Derek Carr will visit with the Jets this weekend

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Feb 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Old man covid toe rodgers is a distraction, a bad teammate, and will most likely cost too much.

Carr is the qb to back.
    Fingers crossed we get him.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sounds like you don't like the fact he is unvaccinated, but where did bad teammate come from? I only heard good things about that. Distraction - I don't see it. Yeah, he is a bit of a diva and probably next year after the season is over will pull similar crap, but the guy plays ball with the best of them. Which is what we need right now. Price is steep, yes, but to get a top 10 QB, you have to pay. He is willing to restructure to spread the CAP hit over more years to make next two years at a low CAP #. I feel like we can really be a SB contender for two years with the guy. Vaccinated or not.

Don't take me wrong, I like Carr too. I would take him in a heartbeat. But I think putting down Rodgers like you just did is simply unsubstantiated.

RochesterJet, Jets1035 and NOVAJET like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Another thoughtful excellent post …the problem with acquiring Rodgers - for the Jets - is the compensation involved. The Jets are not simply a QB away from the SB. They need another solid offseason acquiring talent. OL, LB, S, and yes a QB. If this was the 2010 team then maybe you can roll the dice. That’s not the case. Personally I have made my opinion known that the Jets would be better off acquiring a FA - whether it be Carr, JG, Etc and using that draft capital to add solid cornerstones to the OL. If they really want Zach on the bench learning fine.

If this team were SB ready then find a way to acquire Rodgers. Your idea of compensation is perfect. Cap relief, a fourth round pick (even a third instead) and a future first if he gets the Jets the SB title within 2 years. That’s all he is worth at 39 years old.

All this political COVID nonsense really doesn’t matter. I could care less what his opinions are politically, religion, vaccines, etc. This is football. If he were to lead the Jets to a SB I guarantee you won’t hear a peep about that stuff anymore on this board.

#163 mrjet80, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess it's too much to hope that Rodgers is a smokescreen and Joe is locking Carr up right now to a 5-year incentive-laden deal. Hackett keeps throwing a monkey in that wrench.

5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

He turned GB which has always been about the team and the franchise into the aaron rodgers show. And he may be very expensive.
    Carr is younger, nearly as good, less expensive, less of a distraction, and can be here longer.

6. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

And doesn’t have to spend 4 days in the dark to decide whether he wants to play or not

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

It's oddly silent on the Carr front. Anyone hear if he's still in NJ or split?

Jets79 likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Even if the front office thinks that Rodgers is the better player they should grab Carr now and not look back.

The biggest problem with Rodgers is the waiting game, waiting for him to decide he wants to go to the Raiders means that all of the other decent options will be gone.

Carr is a free agent (we keep ALL of our draft picks) and he is younger.

SOJAZ, burf, RochesterJet and 5 others like this.
  10. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

He isn’t “nearly” as good.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

To be fair, we don't know what version of either QB we would be getting next season. But historically, Rodgers is much better. Anyone with eyes should be able to see that. "Nearly as good" is crazy talk.

ouchy likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Some folks prefer Punxsutawney Rodgers.. Que sera, sera...

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Carr visit may just have been to innoculate the Saints against tampering charges. The Raiders gave them permission to talk to Carr to facilitate a trade but the timing of his announcement that he would not accept a trade is suspicious given that it happened right after that visit.

Carr visiting the Jets makes it look like he was really interested in free agency as opposed to the Saints talking him into invoking the no trade clause.

ouchy likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Either very coincidental or Carr left NJ and told the Saints he’s coming.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What would grounds for tampering charges be here? The Saints had permission to do whatever they wanted.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

came here to post NY Jets beat writers were absent.

total failure

17. abyzmul

Carr could have invoked the no trade clause at any point in the process and it wouldn't have mattered. How would it matter if the Saints told him to during a sanctioned visit?

Sounds to me like the Raiders were just dumb.

18. Br4d

My understanding is that the Raider's permission revolved around the Saints and Carr's reps attempting to facilitate a trade. It becomes very murky where tampering kicks in when the team being spoken too has been given permission under those conditions.

19. abyzmul

What you just described is the Raiders being idiots.

20. Br4d

Nonetheless if they gave the Saints permission to speak to Carr to facilitate a trade and the Saints took that opportunity to court Carr as a free agent and get him to deny a trade then what the Saints did is tampering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.