Let's discuss Michael Turner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 9, 2007.

1. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

i think it would be a wise move i like his size we need some beef running leon is to light ut remember this tiki was the same player untill he got the ball all the time so he could be the man

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think Mangini sees Running Back as a position needing an upgrade. I believe he's very high on Leon Washington and would rather keep his draft picks to shore up the defensive and offensive line. Personally, I would agree with that decision. I think with better run-blocking Leon will be a 1000 yard rusher next season.

3. al kickurass

al kickurass New Member

I am hope we don't trade a second rounder or more for Turner. The only way I would be ok with such a deal is if Schottenheimer begged for us to get Turner. Which would be a pretty big gamble on his part to endorse an unproven commodity.

I like the notion of getting a better o-line then trading for Turner, or hoping that a good back slips in the second round of the draft.

D-line is a bigger necessity than RB at the moment, in particular NT and replace Kimo.

4. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Tastes good on popcorn mainly. Being straight butter is even better than just being butter.

Don't you like butter?

5. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

we need a FB and a RT....my sig wil answer the first part for you.

6. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

typo maybe? meant bEtter?

yeah really....the madden curse is the most reliable in sports anymore.

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

come again?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I want to sit on the backs that we have right now, unless a huge value pick falls our way in the second round.

I never say that runningbacks can't take information, I did say that there is only so much knowledge that can be acquired at that particular position. You can't teach vision, it's something you just have to see. One year behind Tomlinson, and that's about all the information I could see a runningback absorbing. You can teach a back to block, and you can teach a back to run lower, however after that, there's not much more you can tell him. The way a player cuts, the speed he hits the hole, the way he breaks tackles, all come from the physical end. Runningback is a much more physical position then you're giving it credit for. Yes, there is information that can be learned, in picking up blitzers, and reading linebacker tendencies, but that all comes from film study. You cannot teach a runningback to be great.

Turner is an experienced backup. My problem with giving up this high pick, is that fresh legs or not, we can get someone to equal him in the second round. Not to mention we still have two backs on the roster that haven't proven themselves with anything better then a makeshift offensive line hosting two rookies.

You can create a system back, just like Denver has done with feature runners such as Olandis Gary. Look at what running behind the best offensive line including two future Hall of Famers, did for Priest Holmes. It gave him the touchdown record.

Build the line, and worry about runningback later. You can always use an average back, behind a good line. You can't use a good back, behind a bad line though.

9. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

All I can think of is how pissed Id be if the Jets trade their first rounder for Michael Turner, and then Michael Bush is available with the Jets second rounder.

10. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

Nobody will be complaining about what we paid for Turner at the end of the 08 season

11. Im against giving up a 1st rounder for him, and have some reservations..but our OC spent alot of time w/ him in SD...and if he truly beleives he is the RB to take our running game to the next level, and we upgradethe OL..by all means...give them a second round pick.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I cant see anyone with the willingness to give up a 1st for him. He has not done anything deserve that kind of trade value. A 2nd in my eyes is even pushing the envelope. I agree with J_V, and think the best route is to AGAIN go after those "not so flashy" picks, and turn this line into a future All-Pro line. Improve our trenches, and you improve our chances towards the big game.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Don't you mean the 07 season?

14. Tight

Tight Active Member

Exactly if we do bring him in, I take it , it was mainly SChott who pushed it.

Then it boils down to who knows more poster Jonathan_Vilma, or schott.

Ill take schotts word everytime.

15. FreemanMcNeil24

FreemanMcNeil24 New Member

i dont want turner....a 1st round pick for him...fuck that...BUSH...lets get bush with one of our second rds

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Nobody on this board wants him for a first rounder. Almost everyone has said we should only give up a second rounder at best.

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He's been making big plays for them ever since his rookie year, even with the line changing. Therfore it's not that.

If starting for us I think he'd be a top 10 RB in the NFL, however I think SD will franchise him and if they do, consider me out of the "sign MT" bunch. I don't wanna go spending millions upon millions on him, when we can get a good young rookie RB with one of our first 2 picks.

I'd LOVE our 1st 2nd rounder, Barlow, and a 6th for Turner...save money and really only give up one good pick.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Bingo. I'm also in that school of thought. I believe I read somewhere within the last several days that Mangini and Tannenbaum were "comfortable" with running back by committee. In fact, the article mentioned that it might become the copy-cat thing to do... RBBC.

At any rate, I see Tangini going for the lines and upgrading them once and for all to an acceptable level and being done with that phase of the rebuild. Once they know we're reasonably set with that, then we fill in from there... RB, WR, CB, etc.