Derek Carr released by Raiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Carr has been my QB preference all along. Not gonna lie, if they get AR, cool, but I don't want AR over Carr. And if it comes down to NO or the Jets, IF the money is equal, the Jets are most definitely an enticing team with the current roster on both sides of the ball...

2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Carr has no need to rush this and he can find a place to fit himself without any team sending the raiders anything.

Good for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a few weeks before he signs. As a FA he will have no illegal tampering period and only really has A Rod in his way between now and the draft. (Jimmy G is below him imo and Lamar will be going on all off season).

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like him or Jimmy G. over Rodgers because 1) they seem more committed to football in general and 2) no draft compensation now.

I watched the raiders twice last year on nfl sunday ticket and was actually somewhat impressed by Carr. He really keeps his eyes downfield when in the pocket unlike Zach who quickly looks for an escape.

papapump, SOJAZ, Acad23 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is why I think Woody wants Rodgers. He's going to have to pony up $100M for either of them but with Rodgers he can squint and feel like he's maybe getting his money's worth.

We all hate on Woody a fair amount but it is important to note that he's spent a lot of money on talent over the last decade and he keeps getting disappointed by the results. He's gotta be very leery of the big deals right now and that would push him towards getting the best possible player for his buck.

Carr is maybe better long-term but he's half the QB that Aaron Rodgers is unless Rodgers steps down again this season. In that case they're about equal.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We might have a lower ceiling with him than Rodgers, but he was in a similar situation in Oakland/Vegas as Stafford was in Detroit. The pass game coordinator has worked with him before FWIW.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I really would like to see what this team looks like with Carr under center. The offense has some serious weapons and Carr has a gun on him. And he is still hungry for a championship.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Raiders reportedly are releasing Derek Carr tomorrow. C'mon Joe D. Make it Happen.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I’m really not a fan of the idea of waiting out Rodgers. At least not when you consider the other options. If we pass on Carr and Rodgers decides to retire or goes to another team, we’re probably screwed. The options that will likely be available at that point are underwhelming at best. Get after the best available quarterback, don’t play games we don’t have great odds of winning!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Going after the QB that led the league in INTs scares me but i'd rather sign a FA then give up assets in a trade.

Br4d likes this.
  10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Can't wait to pay 40 mill a year for a JAG because Rodgers decided to lock himself in a f'n cave. We could be the next Dallas Cowboys, yay. Hopefully Carr really likes the saints.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I prefer Rodgers too Nova, but if we miss out on Carr due to Rodgers holding teams hostage I will be upset

JetFanInNE likes this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I get it Brook, I do. Just hoping we have time to find out.

Brook! likes this.
  13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Carr is the last guy I want to see on the Jets.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Carr has been the poster boy of mediocrity. Nothing he has ever done results in a winning environment. He throws for 3500 yds 25 TD’s and 12 picks every year. While that may seem great compared to what we’ve had, overall it sucks. And Carr is gonna want a contract that makes us stuck with him for years. Yes he’s better than what we’ve had, but he’s not very good at all.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's an odd definition of mediocrity when applied to a guy who has started 142 games, missing only four since he came to the NFL at the age of 23, while completing 64.6% of his passes for an average of over seven yards per attempt and throwing 217 TDs against 99 interceptions. The Jets haven't seen such mediocrity in decades, and it's a team game. I'll take it for five or six years; a decent offensive line might be a help, though.

Borat, papapump, NY Jets68 and 7 others like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It's almost as if Cimini is on these boards o_O

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem, it is. Carr is a vast improvement over what we've had. Way younger and much less of a media whore than Rodgers. Can make every throw. He's exactly what this team needs. A strong armed QB in his prime with something to prove. He also won't cost this team hugely valuable draft picks like Rodgers would. No way in hell I'm giving up a 1st and 2nd rounder for Rodgers for a 1 or 2 year rental at most.

Ralebird, Acad23, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Did you feel the same way about Stafford?

Carr has had the most coaches and coordinators in the league since he began his career (I believe it’s league history over that time frame), along with the statistically worst defense in his 8 years.

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Despite all the adversity Stafford continuously put up incredible numbers. Stafford and Carr are not even in the same stratosphere. Stafford is a borderline HoF player. That’s a terrible comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.