Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wingo gave us all hope on Monday, and the deal WILL get done, but it's clearly not done, and the teams have known about Rodger's decision for 6 days now. It wasn't 99% done, simply because, it does not take 6 days to get that 1%. I suspect there is a significant sticking point somewhere, and neither club wants to move from their position. I was thinking who has leverage. As someone mentioned, Packers can wait until June 1st to split the CAP hit. On the other hand, I suspect they may prefer all the money to come off this year, meaning they would want to trade before June 1. Why? Because this year they are likely not going to win. In fact, if Love sucks, they may be picking very high in the draft next year. The bottom line is, it may be beneficial for them to clear Rodgers' dead CAP in one year where they are likely not going to be contending, evaluate Love, and get more CAP room next year.

Also, the next meaningful event that is coming is NFL draft. Pack likely wants a pick from us in this draft, whether it is 1st, 2nd, or even 3d. If the draft passes and no deal, they won't get any picks from us until next year. So, they definitely want to get this done before the draft, and Rodgers is already recruiting players for the Jets, so the Jet's don't have that deadline. It's preferred, of course, but GB also prefers to do it soon, and will be losing our draft pick on top of it. JD knows all this. Maybe GB GM is trying to play hard ball, but I doubt JD will fold, knowing that the next deadline is more meaningful for them. Granted the draft is a month away, so this could take some time, but I just think after some time GB GM will have to cave.

Cman68 and PulseJet like this.
  2. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I know people think this and perhaps Aaron will change numbers out of respect, but I have 0 issue if he wears #12 because Namath said he was fine with it well before Rodgers came here. If Namath says he's fine with it, there's no problem here. It would just be a couple of Curmudgeons offended on behalf of Namath's legacy despite the man himself not only not being offended but offering it up.

HomeoftheJets and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m fine with him wearing 12, mostly because I totally hate the idea of retiring numbers….stupid idea to me.

I’m old school on numbers…I like 12 for a QB, 32 for a RB, 88 for a WR, 56 for a LB, etc. I also happen to love the number 13 on a jersey. So the fact that we have those retired sucks to me.

I’d rather have a conversation around “hey, let’s talk about all the great players that wore #12 for us” as opposed to saying “Hey, no one else will ever wear 12”

So to me I would do away with the whole stupid retiring numbers idea

I would also love to see them go back to position rules…I HATE seeing edge players or corners wearing numbers like 5…do not understand the love of single digit jersey numbers at all.

And yeah, I’d love to see the NFL allow 00 again…I think one of the teams suggested it this year…maybe the Eagles but not sure…

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

imo, he's not going to make a stink about needing to wear #12 in NY. He wore #8 at Cal, and plenty of guys of his caliber have changed numbers. Montana, Jordan, Barry Bonds, etc.

#924 twown, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    stinkyB and Ralebird like this.
  5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

sexy numbers = jersey sales

6. mileena

mileena Member

Yeah, the Eagles suggested adding the number "0"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Totally agree... I thought the same.

We'll see how it plays out.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know we sound like a couple of old curmudgeons, but I totally agree with this. It just doesn't look right!

Jets79 and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  9. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

I like to be able to look at a player’s jersey and know what position they play.

#929 AtlantaJet, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    Jets79, stinkyB, ukjetsfan and 5 others like this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

What are the odds...

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No effing way. Wowzer.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Agreed if the Packers prefer to wait until June 1st, fine. That just means the Jets keep all this years draft pics and any draft compensation can be conditional for 2024. Also, with Hackett as OC implementing an offense Rogers is familiar with its not like that missed time with the team will hurt Rogers, at least not much. So i dont think the Packers really have any leverage.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought the price would end up being a first because, no shit it should be. I’d much rather ditch a player or two and lower that cost.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which is why the deal is not done yet. GB wants #13 overall. JD is not giving it.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Shefter is clueless.

Wingo said last night the deal is 99% done. Agreed upon and he said Moore or Davis + the picks the Jets offered.
    Mentioned nothing about Green Bay demanding a 1st.

IIMeanDeanII, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Schefter is an idiot. The only way the Packers get the 13th pick is if they give the 15th pick. Next year’s pick will be conditional.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think Wingo's inside source is someone who is close to Rodgers himself, not the teams. Rodgers gave green light on Friday, and basically that's what Wingo was reporting. I don't think he has anything else from actual teams. The deal is not done - in fact it's 3 days later since he said it was done, 6 days since Arod gave green light and it's still not done. Shefter's report makes sense - not in the sense of what it will ultimately be (at least I hope not), but in what GB is pushing for. Because JD will not agree to giving up #13. That is a plausible explanation why it's been 6 days and deal is not done, it has to be something big like that.

Look at the FA market so far: JD is not doing so great. I like Lazard: he is a solid Davis type of signing (thanks Arod), but we missed out on some big trench players. We were in for Orlando Brown, who signed a very reasonable deal with the Bengals, perhaps even a steal. We wanted SF center, and he took less money to stay in SF. We two lost starters in Rankings and Herbig. We lost a solid back-up in Shepherd. So far our OLine and DLine got weaker. And Oline was shit to begin with. #13 overall is likely to be a solid OT for 5 years to come on rookie deal, and we NEED that pick, particularly given how free agency is going so far. JD will not part with this, and unless GB caves, this will be a while.

Jets79 and JetsCuseYanksFan like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think it's possible. Lazard seems to be a decent upgrade in the run blocking department and in terms of reliability over CD.

Definitely helps that he's got some chemistry with AR though.

19. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

He said the deal is 99% done and was adamant that the media was wrong and that it would be announced in the next few days.
    We have no reason to not believe him over everyone else.

20. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Schefty don’t know diddly shyt and it’s amazing to see him squirm and try to backtrack

KY Jets Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.