Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, it's anyone's guess, so mine is that it gets done by next week, possibly sooner. Neither side wants this to drag on, regardless of who has the most leverage on paper. The writing is on the wall - GB doesn't want AR, AR wants to play for the Jets, the Jets want AR to be their QB, and letting it drag on just hurts both team's PR (not that that's worth more than money really, but it is worth something). At some point soon both sides will realize whatever small difference in compensation can be had or given isn't worth the negative PR and aggravation, and they'll agree to compromise. I just really hope JD doesn't give up the #13 as part of that...I could swallow swapping the #13 for GB's #15 to give GB the ability to say "We got a 1st for Rodgers", but that's as far as I would go.

In any case, I expect a resolution soon.

burf, Borat, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between AR telling his bud Wingo that he's done with the Packers and intends to play for the Jets, and Wingo saying the trade deal between the Packers and Jets is done.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  3. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Wingo did a video last night to not believe the reports that the Packers will drag this out and that the trade is 99% agreed upon and will be finalized in the next few days.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im just wondering, haven't seen you mention it before, did Trey Wingo say the deal is 99% done?

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

According to the NY Post the Packers could drag this out until week 1 of the regular season. That is when Rodgers 58.3 bonus kicks in and becomes part of his salary. I am not saying it will go that far but GB can wait it out.

Jets, Packers 'far apart' on Aaron Rodgers trade (nypost.com)

KingRoach and Borat like this.
  6. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Call Jackson! Enough of this soap opera!

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The wild card is Woody, I said that from day 1. I suspect that all the scenarios have been developed and agreed upon by management... including Woody. Woody, for all his faults, has always tried to do the best thing for the team and fans...whether some fans and posters believe it or not. Having said that, I also believe he is an honorable and who would be annoyed/pissed (whatever) BUT would probably let it play out....

Swap the #1s, give them a 3rd next year but only if AR plays or then it becomes a 5th, That is fair IMO. Inform them this is best and final and that as much as we want AR, we are ready to move on. Call there bluff,,, they do not want him or the cap hit, period and that is the key.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I know what the Packers could do, and the NYP is using that to geek up the fans and gain clicks and eyeballs. IMO I don't think it goes much beyond a few days to a week more.

9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Kinda hilarious.
    For weeks, all the incessant speculation about all the BS media info.
    Then yesterday, AR speaks, & people calm down a bit.
    Now, here we go again, incessant speculation.

What we know is GB wants to move on from AR, as stated by (IIRC) their Pres.
    He also said GB will only trade AR, if they get what they're looking for in compensation.
    Yesterday, we heard from AR... he confirmed GB wants to move on, he wants to play in '23, & intends it to be with the Jets.
    We know the Jets are pursuing a trade.
    That's it... that's all we know.

We also know, these are two dumb-ass teams.
    GB for signing AR, last season, to a crazy contract that will kill them if the Jets back away.
    And with a Pres that tells the world they don't want AR anymore.

As for the Jets, they have an owner that tells the world he's willing to pay big, for a vet QB.
    And decide to go all-in on AR, letting other options sign elsewhere, while still negotiating trade specifics.

Now, the speculation... not knowing how close, or far, the parties are from completing a deal...
    To me, at this point, the only party with any real leverage to speed this up is AR.
    If he wants to play for the Jets, all he needs do is say to GB, 'see ya at TC in July... I will honor our contract."
    Then go to an Ashram in India, visit the Dalai Lama, or whatever else may be on his bucket list.

That'll put a little fire under GB's butt, and help GB realize that AR is their problem, & they need the Jets to help ease their pain.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Hope you are right about that. From what I have seen from the media speculation/reports is GB wants more in case Rodgers plays in 2024. We shall see.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

“I haven’t been holding anything up,” Rodgers said. “At this point, it’s been compensation that the Packers are trying to get for me, kind of digging their heels in."

I doubt that they will wait until beginning of the year, because it's way too risky.

