ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The difference to me, and I’m aware this is just my personal opinion, is that Lamar proven he can’t stay healthy and even when healthy he hasn’t been able to get past the AFC elite teams despite having an elite defense. Is what we have on offense that much of an upgrade over what he’s had? I argue in some areas it’s a downgrade.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where have you heard Rodgers would be paid a decent amount of money over the next 4-5 years? Source?

If that's true, and if Rodgers could actually play near his career levels, I'd definitely prefer him over Lamar. For one, I doubt Rodgers would cost as much as Jackson. And more importantly, we'd be getting a QB who has actually played at a championship level. For three, even at his age I think Rodgers would be less injury prone than Lamar due to their styles of play.

But I don't think Rodgers will be getting a 4-5 contract, and I don't think Douglas will seriously pursue Jackson.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the Jets are about to get Rodgers. I don't think Carr used the Jets as leverage. It's more like we didn't make an offer waiting for Rodgers and the time ran out. This could be either a total disaster of JD's incompetence or a confirmation that we are getting our #1 choice, which is Aaron. I don't think there is anything in between. I tend to think it is the latter.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Lamar is getting an unfair treatment if you ask me. As poster said above there was nothing official he wanted a full guarantee. And 2nd, if you build up the WRs group which the Ravens haven’t done well the last 2-3 years, then Lamar wouldn’t need to run much. They got a great RB group, a solid OL and a solid QB. Lamar.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He has to run, that's what he does. Not the best passer, if that's how we plan to use him it's a waste of pics and $

6. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

I'm depressed.

hobgoblin likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

If you are going to trade for Lamar and then take away the only elite part of his game then why the hell are you trading for Lamar? There’s a reason Baltimore isn’t in a rush to lock him up for the rest of his career. There’s very little evidence that says someone who plays his style can carry a team to a title.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

that the misconception of Lamar not being a great passer. He isn’t the top passer but he is a solid passer. People think he is only a runner. And that is a wrong perception.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  9. NOVAJET

Saints were the destination all along IMO, the way they have been dumping cap the last few days was a pretty clear sign.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's a fairly small sample size though. Lamar played in 16, 15, and 15 games his first 3 years and now in his last 2 he's only played in 12 games both years (missed 5 games each year).

Neither injury, an ankle sprain and a PCL sprain, are career-altering injuries either. I get the concern but at this point it's either trade for a 38 year old QB who probably has 1 elite year left or trade more picks for a 26 year old former MVP QB with an injury history. Again, neither option is great but that's where we're at now.

Lamar's really only had 1 good WR target his whole career (Marquise Brown), granted he's had one of the best TE's in the league for the last few years in Andrews but he's really not had that many great targets in the passing game. I don't think it's crazy to say that GW would instantly become the best WR Lamar's ever had if he were traded to the Jets.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Let's face it New Orleans Saints have alot going for them. Warm weather in nfc south dome at home, shit division, weak nfc compared afc.
    I'm not putting this on JD, especially with Rogers still an option. Sometimes you have to take chances.

12. NOVAJET

My point is for what we would have to give up for a "solid" passer would be insane. Tons of $ and top picks.

13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

You don’t need him to be a runner at all times. But when needed like Mahomes, he can leave the protection or collapse and pick up 5-10-20 yards when needed.

now I am not by any means advocating I want him with the Jets because jets are far from a playoff team right now and have too many holes to fill.

14. NYsportsfan1962

If the Jets had a deal in place with Green Bay I wonder if Carr signing with New Orleans changes the asking price. The Jets might have used leverage of potentially just signing Carr as an option to lower the price to acquire Rodgers. I think JD will get some negative press if he now misses out on Rodgers.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

And you’re right. If JD thinks he is worth the picks so be it. I just see the Jets have a lot of holes. This goes the same for AR, which I am not sure at what costs and draft, the jets need more help to build around AR who many have said May be here only 1-2 years.

16. BroadwayAaron

two years can easily be the start of a trend and I’d also be interested in looking a little deeper and seeing how many of those games he played in he was actually healthy for. I feel like he’s played through multiple injuries for multiple years and for the last two years his body has been letting him know it

And Garrett Wilson would easily be the best receiver he’s ever played with but he’s downgrading on the offensive line and he’s downgrading at tight end. I just don’t see any way you can run the kind of offense Lamar needs in order to thrive with out a top-tier OL.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If he misses on Rodgers now, the guy is simply not good enough. Missing on ZW, Carr, AND Rodgers - all the negative press will be fully deserved and then some.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Tannehill is the guy for me now.
    In true Jets fashion we will throw 2 #'1's and a player for the rights to Aaron and then commit 130M for 2 years

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  19. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Great news to wake up to! Well at least the season is over before it ever began this year. I can’t believe this team is so consistently poorly run. Year after year, that carrot gets dangled in front of our faces and we stupidly chase it. Every damn time. Now praying for a miracle and Zach miraculously learns how to play quarterback this year. We’re fucked!

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like Tanny will not be available. It might be injury prone Jimmy G or worse if we don't get Rodgers. What a drop off. JD has to get Rodgers now. Basically Carr move means that JD is either a genius or an idiot. We will find out soon enough which one.

SOJAZ likes this.