's first. It would be different if we had other options at QB, but we don't, and GB knows this, so they're going to try to get as much as they can out of us, just like we're trying to give them as little as we can.

14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'd say a #3 this season, Corey Davis, & a #3 next season, that could elevate to a #2, if AR plays in '24.
    Basically, 2 #3s, & some cap space, for a 1-year rental.

15. IIMeanDeanII

Why?

Still doesn't make sense.

We definitely should give up something but we aren't getting a solution at QB here. We are getting a rental. A 39 year old future HOF who openly admitted to being 90% retired just two weeks ago. Who played for a team that has openly eluded to not wanting Rodgers back, wanting to move on, and having ZERO other teams outside of the NYJ who are actually willing to give them compensation.

This narrative that he deserves significant compensation Is nonsense. We are not paying for what he's done, we are paying for what he can "possibly" do for us and for how long.

This Is a band-aid trade. The blueprint was already laid out many years ago when the NYJ traded for another future HOF QB on his way out as well.

We would be fools to give significant compensation on a potential one year rental. Which Is a very real possibility.

Just like It was with, Favre.

No way In fuck should they even sniff a 1st. Only way It would make sense, if it was based on reasonable conditions. Only way It makes sense.

To just give them a ton of compensation though, for free, that's stupidity.

Give them a fair offer. Maybe make It a tad better than the Favre trade. That should be the outlier though.

This 1st talk Is crazy talk to me though. No way.

KY Jets Fan and joelip like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

If we do what you're saying, we have to be prepared for the Packers not to trade us Rodgers. Which means we either give up two firsts and a ton of guaranteed money for Lamar Jackson, trade up for Anthony Richardson, or go into 2022 with a backup-caliber QB as our starter, whether that's Zach or one of the undesirable free agent QBs still available.

Ultimately, if you want to play hardball in negotiations, you have to be prepared to walk away from them. So what's your non-Rodgers plan?

17. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

You kind of feel like the delay is over a 1st round pick and I think the Jets would be nuts to do that!
    What’s fair is obviously subjective.I think our 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year that can get bumped up under certain scenarios. I mean he going to be 40. Not exactly a long term solution. Especially given his personality.

18. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah.

Then they would have to be prepared for the backlash of the trade not happening. Being stuck with a QB they no longer want. More importantly, that Rodgers no longer wants.

They gain no leverage there either with that scenario because their situation is debatably even worse than ours.

Yeah, we might not get the temporary solution at QB, but we will still have options. Without giving up significant future assets that this team absolutely needs.

Call their bluff. That's business.

They don't have any leverage.

I wasn't prepared for the last 13 years of shitty football, but It happened.

Another year or two of sucking doesn't scare me at this point.

They just need to get It right.

Giving up considerable future assets for a temporary fix, isn't going to help us establish a winning culture or team. Year In and Year out.

I'm not bending the knee to the Packers at this juncture If I'm JD. I'm just not.

They know, we know, they should be happy to even get compensation at this point. Make it reasonable. I'm all for that. Don't be greedy though.

Keep him If they think that.

They won't.

JD will be an absolute fool If they give up a first for Rodgers.

joelip likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

You didn't answer my question. What should we do if we can't get Rodgers? And do you think Douglas will keep his job if he does that?

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Nothing. Don't bother.