ESPN and CBS: Saints are front runners to sign Derek Carr

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NOVAJET, Mar 5, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would assume it’s the fact that the Saints made him there number one target and we told him to sit around and wait for one of the most notorious dip shits in professional sports to make up his mind.

Ralebird, Since1969 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

The Jets also lost a lot of leverage they had with GB as well.

Ralebird and Since1969 like this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I anticipate Rogers to Miami. Rogers ego screwed the Jets. I hope Joe knows more than we do I have to think that he already has a plan with Green Bay and it's all up to Rogers whether he decides to retire or even play for the jets. I'm sure Carr went to Joe and said this is your last chance put up or shut up. Joe decided to roll the dice on Rogers.

#103 BudJet, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I disagree. All depends on what happens with the franchise tag (exclusive/non-exclusive) though.

5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Is that confirmed tho? I'm not doubting you, but do we know for sure that its "rodgers above all else?"

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Not only the division but the conference as well. AFC is more challenging then the NFC right now.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think we know for sure but it's easy to connect the dots that if Carr was the Jets first option, he would've been a Jet a long time ago.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

I agree with everything you said here, but I would STILL rather go Lamar than Rodgers at this point.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think it came down to the fact that he is now the best QB in that division and probably no worse than 3rd in the NFC.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

Yeah, you are right about that.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

Excellent point.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

no matter what if you sign Lamar it’s because you caved to his fully guaranteed contract demands which would be not only disastrous for the team but for the league in general. I wouldn’t touch that situation with a 10 foot pole until those demands are dropped.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The playoff path in the NFC South is lightyears easier than what he'd have faced here for the next few years. It definitely makes sense.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Carr gave us plenty of time. It's Rodgers or bust now. Either JD is incompetent or he is close to the deal for Rodgers at this point.

KY Jets Fan and stinkyB like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

People are reacting like kids who woke up on Christmas and didn't see the pony they wished for under the tree. The reality is that Carr signing with the Jets was very unlikely to happen once he left NJ after his visit. Woody and JD are all in on Rodgers. Hopefully that happens because I don't like the alternatives.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  16. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I could very easily see us scraping the bottom of the barrel again. Unfortunately, Jimmy G and Tannyhill are looking better and better.

RochesterJet likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Stephen A. Smith did report that Lamar's camp reached out to him and said that they've never asked for a fully guaranteed deal.

I honestly don't know if he does or doesn't want a fully guaranteed deal but we're (probably, hopefully?) about to pay Rodgers a decent amount of guaranteed money over the next 4-5 years. That's why I don't see much of a difference in the 2. The main positive is that Lamar is much younger, so in theory you're getting him for more than the contract he signs for this offseason.

Honestly, now that Carr is off the board, neither situation is ideal but that's the situation we find ourselves in.

18. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Typical Jets, could have had Carr if they told him he was their guy, instead they play stupid Rodgers waiting game. Why would he wait when NO is showing him the love ??????

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Lets keep in mind that Carr now gets to play in a dome and his main division competition are the Buccaneers, Panthers and Falcons. The Jets are better than those teams outside of QB, but he probably has a better shot at the playoffs with NO. The AFC is loaded with really really good QBs

Maybe the Saints were always his first choice, and they just needed to make a competitive offer. Not everything is this crazy indictment on the front office.

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I hope your right, then Raiders are only team in our way, And they've been quiet on the Rogers front which scares the h*** out of me