Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Given where the Jets have been for the last 50 years you can make a strong argument that the most fun you can have as a Jets fan is watching them repeatedly slip on a banana peel.

At least when that is what you are watching for their normal MO fits right in.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Best summation of Leverage-Gate that I've seen so far.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

There's still some "names" out there. Wentz, Ryan, Bridgewater, Rush. Jimmy G isn't officially official yet. I'm not sure which are willing to settle for a backup role at this point.

6. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I may not be near enough to it but I can't remember a prospective trade which has been played out so publicly before terms are agreed. If the two parties are 'miles apart' in their valuations then it may well not get resolved. I don't blame Joe for not paying a first, let alone a further conditional first and if that is what Green Bay want, they're not getting it. I would have thought that wildly different valuations would mean the deal wouldn't get off the ground at all, but yet here we are, being told that it is still in play. It must be nearer than is being reported by some outlets.

#1066 UK_Chilts, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  7. Br4d

Right now there is only one bidder for Rodgers. That gives the Jets an advantage because if they don't like the Packers offer they can just sit back and wait it out.

April 28th is when the advantage shifts further in their favor because we'll be at day two of the draft and if Green Bay wants any significant value this year they'll have to make an acceptable offer that day. If not we're looking at a 4th round pick maximum in 2023 and conditional picks in 2024 or 2025.

June 1st the advantage shifts a bit more to the Jets because Rodgers 2023 cap number if he is traded is cut in half for the Packers and it is easier to let Rodgers go and make all the ends fit for 2023. If I'm the Jets I probably am looking at June 1st as the sweet spot to actually consummate a reasonable deal. The Packers get maximum cap savings possible for 2023 and probably are looking to finish the affair before the noise gets out of control in their fan base. There are a lot of fans in Green Bay who would like to see Rodgers back next season and the closer we get to camp the harder it will be for the Packers to trade him smoothly without taking a PR hit.

If the deal isn't done by June 2nd it becomes harder to see it getting done at all. That would be the situation where the Packers can't see trading their QB for a reasonable return and the Jets can't see trading a lot of value because the Packers put themselves in this situation with a goddawful contract last season.

twown and JetBlue like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't like seeing them fail, but if there is a team that can fail with style, is the Jets. They have turned it into art. Gase was a true and enduring masterpiece of failure.

Acad23 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. Br4d

My enduring memory of him is not the crazy eyes at the intro press conference it's the bemused look on the sidelines during the 2020 season with his head buried in the play sheet while the offense floundered all over the field.

I don't think I've ever seen less effective leadership than he offered that season, even in the Kotite years.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

List is growing shorter by the day

Just saw that Cooper Rush is back with Dallas and Minshew signed with Indy

I think Jimmy G will get down at LV

Wentz is not an option at all I don’t think…at this point he’s a backup and borderline #3 guy for whatever reason

Matt Ryan looked like crap last year he looks cooked so I don’t see him as an option

Bridgewater is the only guy left who’s had starts and can be decent, but he isn’t the answer to any question other than “who is your backup QB?”

So we are plumb out of any real options here….if Rodgers doesn’t end up happening, then we’re looking at having to trade for someone like Matt Stafford or Ryan Tannehill (who the Titans still say they’re not trading), or drafting a rookie and going that route (which I don’t think is a real option for us)

I still think this will get done, and I don’t think JD will have to give up the 13 overall pick…I agree the Farve trade is a good barometer…he was no less a Packers legend when he was traded than AR is now. Very comparable…

GB is being unreasonable here, but I totally get them wanting to max out their return…

In the end, I’d say we may need to give our 2nd rounder this year and conditional next year if he plays, or if we get to the Super Bowl, or whatever conditions they line up on, but if GB thinks they should get the first rounder for a 39 year old QB who while great, routinely contemplates retirement each year, they’re nuts

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is he dead yet?

12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I dunno. My understanding it only gives the GB $15M cap if they wait until June. So they could wait and Rodgers won’t technically be in the Jets camp until then. He could “train” with GW, Lazard and Moore at a neutral field if he wanted to.

13. Br4d

This would be absolute top end value for Rodgers that makes sense.

No idea if Woody will get desperate and force Douglas to accede to Green Bay's demands but that would just be adding to a really bad legacy as Jet's owner.

The thing to remember in all of this is that there is only one certainty here: Aaron Rodgers is going to get paid $110M in new money over the next two years and over that span will be the highest compensated QB in the NFL. He's 39 this year and 40 next year and there is no way of knowing if he falls off the performance cliff in either of those years either due to injury or the natural step-down process.

Nobody thought Peyton Manning was suddenly going to age out in 2015 at 39 but he did, two seasons after an MVP season. MVP in 2013, went to the Pro Bowl in 2014 and he was done after 2015.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I am completely on board with a second rounder this year and a conditional that escalates depending on performance if he stays another year. In fact, I was of the understanding that that was our current offer, and that GW wanted the first pick. If this drags till close to the draft, I would spend back up dollars on Teddy or Wentz and let this drag out as long as GB wants. AR aint going back there except as a big ass disruption and they are in a pickle.

15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Ugh, yeah. For me it was a clip of Darnold coming to the sidelines, looking completely demoralized and baffled, I think it must have been the Seeing Ghosts game, and Gase giving him what I guess he thought was a pep talk, like, "c'mon man, you know what to do, right? You got this. You know what to do" and Darnold is staring back at him like "No, I... I don't. I don't know what to do, please help me" and Gase gives him a slap on the ass and smiles like "atta boy go get 'em"

Not Sure likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not too many people thought Brady was the answer at 40+ for TB yet he gave them the trophy, and still played top ball last year...so there that side. Drew Breese played at a high level to his last day, Joe Montana as well for KC. Tough to call. We don't need so much a carry the team on your back answer as someone people have to actually plan against.

17. Br4d

Brady is not a comparison for anybody but Nolan Ryan due to his ability to keep playing at a high level at a very advanced age for an athlete.

Joe Montana was seriously injured and missed most of two seasons two years before his retirement. The partial and full season after that were good but not great.

Drew Brees chose to retire after playing 23 out of 32 possible games over 2019 and 2020. His body was wearing down and he chose to hang up his cleats as opposed to taking the chance on really doing some damage to himself.

Note that both of the examples you used other than Brady had real physical issues to deal with near the end of their careers. Aaron Rodgers played with a broken thumb most of last season. It is not unreasonable to think something will set him back this season, particularly in a new environment with teammates not as familiar with him as the guys in Green Bay were.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Fair. My point is many played at a high level to the end after a long career. AR history is a damned good one regarding minimal injuries, although you never know. But he is closer to the Brady example you gave from an injury free career.. Unforeseen injuries are issues that impacts not just a vet but all QBs. Even with a broken thumb, something that is nor age driven, AR hanged in and played pretty dammed well in my opinion amidst a mediocre team.

#1078 LAJet, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  19. Br4d

And this is exactly why giving up a 1st round pick+ and $110M is extremely iffy.

If something goes wrong next season the Jets may want Rodgers to retire to get them off the hook for the last $50M, like the Packers this year they will have no good options to accomplish that.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True, that is also exactly why the deal is not done yet. JD has well accounterd for that possibility in his offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.