Mekhi Becton's latest shape as of March 10th

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 10, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Was it his weight or the OL that rolled up on his knee that caused the original injury. Honest question.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think both. Becton is knock-kneed — his knees tilt inward, making them more susceptible to injury. Extra weight does not help. I believe the last surgery also included knee alignment. He will have improved chance of staying healthy with that and lower weight.

3. bicketybam

Do you think someone else would have come away uninjured after Fant rolled up on their knee? Honest question because I don't think so.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I know after dropping 40lbs that my knees feel great now! That weight he was carrying just wasn't conducive to good joint health. He was damn near 400lbs at one point? I remember Kris Jenkins and all that weight he carried around. Eventually, wasn't it his back that forced him to retire?

5. bicketybam

Cool story but it doesn't answer my question His knee got rolled up on and unless you are made out of titanium it was going to get fucked up. I know it doesn't fit the Becton narrative but just try to be honest. Whose knee survived that??

Mogriffjr likes this.
  6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Looks great! Great for his health and life outside of football.
    Wonder how it affects his game

bicketybam likes this.
  7. Cman68

His knee required surgery no? The roll caused the damage, but the weight did hinder his recovery. He was simply too damn big and had to lose the weight to get back on the field and hopefully stay there.

8. bicketybam

I believe they said the re-injury was due to them not performing the necessary surgery to begin with.

Look, I know there is a narrative to be upheld. Forget the fact that the guy was never injured in college and now he looks like he weighs 350. I guess we will see. I'm rooting for him as well as the Jets. That might be a crazy idea around here though....

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. Cman68

Those pounds he lost will make a difference as far as his durability. He looks closer to 320 compared to how he used to look.

10. bicketybam

I'm terrible at estimating weight but 320 would be a massive weight loss. He does look in shape and the fucking guy is a physical specimen. He ran an insane 40 at the combine and he was what? 365? If he's 320 that's something.

jackie1013 and Cman68 like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Good for him. I was doubting him a year ago. I hope he has a great season and a great long career with the Jets.

jackie1013 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, good for him, but I'm still doubting him, and will until he puts together a full, healthy, quality season.

Certainly, to get to the level of shape he appears to be in requires a great deal of focus and commitment, and that implies a new found maturity, which if true, bodes well for his future, but winning the "Nutrisystem Trophy" doesn't mean much unless he can translate that into becoming the OL force he was drafted to be.

dmw and Cman68 like this.
  13. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

This right here. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season, but until then...

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I already gave my honest answer. He was at higher risk to get injured. We will never know, but I can certainly see a scenario where someone lighter and with properly aligned knee would avoid serious injury in this case. And definitely wouldn't be out for two years with similar injury.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is basically a contract year for Becton so I expect he'll do every he can to make an impact.

With his injury history, I also don't expect us to offer him a 2nd contract unless he comes cheap.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we get something out of him so much the better however after missing all but 1 game the last two seasons I wouldn't expect anything out of him. It's all on him to prove himself at this point and if things get iffy he's going to get dropped like a hot rock.

KWJetsFan and Jets79 like this.
  17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Can't wait till his pass protection improves and run blocking declines and fans crucify him for being too small.

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, at this point I expect nothing from him. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be very surprised at this point. He's definitely going to have to prove it on the field, during preseason, and fast, or else it buh-bye.

19. Cman68

Honestly, he looks like he may have lost too much weight. He looks more like a DE than an OT now.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Says it took him 2 years to figure out, sounds like he is definitely on the right track..

ColoradoContrails likes this.