Carr and cold weather..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok, I've read enough about this and have seen it used as a reason not to sign DC. As we wait for the Living Legend to see his shadow when he comes out of his burrow, can we ask this question with all honesty?

When was the last time the Jets played in frigid conditions? Wasn't last year. Rainy yes, super cold? no. I'm sure I saw something from I think Rale had posted about temps during Jet games in '22.. If I'm mistaken, can someone do some research on this? Lets be informed about this as I think its BS. Not from the standpoint that Carr has lost games in cold weather, but from the position that the Jets don't play many games in truly cold weather anymore..

Miami? no... New England? not really frigid... Buffalo? snow more than cold. Pittsburgh? cold but we don't play there very often. Cleveland? snowy but not frigid. Baltimore? nope. Cincinnati? see Pittsburgh. Kansas City might be the coldest city in the AFC.

So, if someone would be kind enough to provide the weather numbers for Jet games last season or even '21, please do us a favor and post them..

Thanks in advance!

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The guy has played his entire career in Oakland/Vegas. The sample size of true cold weather games isn't large. Like you said, how many games is he going to play in freezing conditions with the Jets? I wouldn't let it be a detriment at all.

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Being a northeast team, you always run the risk of cold weather games in December. But I remember a few years ago a Jets game right before Christmas and it was close to 70 degrees out. People were tailgating in shorts that day. A game late in the year in Buffalo or NE can obviously be a factor with cold, wind, snow but for the most part the Jets or any team in the east doesn't really deal with bad weather too much. Buffalo has to deal with it the most in late Nov and Dec but that's it. A lot of their games during that time of year are played on sunny days anyway so it's not really that bad. The bad weather factor is overblown IMHO. Most games at MetLife are not bad weather wise.

4. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Born in Cali. Played college ball in Cali. Played professional ball in Cali. Can’t imagine there’s a large sample size to make a determination on how he’d acclimate to colder weather.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is a funny criticism. In 2021 he lead the Raiders to 4 straight dec/jan wins with an interim coach to make the playoffs. One of those wins he lead a game winning drive in the final 1:50 seconds in Cleveland of all places on Monday night football.

Night game in Cleveland? On December 20th?

it doesn't get attributed to his cold weather stats because the temperature at kickoff was 41 degrees and the stat is, of course, 40 degrees and below. Not sure how 1 degree makes a difference and I'm pretty sure it got colder as the evening went on :D

papapump, LAJet and barfolomew like this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Divisional round AFC last year Bengals Bills was 34° with 91% chance of snow at kickoff.
    AFC Championship game was 21° at kickoff I believe. Still think people make way to big a deal about it but if we are going all the way it will be a bit chilly.

7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

It's a non issue, just DC haters grasping at straws

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ve said it a bunch, but living in the climate you play in will make you better in that climate. Rather than seeing a 20+ degree temperature swing.

Going from Vegas to a cold weather game in December when you have two days to acclimate is a lot different than playing a home game in that temperature. Or going from NY climate to Massachusetts.

I also think it’s a bit of an advantage playing east and traveling west than vice versa. You gain time going out west. It’s always been easier for me travel wise although I don’t have to play football games.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This should be the thread. No reason to keep it anymore :)

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If were never playing in the cold, then how does that make him adjust to the cold?

It cant be both.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty easy to understand, if you play in a certain climate most of the time, you will adjust to that climate. Adjusting to a 20 degree game is easier if you have been practicing in 40 degree weather as opposed to 85 degree weather.

JetFanInNE and bicketybam like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I need to see some data on how Aaron Rodgers plays in warm weather!

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Take a look at this: https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/02/22/ny-jets-derek-carr-cold-weather-stats/

What's interesting is that Carr's stats are not bad in cold weather against the teams that are not good. The problem is that when he played in cold weather, it was in vast majority in critical moments of the season, against very good opposition, on the road.

Here is the takeaway which makes sense to me: "... it’s probable that Carr’s numbers in these games have more to do with how he performs against quality opponents than how he responds to cold conditions. If I were Joe Douglas and I saw these numbers, I would be more concerned with whether Carr can beat top teams on the road than whether he can handle the cold. That’s the main takeaway from Carr’s cold-weather stats."

14. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

heard this on the radio the other day....carr has only played 7 games where the weather was below 37 at kickoff which is only 5% of total games he has started. also, last year there 0 games below 37 degrees at kickoff at metlife and jets played 2 games below 37 at kickoff one being in buffalo, other i forget which was away anyways. So this cold weather nonsense is just that.

Cman68 and abyzmul like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think that’s a bit of over analysis by the whiz-kid as usual. I think you can remove all of the cold weather factor in this statistics and just say Carr hasn’t beaten teams better than his own on the road very often. Which makes sense given the teams overall talent level since he’s been there.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is only one way to find out the answer to this question. But to deny up front that it is a potential red flag is simply denial. We have a way of being desperate and denying red flags with QB prospects. The flag exists. Its doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but it doesn't improve the situation.

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

it's true it could be because of opponent quality, but what are his stats against quality opponents in good weather. Either way it should be a concern. I'm not qualified enough to say it should disqualify him but we have to seriously weigh that we play in cold weather. Our best in conference competition is in cold weather. We also have windy conditions too.

if we take the next step forward, our most important games will be in colder and windier weather.

very difficult decision IMO

ouchy likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The weather excuse is yet another nonsensical NFL media wanna be statistician looking to dig up a a new angle so he can continue to keep his high paying unnecessary job. I heard few very insightful interviews of actual NFL football players that stated that is mostly all utter nonsense. The point was made that if you normally play and train in real hot weather say Florida or Arizona it might take a little adjustment when you go to a city with extreme cold temperatures. But if you actually train in a similar environment, i.e. NY, there is absolutely no difference if the weather varies a few degrees from city to city. In fact, if you train and play in NY where the wind is often a factor, and much more impactful than cold weather, you actually have a bit of an edge. I guess we must have forgotten when the Raiders came to town in December 2020 and Carr threw for 380 yards including a massive bomb on the last second thanks to our cover zero BS defense to steal a win. I venture to say weather and wind in NJ didn't seem to bother him much that day. All you need to look at is his performance over the last four years and say, gee that is about 70% better than anything we have ever seen. What am I missing here?

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Derek Carr has been carrying the Raiders on his back for 9 years.

Cold weather concerns are ridiculous...

Burnz, LAJet, barfolomew and 3 others like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It makes sense, but I don't care too much about W/L record. Passer rating is 57.6 though, which is total shit. Still, we are talking about 7 game sample size, which is pretty small.

bicketybam and ouchy like this.