Does adding D. Carr make the Jets a SB winner?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Feb 20, 2023.

1. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

?

Ron

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good detailed read:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-...e-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

It cant tell the whole story but their is a lot of insight.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry didn't check your link.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The sense I get from this is that Derek Carr is used to being treated a certain way, and playing a certain way. Maybe being a 9 year vet entitles him to that, IDK. But that raises a yellow flag for me. Can Carr come to the Jets and establish such a level of trust with the rest of the team that he won't piss them off with this attitude (for lack of a better word)?

Here's the thing: players can say they want to win more than anything, and they may believe that, and they may believe they're doing everything they can towards that end, but that doesn't mean they're willing to actually do everything they can, including - and especially - setting aside their own ego, and not being concerned about defending their performance, and in a related fashion, calling out their teammates for not doing everything they can to win. To put this in context, someone like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, can get away with calling out their teammates maybe because they've been with their team a while, but a new guy like Carr would likely piss his teammates off if he doesn't first prove to them that he hold himself accountable first.

I'm not saying this is what will happen, only that I have a sense that it might. If the Jets sign Carr, I hope I'm wrong.

Since1969 and ouchy like this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think getting Derek Carr gives the Jets the chance to compete with any team in the league.

Does that make them a superbowl winner? Of course not, a lot has to go right to win a Superbowl.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The answer to this question is to look at Carr's stats from his worst season (basically 2017 or 2022). Because right now, the Jets' offensive line is worse than any offensive line that Carr has been behind his entire career. Does 61% completion percentage, 3500 yards passing, 23 TDs and 13 interceptions get the Jets to the Super Bowl? It got Oakland/Las Vegas to 6 wins 9 losses (twice).

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean I don’t exactly give Josh McDaniels a lot of rope because he was pretty hated when he coached in Denver. He wasn’t wanted by the locker room in Oakland it seems either and he comes from a coaching tree where the coaches are usually disliked (Joe Judge, Matt Patricia and more) and don’t succeed away from New England.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ers-coach-josh-mcdaniels-and-he-explains-why/

https://www.raidersbeat.com/former-...iders-are-shutting-it-down-on-josh-mcdaniels/

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-raiders-players-disappointed-josh-mcdaniels-hire

I
    ’ve never really heard anything bad said about Carr by coaches or players. Maybe I haven’t paid attention, but a lot of this seems like manufactured drama by the Raiders to justify parting ways in a very Ben McAdoo benching Eli kind of way.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Teamsport. What were their defensive rankings, Run game rankings, and Pass game rankings? I'm sure that will divulge a little more into the record out side of his stats and what it could do for us

10. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

My answer to this is exactly the same as it was to the Rodgers question; I don’t believe they’re just a quarterback away from winning the Super Bowl but he gets them closer. I still think they need at least one more defender and at least one more offensive lineman

CotcheryFan and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

No, but he gets us closer. The OL still needs to be upgraded among other things.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I like Carr better only because I hate giving up draft picks. Rodgers is essentially a 1 year rental and he'd be too costly with his salary and the draft picks. Carr gives us an upgrade we desperately need at QB and leaves us with the draft picks to address our biggest needs.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

13. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We need a competent QB in position for this young team to learn to win...Shit even have a chance to win. Carr won't make us into over night contenders but gives us a guy to hold thee Spot while we Develop a long term solution through the draft. Not having something in place outside of Zach and Mike and we are walking into a dead duck season for the entire team and it's development.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Carr and a sured up offensive line most likely get us to the playoffs, but highly unlikely makes us a Super Bowl winner, or even an AFC Super Bowl rep for that matter.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets need to do something to get the refs on their side. The 2022 season saw many bad calls or lack of calls go against the Jets. It was mind-boggling! It was also apparent in the playoffs that the Chiefs were getting a lot of bad calls in their favor. They definitely have the refs on their side. So that's a necessary component to win the SB these days.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Knowing this fan base we will be calling for Carr's head halfway through the season.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Halfway?

cval, JetFanInNE and ouchy like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You guys both also bled positivity about Zach Wilson no matter what happened. So it’s hard to take that perspective seriously either.

If Carr has more interceptions than touchdowns halfway through the season I’m going to bury him at the time. Why wouldn’t we?

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was out on Wilson after the second Pats game and I'm not sure I ever "bled positivity." Lol.

#39 bicketybam, Feb 22, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think Carr is the easiest and most logical sense for the Jets as far as being able to keep their picks and continue to rebuild and reload. The team has still a lot of holes to fill to be better such as OL, TE, LBs. As many stated, any of the QBs, Lamar, AR, Jones, Tannehill, Carr, and even Brisket makes the offense better. But we still got to build around Carr to get us closer to the top.