2023 NFL Free Agency - News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 12, 2023.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

OL and DL depth taking some hits so far. Some decent players lost though certainly not irreplaceable. They need to make some signings soon.

Would like to see Kwon brought back still

Also a FS is pretty much a gaping hole. I know they liked Tony Adams, but doubt he's their answer.

Jets79 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Do we have any proof that the Aaron Rodgers negotiations are holding the Jets back from talking to FA? By all accounts, the Jets have been in on multiple FAs. They signed Lazard and traded for Clark.

Jets tried to sign both Orlando Brown and Fletcher Cox. Cox turned down more money to stay with the Eagles, and Brown chased the guaranteed money with Cincinnati.

I know everyone is frustrated with how long the Rodgers trade is taking, but there is absolutely zero evidence that the Jets are letting it stop them from improving the team.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you do realize people here need shit to bitch about.... did you not see the 100 pages of whining about Rodgers? ;)

bicketybam likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well from a very basic rudimentary standpoint you can’t offer players money you don’t have so unless the Jets have figured out a way to mimic the salary cap situation so it’s the exact same between us having and not having Rodgers, then there is most definitely a problem.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Potential LB option to keep an eye on.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but they presumably offered big money to Orlando Brown Jr and decent money to Fletcher Cox, all well fully expecting a Rodgers trade.

Don't get me wrong, you may be correct. I'm not in the room, so obviously I have no clue. I just haven't seen anything to make me believe its the case. I think what we're seeing is JDs preferred FA approach. No big splashes early, and wait a few days.

The only issue I can see is players not wanting to commit to a team with the QB position in flux. Hopefully with Rodgers interview yesterday, FAs aren't worried about that.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD so far this offseason:

Arrivals WR Allen Lazard S Clark
    Departures DT Sheldon Rankins QB Mike White DT Nathan Shepherd RB James Robinson WR Jeff Smith WR Berrios G Nate Herbig

Missed out on some key players we went after as well such as Orlando Brown and a C from SF.

Not a great start, and a lot of work ahead if we want to improve the roster even (or especially) with Arod coming in.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

This is where I’m kind of at right now even if you include Aaron Rodgers as part of the incoming group. We are losing a lot of depth pieces and guys that could step in to be starters. We lost one of our best DL and a DL that was heavy in the rotation. We lost a back up guard that stepped in and was a serviceable starter. I understand the notion that players are going to join us once Aaron Rodgers does but who exactly is available right now at our positions of need? We have no FS and we needed to upgrade the OL, meanwhile we’ve downgraded.

don’t get me wrong… Adding Aaron Rodgers makes us a better team even with all of these losses but one of the draws to going after him is that we already had a really good team in place. So far we’ve lost guys in areas of strength and not added anyone at positions of weakness.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We cant say we are missing out on options if we did go after them. Just because a name pops up doesn't mean is in JDs radar. JD is going after the free agents he wants with his best deal, we got a couple, and a couple chose to either stay pat on take more guaranteed money to go elsewhere. so far no different than in the past. The problem with not having AR on board is that you have to protect worst case, and we are less likely to get someone that wants to play with Rogers if the situation is iffy.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Lol can't believe the Pats gave James Robinson 4mil/yr. He might have been still recovering last year, but other than some nice runs against the Bills, he did not look good at all

Now that a few days have past, maybe they can get some better deals. McGovern on a one-year (or two-year with an easy out in 24') would make sense as they hopefully can draft an heir too

11. BroadwayAaron

The problem is to impact players have taken less money to play elsewhere. The Fletcher Cox with I won’t even hold against him because he went back to the team he just played in the Super Bowl with but losing out on that center to San Francisco was seemingly just that player wanting to play for another team for less money. Who knows how actually having Aaron Rodgers on the roster could have affected that. The point is we will never know but like I said in my prior post, based off of pure ground level logistics You can’t operate the same way as you could with Aaron Rodgers actually on the roster as opposed to only there in theory.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No question having AR on the roster would make our free agency much better. And I think those assholes in GB know that and are playing hardball. The question is do you over paying in compensation to protect that? We seem to do better with draft picks than free agency.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We also lost guys on our weakest position aside from QB: OLIne. Herbig was a solid guy, who started all year and wasn't great, but as a back-up he is all right. I like the upgrade Lazard gives over Berrios and Clark is better than Joyner, but Rankings is a massive loss of a good starter. Shepherd is a big depth loss too, and so is Herbig. We got worse this offseason so far, when honestly I thought we would snatch a couple of big FAs by now. Instead we lost more than we gained.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Jets know what Rodgers salary cap number is going to be.

15. BroadwayAaron

The point soared over your head

16. BroadwayAaron

We kind of really don’t have a choice. We are at their disposal. They have no reason to make this trade before day one of the draft. And if they don’t give a shit about missing out on whatever picks they would get from us in this year‘s draft, they have no reason to do it before June 1. I have said I’m here forever that I would be stunned if the Packers didn’t demand at least one first but that doesn’t mean I want to do it. I definitely wouldn’t do it. So that’s the double edged sword: either give up too much draft capital or your free agent situation remains in flux.

#96 BroadwayAaron, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    LAJet likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Lazard is an upgrade to both Davis and Berrios and Clark is definitely better than Joyner but we’ve lost more than we’ve gained. DL went from a place of strength to a place of need. We also didn’t address any of the areas of need we had going into this offseason. Like I said above, adding Aaron Rodgers will make us better than last year no doubt but we aren’t doing what we need to do if we want to actually contend with him.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please lets keep in mind we are still in March, we are far from done. I wish however GB would stop trying to screw the deal with the compensation so we can move on with the rest of the positions. Seems to me what they are doing is far from helping AR after their decision to let him go , but rather screwing him around to maximize their gains. Two sided talk BS by the GM.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wow. Stop picking on me.

20. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

It's March 16th. We are a few days into free agency. Beyond the draft, there are plenty of players available at our positions of need...let JD do his thing. We've gone from a laughingstock in this league to a team that a future first ballot HOF'er wants to join. As he said, there is a lot to like.

BTW, to check in on what's out there, Mike Clay's free agency cheat seat is excellent. I believe he's been updating it daily.

KY Jets Fan likes this.