Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's just take a moment and reflect on how we got here:

2018 - Maccagnan trades 3 high 2nd round picks (high 2nd round picks) to move up from 6 to 3 with no idea which QB will be there. Then when the guy he wanted (Baker Mayfield) is not there he takes Sam Darnold. Darnold memorably described as a cow on ice skates in one of the scouting reports based on his mechanical flaws. Darnold says he has no plan to change his mechanics for the NFL, kind of the anti-Josh Allen take on being a pro.

2021 - The Jets go all-in on Zach Wilson on the #2, a pick that had *insane* value in that addled QB-Fever draft based on the trade-up to 3. The reason they are all in on him is a strong arm and the ability to make off-platform throws. Obviously if you've just lived through 3 years of a cow on ice skates the ability to make off-platform throws seems to be a critical skill. Of course they forget to check if he can make the on-platform throws, which he can't do reliably.

2023 - The Jets having made two of the really bad QB decisions of the prior five seasons decide to go for strike three by acquiring a proven veteran QB before they fix basic things like the offensive line. Acquiring the proven vet QB is not a bad idea but going all-in on him before you fix the fundamentals is just so strange. The vision of the 2023 season that keeps coming to mind for me resembles the Little Rascals on their 'fire engine' rolling downhill at a high rate of speed with multiple people steering front and back and regrettably no brakeman.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its like a TMZ affair lol

3. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

im pretty sure everyone is pro accurate science. Like unanimous. Its the other science they have a problem with.. like “!conspiracy theories “ that turn out to be better than their science

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thats the thing. The dropoff from Rogers is so stark and they've let it be known publicly they covet him that they have no other moves but to wait on him. They are over a barrel.

Laughable they would give him a deadline. 1 week? Then what? Sign Garropollo?

The Jets need to wait as long as Rodgers wants.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

100%. Missed twice with top 3 picks in the draft. That will paralyze any franchise. Bad scouting? Bad luck? Can't blame the logic, but the outcome was terrible and crippling.

However, you are almost insinuating that they can't fix the OL at the same time as pursuing AR. I'm sure there's a plan in place. Right now it's Brown, Tomlinson, C, AVT, Bechton/Mitchell. The left side looks set - although I think it's a possibility they go LT with #13. Obviously need a center and RT needs an upgrade. Drafting 2 OL and bringing in a vet is a reeeaaaalllll possibility which would not, in any way shape or form, prevent them from pursuing Rogers.

hornblower likes this.
  6. Lon Chaney

Dude. No.

They are waiting until this weekend. Then moving on.

7. Br4d

I wish you were right on this but I think Rodgers has them over a barrel and he's just going to keep watching them roll back and forth until he suddenly has the epiphany that he'd be paying something like $5M a year to pick the Jets over the Fins.

8. Lon Chaney

I'll tell you this. I'm ok with this pursuit of Rodgers. I always thought it made sense at the right compensation.

However, if this FO drags this out past Sunday, and we don't see any real signings or movement in FA, I will 100% be the first to eat crow. And it will show more incompetence than I ever thought could exist in today's NFL. Woody? I could see being oblivious. But if JD isn't just like "Fuck off old man we gotta move forward", then he can go to.

#368 Lon Chaney, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    NYJetsO12 and dawinner127 like this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Interesting how this post didn’t get a call out considering it started the whole politics thing in the first place when it was not about politics at all but what a weirdo AR is.

10. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I certainly hope you’re right but I have my doubts

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. Br4d

Politics has no weird.

*Scratches head*

Or maybe Politics is all weird?

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No moving target. We aim to keep Politics out of Jets forum. Simple as that. Don’t want to ban anybody due to sensitive nature of Rodgers signing. Entire fan base is holding their breath. Let’s not continue this discussion.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not simple though, not at all.

I dont envy your job. If they do make the move for Rodgers its gonna be hell trying to call balls and strikes here. The guy dips into "politics" every week on his radio show with the punter. You really expect people to not comment on that?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This fan base needs to come to grips if the want the best QB available for this team in the near term yes or not. A bunch of lame excuses as to the drama queen rhetoric has zero fuck all to do with field performance and is utterly laughable and significantly judgmental in many aspects.

hornblower, SOJAZ, bicketybam and 3 others like this.
  15. cmcm750203

I know we’re not the bastion of good decisions but I can’t see even this franchise waiting on AR while other options fall off the board. If they do then they should all be fired before the season starts if something goes sideways.

NYJetsO12 and Lon Chaney like this.
  16. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Just IMO the Jets probably know if Rodgers wants to come here or not by now. Also if Rodgers wants to come here, it doesn't benefit him to play games or be indecisive.

I think the Jets being the only team to meet with him is a positive sign. I really don't know if he comes here but I currently sit here today thinking it's more likely he is coming and we probably will find out within a week. I don't expect him to publically voice his intent either, I would just expect an announcement to come at some point with the trade details alongside him holding a press conference or PR statement saying goodbye to Green Bay.

hornblower and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. cmcm750203

I don’t think anyone really cares about those aspects. Hell I’m the one who brought up the drama queen angle and was just surprised that someone actually thinks he’s not. I just assumed that was common knowledge. Dudes weird. Doesn’t matter as long as he wins games.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, JetsNation06 and 2 others like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they can have their fun this week, maybe take Rodgers out on another cute date this weekend but free agency starts next week and they better have a decision made before then

Cosmo, SOJAZ, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

So what? That's a weird thing to even have an opinion about... One I'm not even sure would be accurate.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is no moving standard. Is just what suit some of the views here. AR is a hell of a QB and performance on the field has zero all to do with politics. Who he talks to on the media is his damned business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.