Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just going to reply to two people in one quote so I don't triple post, sorry.

Would even be okay moving back like you mentioned and getting extra picks and grabbing someone like JMS. Becton actually doing something will be such a blessing and bonus for this OL.

Rodgers is one of those athletes where if you doubt him, he just wants to shove it up everyones ass and prove you wrong. Did you ever watch The Last Dance? Rodgers' mentality is very similar to MJ's IMO. Just make shit up to motivate you. Look what happened after they drafted Love, back to back MVPs and blew the entire thing up. So many people are doubting him about his numbers last year, but the guy ended up with 3700 26:12 TD:INT all while having a broken thumb on his throwing hand and a revolving door of rookie WRs. There's absolutely a reason to believe he can return to 80/90% of what we saw in '20 and '21. We don't even need Rodgers to be that top 3 QB, just be top 10. Rodgers elevates this team from the worst QB play to top 10 and you are talking about them competing late into January.

The game now is so much different than 5 years ago. You can't even look at QBs without getting a 15 yard penalty. I truly believe we are going to start seeing QBs play late rand later into their careers.

2. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

Offensive line is huge here. Our line is terrible. Many people are talking regarding the in house line we have now. Major mistake to depend on Becton. He looks thinner but will this translate to staying in the field for a full season? In addition, Brown is old and was hurting last year. Was having difficulty handling the speedy edge rusher. Laken Tomlinson was a train wreck last year and is clearly underperforming his contract. McGovern is a free agent . I believe AVT will be back stronger then ever. RT spot is up in the air. Is Max Mitchell the guy at RT? Can he bounce back from those clots? Who knows. Lots of uncertainty on that line. The Jets first 2 picks should be a tackle and a center. They need a guard to take over for Tomlinson. That line was atrocious last year. The only good thing about Wilson was he was able to move away from the rush otherwise it could have been a lot worse. I guess we will see. However, I guarantee Rodgers is asking Jet Brass who is going to protect him. As he should. If I am Rodgers I want to know what their plans are for the line otherwise I would not accept the trade.

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk man MJ didn't choke in the playoffs routinely like Rodgers has

I'm just saying, I get it, we are all excited here but that doesnt mean we have to ignore the last 10 years where Rodgers has had multiple home playoff games with a better team and underperformed

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

you really think the guy's gonna walk away from all that guaranteed cash?

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  5. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

why do people keep forgetting that while we were 7-4, block and run game was very good! avt and hall getting injured during the same game caused more issues.

6. dawinner127

That wasn't the intention of my comparison at all. I was talking about his mentality of wanting to shove it to people and using BS and media doubters as motivation. That's it.

BrowningNagle and NOVAJET like this.
  7. dawinner127

8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I think Simms is right. GB wants to move on. They want to see what they have in Love, and they want Rodgers off the books. The Jets and Rodgers need to negotiate from the standpoint of we're doing GB a favor by taking Rodgers. Once Rodgers confirms he's willing to play whether in NY or GB, GB has to move his contract. I think compensation comes down to how much money GB is willing to eat rather than what Rodgers is worth.

A '23 3rd, maybe a #13 for #15 swap of firsts and future heavily conditional pick seems like a fair deal.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like the line was atrocious last year because they were constantly hurt.

While you can never count out injuries, I do think they would've been solid if they could've all played together for a full 14-17 games. Instead we had to move AVT all over the place just to fill the holes. Really hoping for some positive regression in terms of OL injuries in 2023 but I also agree that we can't count on that.

After we figure out our QB situation, I fully expect most of the rest of our assets (money and draft picks) to go towards improving the OL.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If they get Rodgers, the first 3 draft picks need to be 2 O-linemen and a LB...

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Hadn't even thought of swapping 13 and 15 this year. Seems like that could be part of the deal and I wouldn't hate it.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. GreenGreek

He's not walking away from that kind of money. There may need to be sort of restructured contract. I believe from a cap perspective, it benefits GB to have the trade execute after June 1, but that's obviously not going to work for the Jets.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Or 2 OL and a S.

Lon Chaney, JetFanInNE and SOJAZ like this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I get it. I appreciate the points made.

Still.

He's not In his prime anymore.

This Isn't The Green Bay Packers either.

I'm more worried about the situation Rodgers Is potentially coming Into at his age, contemplating retirement, etc..

I like Rodgers. I don't even mind his persona outside of football like others do. I don't agree with everything he feels or says but I don't mind either because he's not trying to convince anybody of anything either.

So, to clarify, my issue Isn't so much the man himself. It's the variables outside of him mostly. Along with the age and retirement contemplation, compensation, etc..

The retirement drama.

Which we will be forced to deal with next year as well, which sucks, thinking ahead.

The fact that It Isn't our very own homegrown drafted FQB.

It just doesn't completely sit well for me right now.

dawinner127 and Since1969 like this.
  16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

This, what gets me is the portion of the fans that say with complete finality that the Jets absolutely won't win a SB if we get Aaron while the optimistic/realistic fan is saying that with AR we have the best chance to win in years. When someone states "we aren't going to win with AR" which I have seen on multiple threads it just makes me think they need to go find a new team they will actually be happy with. Every team has a chance every year and AR puts us top 5 in Vegas odds of winning the show so how do we have no chance? The negativity by some on this board is just sad, fuck off and go root for the Chiefs or whatever team you think has a "chance" to win a SB. I'm a Jets fan... FAN which means I hope and believe that we have a chance every year otherwise I would just start watching baseball. Odds are we are getting a first ballot HOF at the most important position and have a top 5 D, anyone not ecstatic can move on.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

It's a short-term solution no doubt. Hopefully 2 years at least. But if I am sitting in my section (101) in January screaming my head off for the Jets in a playoff game then it will sit well for me just fine. They have to improve the OL, but the rest of the roster is pretty good.

IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ultimately every penny we pay Rodgers, will be on our CAP. But restructuring via converting salary into bonus allows to spread this over multiple years, hence lowering the cap in the beginning. Rodgers can end up restructuring this off season and then next off-season to push the can down the road farther, but allowing maximum flexibility while he is here. We will eventually take a big CAP hit when he retires. But we can then restructure others down the road to reduce their hits, and so on. That's how the Saints are able to sign Carr in spite of being in CAP hell.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  19. GreenGreek

I feel a swap like that is giving something GB can promote as a fairly big deal, but it's not that consequential. For subscribers of the Draft Value Chart, The #13 for #15 difference is 100 points, which when added to our 3rd, is the equivalent of a very late 2nd.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Rogers also said on McCafee that he knows he would have to restructure his contract if he went to a new team. I can drum up the link if need be but it was well documented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.