Yeah, AR can continue going to Pat's show and keep saying how he is held hostage. How he is longest tenured player in Packer history, gave so much, and Packers are not letting him go. And of course how he is willing to come to the training camp if Packers cannot trade him. The 40 mil dead CAP hit comes from the CAP manipulations from before. If they go into the first week of the season, they have to pay him 58 mil cash, which will also go on their CAP on top of the 40 mil (over multiple years, but total is correct). They will be fucked. The more I think about it, the more it looks to me that Favre trade is fair. JD can sweeten this up a bit with day 2 pick of this year.

But unless it is done within next week or so, I am hoping to see more appearances by AR on Pat's show asking GB to free him and how he will be honoring his contract with them otherwise.

ColoradoContrails, LAJet and burf like this.
  12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Don’t worry we’re 99% done…

Borat likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or Maybe, just maybe, the GB GM gets his ass fired if they drag this shit out long enough at the chagrin of the fans and the ownership for the guy that will go to the HOF a GB packer as back to back QBs, an amazing feat.

14. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

This is an excellent post and perfectly captures the fluid leverage in these negotiations.
    Right now the Packers have most of the leverage, but as we move closer the April draft, the leverage begins to shift toward the Jets.
    Then, as we move closer to Sept 1 (the day that Rodgers is owed 58M in cash), the leverage really starts to shift toward the Jets.
    Just a matter of if the Jets (and their fanbase) have the stomach to wait that long. Rodgers would also miss all OTAs and training camp so that's something to consider.
    But there is no way the Packers don't cave before Sept 1. They are not going to pay Rodgers 58M cash.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard we went from 100 to 99 in 6 days.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

IOW: From no credible sources.

17. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

It's the final stretch of a marathon. Not many people take on this type of challenge because they lack the endurance, stamina and perseverance.

Joe Douglas has all those qualities and he's just a few strides, a few blocks from the finish line.

Soon Rodgers will sign on the dotted line and the New York Jets will be the team that opponents dread.

BradysTornACL, LAJet and Borat like this.
  18. burf

burf Well-Known Member

To me, GB's leverage is imaginary. They lost their leverage, when they signed that terrible contract last year,
    Then when their Pres said that GB wants to move on from AR.
    The Jets, on the other hand, have just been dumb.
    First, with Woody saying he's willing to pay big. Just about as dumb a statement as one could make, heading into any negotiation.
    If the Jets are the only team really pursuing AR, all they had to say is we're interested & willing, but a deal needs to be in place by the beginning of free-agency, or whatever date they thought prudent. AR understood this, & let the teams know he was interested in the Jets a few days b4 the legal-tampering period began.
    Had the Jets done that, where would any GB leverage be?

As I said in a previous post, the only party with any real leverage now is AR.
    All he has to say is, "I'm lookin' forward to my 19th season in GB... see ya in GB in July."
    And if GB wants to renegotiate his contract... "nope, I'm satisfied."
    Checkmate... or either AR or Love sits, which GB doesn't want.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jets had the leverage initially. Green Bay was desperate to get rid of Rodgers and the contract and the Jets were the only team willing to bail them out.

But through their own incompetence over the past week and a half, the Jets and Rodgers both have handed GB a sparkling gold parachute. The Packers now know the Jets have guaranteed Rodgers they will trade for him. Why wouldn't they ask for more? Where's the rush for them?

Day after day Joe Douglas is gonna have to bid against himself now.

---

If you listened closely to that godawful punter show Rodgers said it himself how stupid the Jets were for parking on the street and attracting the paparazzi.

and the longer it drags out the longer the Jets have to seriously pray PRAY no other team decides to dip their toes in this bidding pool.

King Rodgers gave his little declaration to the Jets yesterday ONLY because the Jets are the only team with any interest!!! Think about that...

#1019 BrowningNagle, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum. I think after the draft we open up talks with Lamar and hopefully something gets done with someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.