Does adding A. Rodgers make the Jets a SB winner?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Feb 16, 2023.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I apologize if this question has already been asked. I'm not on this website every day. Regardless, I thought it deserved its own thread.

This is the question. There's no other reason why the Jets front office is actively pursuing AR. Woody Johnson certainly made it sound like AR is the last piece needed for the SB puzzle? Is that the conclusion you drew from his words? I know I did.

I saw a VERY good and shocking team in the 1st half of the season. They stunned many teams they were supposed to get humiliated by. Even the areas of the team that ultimately spelled their demise in 2022 were very good, very talented, very productive units in the 1st half of the season.

I think everyone would agree that OL was an enormous area of disappointment as the season progressed. Especially, when you consider earlier in the season, that same unit was gashing good teams in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

QB was an an abomination this season it was so bad. With that said, Zach and Joe were doing enough early in the season for the Jets to win games. As bad as Zach was, at one point the biggest bragging point for the Zach crowd was him being 5-1 with wins in GB and Denver and Buffalo at home.

So with all that said, do you believe adding AR puts the Jets in the SB in February of 2024?

From my standpoint, I'm not certain of that. I do know I love Woodys optimism. I love how brash he was when he spoke to the media. I think the Jets are DEFINITELY in the conversation as teams to potentially win the AFC. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets ultimately went to the SB. I think they are very talented. Much like 2009 and 2010, I think they are a potential championship team that's missing the QB. I do know they've got a to do something about the overall durability of the Jets team. I really don't know what that entails but the fact is the Jets has been gashed by injuries every year since about 2017. I can easily say if they don't get and stay healthy, I don't care who they add, if the injuries continue, they'll NEVER win a Superbowl.

What is your opinion? Do you think by adding AR and getting one more good draft that the Jets will be much better than any of the younger fans of this than base will even remember? Will they be super?

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I am of the opinion that such a gifted athlete as Alex Rodriguez probably could have been a remarkable football player had he started playing the game at a young age. I believe he is quite comfortable in his retirement and will never take the field for the NY Jets. Great ballplayer - there will only be one A-Rod!

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nope. He should make us a playoff team, but not a Super Bowl winner.

westiedog1 and JetFanInNE like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Adding Rodgers makes the Jets a lot better. No one can say it makes them a SB winner. Just look at GB as an example. It takes more than one guy.

That said, he definitely would make them a playoff team (assuming no major players go down.) I also think they could challenge for the division. But SB winner? That's a crapshoot.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The AFC is loaded. Rodgers makes them a playoff team, but I don't know about the Super Bowl. They still need to improve the OL. Just my guess but I think we end up with Mayfield or Jimmy G.

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

In my opinion you can add whoever you want and they won't make us a super bowl winner. Making the playoffs is what it's about then it's a combination of things that get you into the big game, luck, injuries, fluke plays, turnovers at bad times... Does AR guarantee us a SB? Of course not, does he get us in the dance and give us the best shot we have had in forever to get to the SB and a possibility of some home playoff games? Absolutely he does which is why I'm all in. Risk it for the biscuit.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Bingo. AR, Carr, or Lamar all give us a good shot at 10+ wins and get us into the playoffs.

After that, it's a crapshoot. Just get into the dance and let's see what happens.

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

We get a QB then it will be a three-way fight for the AFCE with only the Pats not in the mix.

NYJ1970 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Adding Aaron Rodgers is a big fat nothing burger until the Jets fix the o-line. They need to fix it in a way that it doesn't get blown out by mid-November again.

I'd be a huge pass on spending $100M on Aaron Rodgers. The question is whether Woody remembers Favre well enough to understand why you pass.

10. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

That's not answering the question. The thread says the Jets trade for AR and and have another good draft. And a good draft of course means fixing the OL. Joe Douglas is a former lineman and he prefers to build from the OL out. He'll also be trying to get guys that ate durable and stay injury free.

11. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

No. I think we'd go from 7 wins to 11 wins.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It certainly gives us a chance. Even the best QBs lead their teams to SB victory once or twice in their careers. Sure, chances are we won't win, but we want to increase our odds. Rodgers increases these odds - and I can certainly see a scenario where we make a similar run that TB did with Brady a few years back.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  13. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

It would make the Jets a super bowl contender for sure. Doesnt mean they would win it, but would 100% be a contender.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Every time I think about where the Jets are relative to the present bonafide contenders in the AFC, I just don't see one addition being the answer to our SB drought. Those other teams are strong across the board while the Jets aren't. While our D is good, our middle defense is old and slow and was attacked with a good amount of success. We really don't have much besides Reed and Gardner in the secondary so our safeties are at best, serviceable. No need to rehash the OL issues so I won't waste any time doing that. If we have a choice between the shiny new car or fixing the house? I say fix the house.. Plug the holes first.

Br4d, RPOZ51, NY Jets68 and 6 others like this.
  15. bicketybam

Until Favre got injured he was working out perfectly.

Borat, Acad23 and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

This is the smart thing to do. Rodgers would make the Jets a contender, but at what cost as the Jets will probably have to give GB a first round pick at least. Try to sign Carr, Jimmy G, or even Mayfield and keep the picks to keep "fixing the house" might be the better play here. Any of those 3 would also be an upgrade over what we have now.

17. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He gets them closer but no. They still need help on the OL, some linebacker depth, maybe another WR and safety

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is going to be a notable roster turnover so we don't even know for sure what our team has next season. Add that to the holes we already have and its desperately stupid to be putting a lot of eggs into an aging QB who is a me guy. I'm not even convinced it would improve our record. IMO Rodgers carries a 50/50 chance of maybe sneaking into a wildcard, or blowing up the locker room.

Br4d and JetFanInNE like this.
  19. bicketybam

Who are we losing in the notable roster turnover?

KingRoach likes this.
  20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

IIRC, JD's goal was to build a team, capable of consistently winning over years.
    I'm all-in on that.
    Obviously, Zach's failure to develop throws a big wrench in that plan.
    So, the question to me is, does acquiring AR help (or hurt) the building of a consistent winner?
    With the need to fix the OL, & strengthen a few positions, giving up draft capital hurts the team as a whole.
    Are they close to being serious contenders?
    To me, whoever is QB, they're still a year away from being contenders, provided the CS shows growth this coming season.
    I'm in the keep draft picks camp, so unless draft picks would get us a Lamar type QB (ie: on the younger side), I wouldn't use picks on a quick-fix QB like AR.
    So, no, I don't think AR would make the Jets a SB contender, let alone winner.
    Acquiring AR smells of SOJ to me, & would likely end the consistent winner plan, unless the team KNOWS
    Zach will get his head on straight, & in 1-2 years be ready to take over as their FQB.
    Obviously, a huge gamble, & not a dependable option.