Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

You keep posting about how NY sucks. Maybe you should reconsider your loyalties? If you want to skulk off and be a, I don't know, a Buffalo or Pittsburgh fan, by all means, go.

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling A-Rod is just stuck. The packers dont want him. He probably doesn’t want to come here but there isnt another team that needs a QB and is good. The jets are the total opposite of everything hes been apart of for the last 18 years. There is no way he is like “ oh man, if i can just be a Jet bro”

Br4d likes this.
  3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I actually read Murphy differently... I think AR has made his decision to move to the Jets, & it's the Packers who are holding things up.
    Of course, everything is speculation, but I'm sensing that JD is playing hardball as far as compensation, & the Packers haven't gotten the message yet, that if they want to move to Jordan Love, they won't be getting the compensation (ie: draft picks) for AR they think they deserve.
    If JD holds his ground, the Packers will eventually relent, if they truly want the Love era to begin.

4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Not delusional... you are correct, sir!

The Media has gotten the whole thing wrong, & the majority of fans have followed suit.
    Everyone's been led to believe it's AR holding up the process (ie: retire or play), when it's the Packers that have been the culprits.
    They, too, have been mislead by the Media, & believed they'd get their cake (lots of draft compensation for AR), & eat it to (begin the Love era).
    They're having trouble getting the reality that their only out, is to take what they're being offered.
    Otherwise, what's their Plan B?
    Their alternatives aren't pretty.
    Unless another team enters the show, it's up to them to choose their fate, & eventually they'll relent.

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Do you actually live here or are you speculating and projecting? You seem like a Briarcliff Manor kinda guy.

Also, unless he moves to NYC (he should) I do t believe he’s paying city tax.

6. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I think in the end we are going to be left at the altar and WJ and company will be in damage control. They will be selling us MW and or maybe some other journeyman QB. If Rogers was into coming here he would have already.
    The front office and WJ miscalculated or tried for a Hail Mary and it hit the ground. The harsh reality is that the only way we are going to get a good QB in here is finding a back up who has been overlooked or try the draft again. Get someone who wants to play here, not beg and plead to someone who doesn’t.

Pull out now and tell AR and GB to go pound sand. We have to have more pride as an organization than this

7. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

So you predict Rodgers goes back to GB?
    He retires?

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

IMO @Brook! and @burf nailed it. I don't think at this point it's Rodgers stringing this out. I think the Packers are trying to get the most they can out of JD.

If it really is Rodgers, then I think the Jets are in trouble.

#868 Lon Chaney, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  9. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The alternative is he goes back to green bay and restructures his contract. If they do want him back and he wants to play there, that's what will happen. No one knows what the packers really want to do, or what Rogers wants. Everything we read and hear is speculation, reading into quotes, and drawing conclusions.
    I do hope you're right, though. Joe Douglas squeezing the Packers and getting rogers for a 3rd or a 4th round pick would be a hell of a deal.

ColoradoContrails and burf like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rodgers is probably looking at what happened with Favre and thinking he'd like to play anywhere but the NY media fishbowl.

Who in their right mind would sign up for the back page of the NY Post if they had any alternatives available at all?

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yep, this is how I've felt as well.....

burf likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A complete sociopath. I know a guy…

15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

No insult intended and as a former Upstater, but people outside of the NYC metro area look at the Post as a National Enquirer wannabe.
    Why would anyone care what's on their back page?

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d assume this would be happening anyway since we have close to no space and free agency starts j. A few days. But the fact that it was three players and only $15 mil means they were looking for a target number and didn’t want to push a ton of money into the next two years.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

As bad as it would be for the Jets should this trade fall apart, they can always pivot to Lamar Jackson or JG. But for the Packers this would be an unmitigated disaster. It's painfully obvious they want to start Jordan Love. I think Douglas knows this and is looking for the most favorable deal he can get for the Jets. Work your magic, JD!

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think the hold up is the Packers and Jets. Both teams need to have some resolution before free agency because the cap ramifications of having Aaron Rodgers on the roster at that point are real.

If Rodgers is on Green Bay they're going into free agency with $24M in cap space and very little maneuverability outside that because all of their top cap numbers come with terrible dead money if they move on at the moment.

If Rodgers is coming to the Jets immediately then Green Bay has $8M *less* space and they're a bit more cramped for free agency. In that scenario the Jets also probably have to cut one of Carl Lawson or Corey Davis just to be cap compliant for the start of free agency.

A June 1st trade resolves some cap issues for both teams but comes with the "Aaron might back out" possibility and neither team has much of a solution if that happens since free agency will be past.

The problem here is that Green Bay should have moved on from Rodgers last year. The deal they signed with him is a deal with the devil and given what happened last season the devil is winning the bargain right now. Unless another team emerges to help Rodgers and the Packers out the Jets are the only alternative to resolve the Packers problems at the moment.

If the Jets weren't talking themselves into a corner I suspect the Packers price would drop quickly on a future's deal for June 1st. If the Packers let Rodgers go for a conditional 3rd in 2024 and he decided to retire rather than joining the Jets, well that works out for both teams since Rodgers contract comes off the books and the Jets can just hold his rights until he fails to meet the conditions of the trade in which case they don't have to give up the 3rd.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

People inside the NYC metro area look at the Post as a tabloid rag too. But it's still got that good Sports section, otherwise yeah, it makes for good kindling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.