Derek Carr released by Raiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Literally Zach Wilson. He was bottom 5 as a rookie, and the board was unanimous in not wanting to move on from him. Pull that with other teams, and you'll get a different picture. They won't wait for multiple bottom 5 years to want you gone, they'll turn on you after one year like that, even if you are a rookie. And now after two years of bottom 5 QB play, there are still some fans who want to keep him. There would be zero fans of another team who would go along with more Zach Wilson.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The Jets are obviously going to talk to Derek Carr. It would be smart for Carr to talk to multiple teams, instead of just jumping Into a marriage with one team right out of the gate. We do have a lot of reasons for Carr to come here, we also have many reasons not to. If JD and Saleh have a very good sales pitch, I'm guessing Carr will want to sign here.

What I'm worried about though Is DC trying to use us as leverage to get the most bang for his buck with his new contract. It's a possibility. Kirk Cousins had no problems doing that very thing to us.

The more I think about It, the more It makes sense to sign Carr. I'm not overly excited about It but I don't completely hate It either.

I suppose we shall see what happens here. I'm betting Carr as of now though, as the guy we are going to try to reel In.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wilson has not even played two full season worth of games and there were a lot of fans calling for his head after game 1. Darnold got 3 years not exactly a lot. The fans on this board were calling for Sanchez's head after two seasons going to the AFC championship game.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nah, some of us never even wanted him to walk through the front door.

5. HomeoftheJets

Well almost unanimous and a lot more friendly to him than another fanbase would be after that rookie season.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A few posters wanting to keep Wilson as a developmental player after 2 years doesn't mean that the vast majority werei done with him after one year, let alone two. I'm sorry but that rationale is really bad. And it is full of hyperbole and fantasy.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whether the fans were right isn't the point. How much did the fan/media criticism become a "self fulfilling prophecy"?

NY is probably the hardest place to play. Sure, other teams have rabid and critical fans, but nowhere else - even in LA - are there as many media outlets. As I said, even players who were great elsewhere have failed here. So the intensity of scrutiny is a real "thing", and can impact performance.

bicketybam likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's not just the Jets either. It's NY sports in general. There are players that just refuse to play here, whethers is baseball, football, or basketball. I think hockey is the exception.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I said that in my original comment on this - it's a problem across all sports in NY.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay with Bowles at the helm? Holy shit...

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I honestly think that is a bit more the logistics of living in the city or outer boroughs at this point. Imagine having to get to the garden every day from Forest Hills?

I think it’s relatively exaggerated. It’s more difficult to play in to an extent but as far as the NFL is concerned it’s covered nationally and has no competition for media coverage. Every market barring Buffalo and Green Bay are flooded with news outlets and talked about relentlessly on FS1 and ESPN and such.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Carr is younger, doesn't thrive on attention like Rodgers, and comes with no draft compensation. The only thing stupider than Douglas turning down a king's ransom for Zach Wilson's draft slot (which he did), would be to fork over multiple high draft picks for a media vulture like Rodgers who can't seem to make up his mind whether to play football again. Even if Rodgers plays for the jets or wherever in 2023, count on him pulling this "beg me to play" act again in 2024.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Being negative on Carr probably means you haven't seen him play.

I'm pro Derek Carr... but Aaron Rodgers on the Jets is intriguing to say the least.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Philly is just as bad if not worse

16. ColoradoContrails

Almost, but they don't have as much media coverage as NY. But they are pretty tough there.

17. HomeoftheJets

What you're describing is mostly a Yankees thing, not a New York thing. The Jets do have a lot of media, but other than that, Jets fans are nothing like Yankees fans.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I believe in his almost a decade of football starting almost every game he has only beat a playoff team 14 times. He is the definition of a mid QB, going to be waay overpaid for his services and what he is as a player unfortunately.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Philly is just as bad but the media damage is confined to Philly because who the hell else cares about Philly?

Being bad in NYC is national exposure.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’ve said this a couple times about Carr and while his passer rating drops in December, I think when guys live in warm weather climates and go to freezing places it’s a massive adjustment. Versus a guy who is living in the same cold temperatures all day, week, month and year.

Imagine going from Vegas 5/6 days in 85 degree dry heat and then arriving in Pittsburgh for 36 hours to play in a 6 degree game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.