Jalen Carter

Discussion in 'Draft' started by blackssmagic, Mar 2, 2023.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I have no tolerance for reckless drivers. This wasn’t a one time bad judgment. “Months before the deaths, on September 22, Carter is stopped for speeding. An officer is heard on body camera footage telling him that he is “reckless,” and issues three traffic tickets”

Alcohol impairment, racing, reckless driving, and speed were significant contributing factors to the crash. Jalen fled the scene. Lied about being at the scene when he eventually returned there. Was he tested? I would deduce that he was probably drinking too. If he wasn’t he thought it was a good idea to race someone who was.

You see friends of yours in a crash and your impulse is to leave? How do you just leave people like that?

However a team can give a man with a billion women accusing him of impropriety 230M guaranteed Jalen is gonna get signed. Probably won’t fall very far.

2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

That’s is the thing. This is the only time he was speeding. He left the scene? He changed the story. That’s a a red flag. I pass. jets have other priorities.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Jalen is dealing with misdemeanor charges, which are fair in this case. He fucked up, and he will need to suffer consequences. Just like Q for carrying a weapon. About to get a 100 mil extension. Some of you guys want Jalen for murder. The guy in the other car was drunk, Jalen is not responsible for him. He is responsible for racing and reckless driving, which are not at the level of felony charges. He needs to pay the price and learn from that, but let's not exaggerate what that price should be. As a first time offender, this would not result in jail time. I don't see him falling in the draft one spot.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Georgia Code 40-6-270 is as follows:

The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or the death of any person or in damage to a vehicle which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident or shall stop as close thereto as possible and forthwith return to the scene of the accident

If there are serious injuries or deaths, this can be charged as a felony, resulting in imprisonment for at least one year and up to five years upon conviction. The fact that the current charges are misdemeanors doesn't mean it will stay that way. Given that he is a football hero, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a plea deal that results in a suspended license and probation, but that would be because the DA doesn't want to charge him with felonies, not because the DA can't charge him with felonies.

5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

While it’s speculation it’s probably fair to say he left the scene because he was drunk, and if he stayed and blew over the limit he very well would be facing manslaughter. The problem becomes the fact it’s actually wiser for him to leave the scene, and if the charges are truly a slap on the wrist for that, every drunk person on the road would be wise to leave the scene of any accident. To me leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death should be a severe punishment.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Will we take him at #13? No

Should we take him at #13? Absolutely

Otherwise we watch him go to the Dolphins or Bills to make us miserable for a decade.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

no,this team has drafted a DT in the first round in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2019 and still no playoffs. please no more

kevda5n9ne and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes. Wasn't it Einstein who said "The definition of insanity is drafting a DT with your first pick over and over expecting to win a championship?".

Some people never learn.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Tunsil dropped about 8 spots for smoking weed which is also not a felony.

Also, the other driver was a “she”.

#30 KingRoach, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  11. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

That video of him using a gas mask to smoke was not a good look lol - maybe if the video didnt drop it might not have hurt his fall so much

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And how did that work out? I am sure teams learned their lesson.

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right: it is nothing but a speculation.

KingRoach likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

To what end? What if the accident happened and you drive by it when it’s fresh? Can you leave it the ? What if you see the accident in your rear view; do you need to stay there?

It was a 1 car accident and the driver was drunk and speeding. It sucks but stop trying to hand out charges.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Im not saying what I said in context of Jalen Carter. I’m just simply saying if laws of fleeing the scene are so lenient, it literally motivates anyone who’s knowingly intoxicated to leave the scene. To the point if I was a lawyer and had a client call me drunk at the scene of an accident I’d tell him to gtfo out of there and turn your self in when you’re sober.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know there’s legal precedent to try to get him for manslaughter but that’s pretty crazy.

Don’t people believe in second chances? Not if he’s about to get paid a lot of money though?

I will say though. This is partly going to become a bigger and bigger problem with NIL deals and giving some of these kids millions of dollars to play in college. They can fuck up and be financially fine so they don’t have to toe the line as much.

wewantsapp and blackssmagic like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jalen Carter's problem is that he was a known problem on the roadways. He'd been stopped a couple of times before this disaster. That's likely why he left the scene.

It's going to take a very brave franchise to spend a high pick on a guy who is fairly likely to have legal entanglements at least into the fall and maybe longer.

If Carter's people are smart they will have him take a plea beforehand that avoids jail time but carries a heavy commitment in terms of public service, making vids to try to prevent the kind of street racing that he engaged in and appearing before youth groups to talk about it in person.

If they want to see him fall down the draft they will go the "full exoneration" path that will never happen anyway and will definitely damage his draft prospects.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He drives a Trackhawk. They start around $90k and they are fast as fuck. Hard to drive them slow.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Hate to bring this back but he completely bombed his pro day...came in heavy and did no position drills.

This guy might be sitting there at 13 after all

KingRoach likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From the sounds of it, he might be there at 43, too

KingRoach, blackssmagic and stinkyB like this.