Derek Carr released by Raiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It should be easy to land Carr. The leading contender is New Orleans allegedly? Also 7-10 but they are an aging team, 55 Mil over the cap. They have to cut a bunch of guys and then convince Carr that they did not hurt the team by cutting all those guys.

The Jets can point to young talent they have and just ask him if he wants to join up with that. A simple pitch and contract negotiation. No wine and dining, no cheesy overselling of what NY brings, etc.

papapump and RochesterJet like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not sure if NO is the leading contender, they were just the only team that agreed in principle to a trade with the Raiders which is why the Raiders let Carr meet with them.

I have a feeling that meeting for Carr was more to get a feel for what his market would look like once he hits FA than anything else.

IMO this Carr situation will be resolved very quickly, wouldn't surprise me at all if we knew where Carr is playing next year before the weekend.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes somewhere in the NFC South.

That division is wide open right now and you have a much better shot at going deep in the playoffs where you only have to compete against Hurts, Cousins, Dak, and Kyler as opposed to the all the great QBs in the AFC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Carolina is a far better option for Carr than NO. Unfortunately we probably won’t have an ARod resolution before Carr makes a decision so we’re likely out.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I seriously hope JD at least gives Carr’s camp a call when he’s released. If Carr’s not interested, so be it, but they’ve gotta do their due diligence and make sure that’s the case before moving on to Rodgers.

We’re not in a position to be held hostage by anyone, let alone a 39 year old QB with a couple years left.

papapump, Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Only 40 mil guaranteed though if he is not waived by the 15th, not the full amount. I am positive he will get more than that in FA market.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I understand why Woody is insistent on Rodgers. Look around the AFC and you see nothing but young FQB's making their teams better. Burrows, Herbert, Allen, Mahomes. Woody wants his QB up in lights too. Carr is the best option right now for a stable QB position not being held hostage to whims every offseason. Give Carr 4years at $10-15m per and Zach will just have to either live with it, or move on once his rookie deal is up.

LAJet, SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

You will probably have to triple that number unfortunately, I don't see car going for under 35per. He is going to be grossly overpaid for his services because of all the QB needy teams. Happens every year.

papapump, Ralebird, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

10 or 15 AAV? That puts him right next to jameis winston. Danny Dimes is going to get 30+ a year and Carr is better than him. The going rate for a starting QB in the league starts with 30 million a year. It is why hitting on that rookie is so important.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I do too. Rodgers might be the best QB that's available this offseason, it's definitely between him or Lamar (if those negotiations fall apart).

I think you're underestimating Carr's market though. I honestly don't see him making less than 30M a year and it's probably going to be closer to 35M+ a year over 2-4 years. Which would put him somewhere between 9-13 in terms of AAV for QBs as of now (this will correct itself over the next year or two once guys like Lamar, Burrow, etc. sign new deals).

I think he's somewhere around that top 10 area, probably just on the outside (top 12-15ish), so that contract makes sense to me. If we can get him for less than that? It's an absolute no-brainer IMO.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. Cman68

At those prices, Carr won't be a Jet that's for sure.. Must have been my 2020 brain kicking in again... :)

12. Cman68

What are we working with cap wise? Can we afford Carr and QW?

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Carr is slotted to make $33 mil next season with the Raiders. If he felt he couldn't get that somewhere else he would be open to a trade. I agree with you...10-15 mil AAV is not even a dream. It's a hallucination. Carr is going to get over 30 per year.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Here is the 2023 cap for the Jets --> https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

Think it's safe to assume Corey Davis, Lawson, Berrios are all gone which puts them at $30m under. Then you get to guys like Jordan Whitehead, Ashytn Davis, and Duane Brown (pending retirement) and you can add another $13ish million. There are plenty of moves to be made to get under the cap. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but there are ways to make it so the cap hit is small and a lot of it is signing bonus. Someone else can probably be more exact when it gets to the exact cap hits, but there is absolutely a way to afford Carr/Rodgers, QW, and maybe even a safety.

Nyjets4eva, Cman68, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not worried about the cap…teams ALWAYS find ways to manage it.

personally I’d prefer to keep Lawson and even Davis and just renegotiate their deals. On DL, we have numbers but no real star edge players…Lawson is probably our best and he’ll probably be better two years removed from his Achilles…I’d look to restructure him. Davis I’ve been plenty pissed with as I think he drops too many balls but outside of GW he’s really the only other guy we have…Moore has been more potential than production and until he actually proves otherwise he’s like a #3 guy right now…I agree he’s got better talent than that but he hasn’t developed into more than that yet…Mims even less. If we don’t keep Davis then we need to draft another WR or sign a free agent.

but I’d rather restructure and keep than outright cut.

Borat likes this.
  16. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The most intriguing part of getting Carr, is that the Jets wouldn't give anything up. All 3 qbs (Carr, Rogers, and Lamar) will get paid a ton. While Carr is the weakest of the three, having Carr and keeping 2 firsts might be a better outcome for the Jets.

papapump, Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. NOVAJET

If it was 2 1s I would agree and it probably will be atleast that for Lamar and a boatload more money which is why I'm out on him. Rodgers for a 2 and a conditional pick in 2024 based on him playing is a no brainer IMO.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

There’s an interesting tidbit about Carr in Breer’s MMQB article today.

“The chances of that happening were always slim, and they’re basically none now. So my guess is the Raiders will cut Carr, maybe Monday, maybe Tuesday, and the Saints and Jets (the only other team to inquire with the Raiders on him) will look into signing him later in the week.”

Seems like the Jets did their due diligence on Carr prior to his visit with NO. I fully expect them to bring him into the facility at some point this week and make him an offer.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I am leaning this way myself. For that reason, I am leaning towards Tannehill for a few years.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. NOVAJET

I still think Carr is a backup plan, maybe not even that. Hopefully Rodgers has already made his decision behind the scenes and we already know something.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.