ESPN: Jets approach Packers for Rodgers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The only issue the Raiders may have is that they are extremely cash poor. The Raiders are still paying Gruden and the lack of cash is one of the reasons why they probably didn't can McDaniels. I believe I even remember rumblings of them trying to sell the team sometime recently?

Trading for Rodgers most likely means you need to exercise at least 1 of, or if not both of this options to help spread the cap hit out over the 4 years of his contract. This means the cap hit over 23 and 24 will both be extremely low b/c Woody would be willing to pay an absurd amount of cash upfront and we get the cap hit later in the contract. Basically when Rodgers isn't on the roster in 25 or 26, the team that trades for him is hoping that the NFL cap goes up high enough so you don't feel the dead money for a player not on the roster. I believe the cap is supposed to hit 260+ in 25 and upwards of 280+ in 26.

There is some loophole with the NFL cap called cash over cap and it heavily favors rich owners. The tweet below is a link of 3 clips that can help explain it a little better if you are interested.

Lon Chaney and barfolomew like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If he calls it quits at Packers it will be Jets. Don't worry about Raiders bullshit. If Raiders were content with a vet QB they would continue with Carr. So either Jets or Packers

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All due respect @Brook! ... I think it's more complex than that.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  4. Brook!

Not really Acad. He has 3 options. Retire, play for Packers, play for Jets. If it is anything other than that I will gladly eat crow but I just don't see it

NOVAJET likes this.
  5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Raiders care about whether they have a veteran QB or not, I think they want a good QB. On one hand they have a QB for 8 years that has been about as average to just above average as it gets, on the other hand is a guy who won league MVP 2 out of the last 3 years and played through a thumb injury last year and STILL had a stat line that pretty much matches anything Carr has ever done.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like the fact that your proposed compensation does not involve the 2023 draft, and the picks are conditional.. As I recall, the jets tied the compensation for Favre to whether the jets made the playoffs the previous year that Favre quarterbacked the jets. If the jets are insistent (seems like it) about getting Rodgers, I guess it's not a bad idea to tie the compensation to whether the jets made the playoffs the previous year(s) under Rodgers. I really think, though, that the jets have some leverage on the Pack because I have read the Pack regret that huge contract they gave Rodgers last year, and they are tired of his offseason act. As you say, it's all moot anyway if Rodgers shuns the jets.
    I'd still rather try to get Carr or Jimmy G. and avoid draft pick compensation. .

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Would you rather have Rodgers for a year and no first round pick this year or next year, or Carr for 4 years without losing any draft picks? The draft compensation for Rodgers is what is driving me towards Carr.

8. Brook!

I don't think 1st round pick is in play. If we acquire Rodgers it will be cheaper than a 1st round pick. Rodgers' contract is an albatross and if GB is really tired of him, they will give him away cheap as long as Aaron is OK with the Jets.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Even leaving the draft pick out of the equation, Rodgers is a one to two year solution and then we are back to no QB (unless Wilson miraculously improves.) With Carr we are set for at least 4 years. That's a big plus in my opinion.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach just might learn more from Carr than he would from Rodgers.

JetFanInNE, NY Jets68 and stinkyB like this.
  11. Brook!

For me still Rodgers first. I think we have a great defense and great offensive skill players. With New York magic we might strike gold. Bills are good but after 2 dominant years they might take a step back. Pats will always be 7-9 to 9-7 team. Dolphins are good but with our defense and Rodgers we have a great shot to win the division. To me Carr is consolation prize. I like him a lot. And with him we will be super relevant next 6-7 years. But I don't see Jets winning a Superbowl with him unfortunately.

To me if Jets don’t have strong signals from Rodgers’ camp they should not wait for his drama and go after Carr hard

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for Rodgers. That said, I wonder what our coach wants? Let's not forget his personal relationship with Matt Lafleur. They're like, close friends not just buddies. If this morning's story on NBC Sports about how the Packers want to move on from Aaron Rodgers is true, this issues GB has with him had to involve his coach. Does Saleh want to inherit that? His own fate depends on this. It's fascinating.... For years all I've wanted was for our regular season to be as interesting as our offseason/ draft period. I thought I was getting that this season - before that losing streak, but here we are again.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Anyone know what day he emerges from solitary or is it all speculation? I was under the impression he went in on Thursday or Yesterday which puts him at Monday/Tuesday. I really like Rodgers, would also be happy with Carr, timing is going to be crucial with the Carr situation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I heard Aaron has 2 slots for food.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

one's for Jeopardy note cards

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. In addition Carr is already on record that he will be totally focused to give 100% of his energy, etc. to his new team. To me, Aaron Rodgers lately has been totally focused on...Aaron Rodgers.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Rodgers is a grade A jerk, but he’s got to be the play here.

I’m assuming the Ravens aren’t letting go of Lamar, and Rodgers is the only available QB that the Jets could make a realistic SB run with imo. He’s also the only one that makes the bizarre Hackett signing make sense.

In terms of comp, I think the Packers eat a lot of that guaranteed money paid out, which will help keep his cap hit similar to what Carr will get.
    Trade comp maybe a conditional 1st, largely in part due to the financials eaten.
    From Rodgers, would need a 2 year min playing commitment.

spend the cap money on a QB we could potentially win with while a lot of the young guys are still on cheap deals.
    I’d rather give the elite QB the elite money, and not an avg QB the elite money.
    Do I feel great about it? Not really. But this is the price we have to pay for mismanaging the QB situation so badly the last 4 years.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I can see Rodgers going to the Raiders to reunite with Adams.
    He could also potentially go to Tennessee, or even Miami with the right offer.

20. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Miami has Tua. They’re not going out and spending top dollar on another quarterback. That’s the place you probably see Minshew or Dalton go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.