What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

How do the Packers have any leverage at all?

IIMeanDeanII and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They don't but neither do we.

3. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I don't know where Aaron Rodgers stands on this but I think he wants to be traded for a 1st rounder. He feels he is worth that value. I thought he might have alluded to this during PMS announcement by saying he wasn't surprised it was taking long and that he considers himself to be debatably the best Packer of all time. I will add that it is possible he only intends to play 1 year in his mind, and therefore, does not care about trade compensation if it involves future picks.

The Jets do have leverage. I am baffled by anyone that thinks they don't. Mark Murphy publicly destroyed the Packers leverage by saying they don't want him back. Aaron Rodgers destroyed any leverage of a bidding war by saying he wants to play for the Jets. The Jets have leverage, but the Packers don't have urgency. It's an important distinction.

The Packers can wait on this and hope the Jets bite an overvalued deal earlier. It's shitty to do and petty but they can do it. They better be careful though, because it's also in their best interest to trade him soon. Aaron is polarizing and they must know it's not out of the realm of possibility he changes his mind and decides to retire. Both sides don't want that. It's in the best interest of both sides to get this done....at least you'd hope they would recognize this. Come the draft the Packers will likely want compensation for this year and be forced to move him. All the Jets have to do is not bite and outwait the packers.

The Jets' leverage will become more apparent as thing drags on closer to the start of the season. And that assumes Aaron doesn't get pissed off, it gets ugly, and he threatens to retire if the Packers don't accept the compensation offered because he feels held hostage. I just see way more scenarios this ends up bad for the Packers.

stinkyB, abyzmul and egelband like this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Lamar is still out there. I'm not saying he should be a target, but if this Rodgers situation goes to hell, and Joe D gets tired of negotiating with the Packers. With the team we have currently. Why not?

KingRoach likes this.
  5. mrodriguez4096

mrodriguez4096 New Member

I doubt this very much.

Whether they're being dicks or not, the Packers own his rights and know the Jets wants AR. They can just sit on it and wait, either be retires and they get nothing or they play poker and make the jets flinch first.

The more time passes the worse it is for the Jets in my opinion.

Mr. Papagiorgio likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, for one thing the Packers have 2 QB's and the Jets have none..

MDJets, Mr. Papagiorgio and stinkyB like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh?? So Mangini got us to an AFC Championship? So get him on board now ! lol Listen my friend dont even attempt to compare JD to Parcells who won Super Bowls and ran a great organization ..lol not in the conversation please

People on this Board are flabbergasted I compare the Ws and Ls in judging a GM. JD's measuring stick is how the Team is doing. So where is the evidence CC "he has improved every year" He hired a do nothing rah rah HC Robert S and then the HC gave in to family nepotism by hiring another inexperienced failure at OC (LaFleur)

Douglas had one great Draft ..yes I give him that. And he made some good trades over last 4 years

But gun to your head who would like at GM for example ??? Howie Rosen (Phil Eagles) or Big Joe?

Here's another radical thought: Woody could have gotten Shawn Peyton in here by dumping JD and Saleh. Most free agents and Aaron Rogers would come here in a second. Woody says to Peyton "isn't getting N Hackett a good idea to entice Rogers" ..and that could have happened too

8. NYJetsO12

That's right..Cman 100%

I just heard on ESPN2 we have odds to win SB on par with Phil Eagles IF WE GET ROGERS

At this point ..waiting 55 years ..I say make this a "bad" Jets negotiation and give up a bit more . We get the short end of stick but FINALLY get SB?? Lets do it >>>"when ya aint got nothin you got nothin to lose'

So I agree ..no QB on board forces us to blink imo. Dont wait ..I know its unpopular but give them our 13th 2023 draft pick sorry ..plus 2nd rounder if AR stays a second year

I say lets not drag this out to June: This is our year guys ..and it ONLY happens thru taking big gambles

9. NYJetsO12

Yes and No Ruby..because it ends up BAD for BOTH Jets and Packers

Rogers and his fickle nature is a time bomb..if he gets pissed off and retires WE ALL LOSE

I say the NY Jets just give a bit more because more variables ..bad ones ..come into play as this drags on

Think about it..whats the worst that can happen??? ..being wealthy (draft pick heavy) and the NFL doormat or a bit poorer and the NFL Champions of 2024??????

Draft picks are unknowns>>>Rogers a HOFamer

10. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I disagree. If no deal happens before the draft, we selected our players and those picks are off the table.

At this point retirement is not an option. GB wants it to be, but it's not. Rodgers will force their hand. Report to camp. Make things awkward. Force them to waive him or pick up his option which they definitely don't want to do.

mrodriguez4096 likes this.
  11. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable to me. I hope Jets don't blink and wind up giving a 1st and more. Also, it depends on what the Jets are on the hook for concerning money we need to pay him now and next year, as that could possible have a significance in what the Jets can afford to pay others.

12. Mr. Papagiorgio

One could always try to trade next year's first instead of this year's. If Rodgers leads the Jets to the playoffs, it will be a worse pick. That might be a better compromise than trading the 13th pick for this year's draft as there is risk for both sides, but it leans more favorable towards the Jets than the Packers.

13. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Today is the 1st day the trade could be announced.
    It's very likely we hear it's done by early next week, as per Wingo.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Therein lie our leverage.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Preach on, Brother! Amen!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You really think that they will have a number 2 QB on the bench that makes 30 mil? Not sure

18. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

The Packers do not have cap incentive to make a trade before Jun 1, which is after the 2023 draft. The only way they deal prior is if they want 2023 draft compensation. However, if they are not hung up on 2023 draft compensation a totally fair deal can be made.

GB gets a 2024 4th round draft pick that can be conditionally moved up as follows:

AR played 10+ games - it becomes a 3rd round pick
    AR played 10+ games and Jets make playoffs it becomes a 2nd round pick
    AR played 10+ games and Jets get to SB - it becomes a first round pick.

GB also gets a 2025 4th round pick with the same conditions if AR plays a second season.

This way compensation is totally fair based upon AR's after the fact performance.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

With AR, the Jets odds def jump big time but one problem. You still have KC, Buffalo and Cincy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

And the only way to beat those teams is with Rodgers lol