What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A 2023 3rd round pick, and a single 2024 pick to be determined based on how the Jets finish the 2023 season. A fourth round pick if the Jets miss the playoffs. It would be a third rounder if they make the playoffs escalating all the way to a first round pick if they win the SB. Something along those lines…..the Jets are doing GB a huge favor by taking on most of his salary I presume. Maybe GB should throw in a low draft pick along with Rodgers…

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

4th and Corey Davis.
    3rd if they eat some salary.

Sinjz, amuck57, Cosmo and 1 other person like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Zero chance a first should be a consideration. Packers have zero leverage.

I'd give them a 3rd round pick. That's more than fair. They have no other options, be grateful GB. Be grateful.

4. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Trey Wingo, who I trust as one of the only solid sources considering he has not been called out by Aaron and was one of the only ones to say it was not Rodgers holding things up, says that this is not the case, they are close on compensation and it's 99% and it won't take long (as it - next week at latest). I think it's going to be settled just fine probably around a 2nd or 3rd round pick with some conditions attached.

I originally thought another player like Baktiari would be packaged in there but we would have heard whispers of it by now. If Trey says its 99% done I wonder if Boomer's report that the bonus clause which makes trading him past the 17th is accurate, but Aaron straight up said its the Packers haggling for compensation and I don't see why an official date would hold up an agreement and unofficial announcement.

twown likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The Packers actually have some leverage. His bonus clause doesnt kick in on the 17th. It can be activated ANYTIME between the 17th and week 1 of the regular season.

So they could sit on the deal and wait until another team loses their QB and becomes desperate. Now, that could backfire as Rodgers would have to agree to go to that team and that team must be able to absurd his salary and so on.

The Jets are still in the driver seat, but GB does have a little bit of leverage on their side.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I would exchange Mike Tannenbaum for JD

Where’s the evidence that we are a winning team?

Tannenbaum got us to an AFC title game with Mark Sanchez lol

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think so. Less about his ability and more about the fact that it’s not really how general managers work - they don’t get tons of chances.

And for what it’s worth, he’s yet to put a roster together with a winning season.

IIMeanDeanII and ConcordeChops like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Send Woody on a World cruise for about a year and let JD do what needs to be done. Otherwise, another Johnson intervention might cost this team cash AND draft picks.

IIMeanDeanII, papapump, Cosmo and 2 others like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

A 2nd/3rd this year, Corey Davis, and a conditional pick that starts as a 3rd/4th next year and increases based off of Rodgers snap %'s/team's performance (similar to Favre deal, AR plays 50% of snaps it bumps up to a 2nd/3rd, AR plays 75% of snaps and/or we make the playoffs it bumps up to a 1st/2nd, etc.).

13 overall should be untouchable in this trade because we can use 13 to recoup some of the assets we lose in this trade. I could easily see us moving back from 13 to the late teens/early 20s in exchange for an additional 2nd and change which would somewhat offset the cost of acquiring AR.

mrjet80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. NYsportsfan1962

I could argue both teams have leverage. GB could keep Rodgers for a while and let the Jets stew without a QB option. Yes they risk having to keep him but they probably know the Jets are committed to getting Rodgers and getting him in the building as soon as possible. I don't think the Jets go to Lamar because that would irritate Rodgers and he might say screw it (nobody wants me) and retire and then Baltimore might match and put Jets in worse hell imaginable.

With that I'd like the Jets to give up a 3rd this year but I think it will be a 2nd. I also think they get back a 6th this year if they give up the 2nd rounder. As for next year as most have mentioned a conditional 4th based on this playing time, team success and Rodgers committing to next year. I wouldn't give up a first though.

This drama on top of Diaz getting hurt in a MEANINGLESS exhibition tournament is killing me.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Compensation needs to based off tenure of future playing time with the JETS.... 1 season nets: X, 2 seasons it escalates to X+?
    If rumor that trade won't be consumated until after june 1, that at least saves their picks this year

*If they won the SuperBowl, fuckit, give em everything :D

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Navigating the leverage (correct me if I'm wrong):

GB's "leverage": The Jets have nowhere else to turn. We can hold onto him him all summer, up until his option bonus is due, giving him no offseason with the new team.

Jets/Rodgers' leverage: GB doesn't want me back. GB does not want to pay me the $58mil option bonus. No team has $60mil in cap space to accommodate a trade for me unless I restructure my deal. I will only restructure for the NYJ.

Seems to me one side has a bit more leverage than the other, assuming they're willing to not have Rodgers around for training camp. There's no way GB brings him back. GB honestly seems a bit petty in this situation.

I think Matt Ryan and Brett Favre are the closest comps given age, leverage, etc. A 3rd or 4th this year, and a highly variable conditional pick(s) next year and/or in 2025.

IIMeanDeanII, Cosmo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Jets negotiate like some on here. Let’s get real with the BS offers this is Aaron Rodgers. The Packers want two first rounders which is ridiculous but don’t insult them with some moronic low ball counter. I think a 2nd rounder this year and a conditional 3rd next year which goes up to a 2nd if he plays a second season is fair.

Jets4eva9011 and Cman68 like this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, considering Rodgers' age, bloated contract, decreasing physical skills, possibility of retiring after one year, etc., the Jets should offer a 2023 third round pick and a conditional 2024 third round pick, with that pick rising to a first if the Jets play in the Super Bowl.

A lot of people are saying the Packers have leverage because they can wait. That may be true about Rodgers' compensation, but because they will be technically on the hook for Rodgers' bloated contract for the next couple of months, their hands will be tied in free agency until the deal gets done. It's in their best interest to get a deal done.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Compensation should involve future picks based on performance.

No way do they get a first rounder in any year unless we win a Supebowl.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Agreed

Cosmo and James Hasty like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The difference ATM is something pretty big. The Jets are poised to go all in this season for a SB push, and the Packers are going into rebuild. This means the Jets need this trade more. Not sure why we think we have GB over a barrel when they have no season mandates like we do. In fact, dragging it out is in their favor contractually. They can also test the early season market when a contender loses their starter and becomes desperate.

As much as I agree with the Farve compensation, this isn't 2008 anymore. Pro bowl QBs are commanding high prices and the only leverage we have is the size of the contract. Until we know how that would be divided up, and how many years its for, its pretty hard to project a real offer.

19. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Only a 3rd round pick, that is pretty much it, Packers wants a first round pick and more which is crazy, I would be okay with that if Aaron is 25 years old but he is not so a 3rd round pick is a fair offer

Leicester Jet, GreenGreek and Cosmo like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think the big hold up is they want 13 and JD doesn't want to part with it or wants 45 back from them (trading 13 and getting 45 back is the equivalent of a late 1st) I think thats more then fair.

I think we include corey davis in a trade and since rodgers only is a 1 to 2 year rental his value is lower then they want. Personally i'd say davis and our 2nd in 2023 and a conditional 3rd in 2024 if he doesn't retire next offseason is more then generous to GB

they get a high pick in this years draft, plus a solid vet WR to help out love and make up for losing lazard and if rodgers plays more then 1 year they get a 3rd round next year as well
    for the jets we get our QB this year , keep our 1st, and only give up the 1 pick and an expendable player if he only plays 1 year