ESPN: Jets approach Packers for Rodgers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Favre cost a 2nd, and Rodgers has some leverage to go where he wants.
    That’s always been the bar imo, the multiple firsts hysteria I see on this board is not realistic.

The one wildcard is how much cap Green Bay is eating.

2. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

He will play both seasons. He won’t walk away from the cash. Just like last year

ColoradoContrails and NOVAJET like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I do. We might feel a sense of urgency; it's obvious Rodgers and Carr do not. At least not until the first domino falls.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You just explained why Carr isn’t taking his time in your own post explaining how Carr is taking his time. He’s not on his own schedule right now, he’s in Rodgers’ schedule.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The statement that was made that I agree wholeheartedly with was "But Carr wants to take his time and think over every offer." As of nine o'clock Saturday night, there is nothing to change that timeline. When that "first domino falls" the clock will start for all of the players in the game, Carr included.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this has been said:

In my humble opinion, if we trade for Rogers it signals they will keep Zach and hope Rodgers works with him. Plus Rodgers time-line of more than likely playing 2 more years still gives Zach hope.

If we sign Carr, that to me signals the end of Zach with the Jets. Feasible, Carr could play for another 5-10 years if he stays healthy and has the desire. Thus, the end of Zach.

Once again, this is just my opinion

LogeSection2RowJ and KingRoach like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m ok with Rodgers. If he takes us deep into the playoffs I don’t care. In fact he will be back for year two. If it doesn’t, who cares what he decides year two. Fact is, if the price is fair, say no number one this year, he is far and away the best option and then some.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

There is no way that Rodgers is traded for less than a 1 . Why would Green Bay do it? Rodgers is a ass but he is a hall of fame qb who is still playing at a high level

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Because GB does not want him and does not want him to go to the NFC. Simple

KingRoach likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Leverage.

If Greenbay Is ready to move on, wants to get some type of compensation from Rodgers.. Beggers can't be choosers. Packers have got more than enough value out of taking Rodgers with a late first rounder. He Is on the back 9 of his career...

It would be an absolute desperate move to trade a 1st for Rodgers at this point In his career. You are not paying for what he's already done, you are paying for what he can do and for how long... He obviously Is already contemplating retirement now, so he wont be playing this game much longer.

The packers shouldn't get a 1st for a guy with a massive contract on his way out the door anyway. It would be foolish. IMO

11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He’s a headcase. There’s no telling what he’ll do in year 2. I don’t want this headache next year. I don’t care what he costs, I don’t want him

blackssmagic and Cman68 like this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A lot of fans will be upset if we give up a 1st for Rodgers instead of signing Carr and rightfully so.

And Green Bay has all the leverage here, not sure what some of you are talking about. They could easily say no to any trade and force him to retire. They don't have to do anything.

The precedent of a 1st has been set with much lesser QB's than Rodgers. I hope Jets brass doesn't fall for it. Big mistake. Don't do it.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The colts got Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rodgers doesn't really want to leave Green Bay. All the impetus for the Rodgers trades at this point is coming from Green Bay.

There's no leverage there. The Packers just want Rodgers to ask for the trade so they don't have to deal with their fan base being up in arms if they can't find a replacement easily. They also want Rodgers out of the NFC so the worst that can happen is they wind up facing him in a Super Bowl - which if they're there makes the point that he wasn't necessary.

You can make a pretty strong argument that they'd trade him for next to nothing to clear the cap hit and money as long as it prevented him from playing in the NFC next season. This is similar to the Favre situation, where the Packers wanted to move on but not if Favre was going to wind up playing in Minnesota.

blackssmagic, NOVAJET, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There’s a pretty big difference between 2022 Matt Ryan and 2023 Aaron Rodgers though.

blackssmagic and JetsNation06 like this.
  16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Carr shouldn't need to be in a hurry. Let that price build up.

17. JetsNation06

WTH does that have to do with a first ballot HOF'er like Rodgers who's still playing at a high level? Two entirely different situations and kind of making my point for me.

stinkyB likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to be rude but your opinion makes no sense. Zach Wilson is here at most for 2 years, we’re obviously not going to exercise his 5th year option. We’re trying to find a veteran that will play here for at least 2 years. Zach Wilson is done here unless the veteran we sign gets hurt. We’re much better off trading Zach and drafting a guy like Richardson or Levi’s who would substantially benefit from the time learning, AND will be under contract for 2 more years in 2025.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

They have to pay him, no way they can "force" him to retire. They aren't going to bench him either with that contract. Rodgers has ALL the leverage here. The Packers don't have much say In a lot of this actually.

How do you figure the Packers have all the leverage? Doesn't make sense to me.

They are on the hook with a massive contract unless they trade him. If they don't trade him, they are only prolonging the transition to Jordan Love at this point. They can't trade him to any team they want because Rodgers can just say fuck off and threaten retirement, which would result In ZERO compensation for the Packers. There aren't a bunch of teams lining up for his services at this point either according to reports. So, they can't be picky about the compensation when the Jets are seemingly the only team willing to potentially trade for him at this time. There Is no bidding war amongst this situation.

The Packers don't have much leverage at all actually.

20. JetsNation06

Of course they have leverage, he's under contract and he's property of the Packers. That's all that matters here.

If the Jets give up a 1st for Rodgers, they are idiots. The end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.