ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Stomach? Keep the Pepto Bismal ready if the Jets go for the Lamar deal cause it not only stinks but injury man Lamar will miss 10 games..book it

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Does Rodgers even want to come here?

We do have young talent on offense and a solid overall team, but we don't have a proven track record.
    The only way I see Rodgers coming here is to 1 up Favre. He wants to say he came to NY and finished the job. Therefore Rodgers becomes the bigger legend. I know it sounds crazy, but at this point in Rodgers career he doesn't have much to prove. But if he wins a championship with the Jets, that in itself makes you legendary.

I do think Rodgers end up in Jet Green.

3. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

My take on this whole Derek Carr situation is this, Derek always wanted to play in a division where he feels he's better than the competition. He now plays in the NFC South against QBs like Sam Darnold, Kyle Trask, and Desmond Ridder as opposed to playing against Tua, Jones, and Allen. Plus he stays in a dome and warm weather because he knew he sucked at playing in cold weather.

In all honesty, I think Tannehill is the same player as Carr, at least they have the same numbers. I don't want Rodgers on this team because it would take giving up a lot for a 40-year-old weird-ass drama queen that would NOT get us a SB ring within 2 years. But we all know that Woody Johnson has a woody to win a SB since he hasn't won one in the 22 years he's owned the team. He just doesn't get it as an owner.

Jets will, or should I say, Woody will screw this up and set us back to rebuilding again. I dislike our owner with a passion.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Take a look at the contract breakdown. 100 mil is not fully guaranteed. Basically first two years worth 30 mil each, and third year 40 mil, but only 10 guaranteed. 4th year is 50 mil, but 0 guaranteed. It's there for optics, but 50 mil year with 0 guarantee is worthless.

Basically, you can view this contract like this: 2 year 35 mil per or 3 year 33 mil per, team option. Fair deal, not an overpayment. Woody would have easily matched that. If we are getting Rodgers, we guarantee 110 mil over two years, Carr - only 70. Big difference.

Closer look at Carr's contract
    A breakdown of Derek Carr's deal with the Saints, according to a source who has viewed the contract:

• $28.5 million signing bonus;

• $1.5 million fully guaranteed salary in 2023;

• $30 million fully guaranteed salary in 2024;

• $40 million salary for 2025, of which $10 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2024 and the remainder in March 2025;

• $50 million salary for 2026, which is not guaranteed.

-- ESPN's Dan Graziano

KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Watch this end with Rodgers telling the Jets to stuff it, and for fear of losing his job, Douglas trading a ridiculous amount of draft capital for one of the first round QBs.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

You're right about that but at this point what real options are there?

We can't tank next year for ol boy at USC, and QB's of any quality are impossible to come across...

Thats why Carr was I freaking deal

7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

If Jets miss out on Rodgers JD will feel pressured to do something drastic considering it's his last year anyway if they miss the playoffs.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The most immediate impact players for this team in the draft would be a roadgrader O-lineman and a quick LB

sozopol likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So it would seem that we were even aware that he was going to take the New Orleans contract if we didn’t offer him one. Up till the minute he excepted the deal. This makes it all so much worse.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is almost like hiring a failed assistant coach just to please free agent QBs is a bad plan.

coulda seen that coming

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Favre came here kicking and screaming because he really wanted to go to Minnesota and the Packers weren't going to let that happen.

The question is where does Aaron Rodgers really want to go and will he come here kicking and screaming purely for the money left on his contract?

If he wanted to be here he'd be here already. There's been no impediment to a trade from day one because the Packers clearly want to move on and get the contract off their books.

That darkness retreat thing was a clear indication that the last place on earth Rodgers wants to be is in NY as the figurehead for a bad franchise in another bad phase.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If/when Rodgers gets here you are going to be relegated to moaning about what it cost, his cap number, his salary, his anti-vaxx stance, etc. But the product on the field will be winning football with a very realistic shot of winning the division and hosting home playoff games. In other words, dark days are ahead for you

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Aside from not wanting to eat that big signing bonus after a year, or have it escalate onto their salary cap...

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let’s move this to NFL Section