Jets hire former Titans OC Todd Downing as passing game coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Feb 13, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Best known for his tenure-ending DUI. I have felt from day one that we were going to end up with either Jacoby Brissett or Ryan Tannehill and this does nothing to calm those fears.

on the plus side, it seems like we are trying to assemble a staff that was the polar opposite of last year. We are hiring guys with a lot of experience.

PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He has ties to Carr as well.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He has worked with Carr but ran a putrid pass offense in Tennessee and apparently wasn't well liked in Oakland either. Not sure how much I like this one, hopefully Rodgers is calling his own plays.

Fiftynine likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He looks like a dickhead.

IIMeanDeanII, abyzmul and Acad23 like this.
  5. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The jets are not starting off the off-season well, imo. Hiring Hackett, now this guy (his passing games sucked wherever he was) and potentially ending up with gross quarterbacks like Carr, tannehill or brissett.

Jets need Rodgers, Lamar or a first round QB imo. Anything beside that is a waste of a year on these rookie contracts that this young and talented core has. Put your cajones on the table and get a damn qb, not a waste of time retread.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

7. BroadwayAaron

Really not a fan of this hiring for football and just straight up human reasons but there’s a little too much panic because we hired Hackett and this guy. Hackett failed as a head coach but has had success as an OC. Downing was a bad OC but isn’t going to be asked to fulfill those same responsibilities here. Trust me I get the apprehension because I have it as well but I can’t get into too much of a downward spiral over it

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good reasonable assessment. I was going to make the same point.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He only got the job because of his relationship to Hackett. And Hackett only got the job because of his relationship with Saleh.

Neither guy has been good at their jobs, its just a good ole boy thing where you return a favor so a guy can get a year's salary after a firing

Unhappyjetsfan and Brook! like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Given his work with Tannehill and Carr, this might indicate the direction the Jets are leaning for QB. I do think they're still "all in" on Rodgers, and if that miraculously happens, it's not like Aaron needs any coaching help so it's pretty much a moot point for him. But the other two it might benefit having some familiarity with their skills and abilities.

The DUI arrest and conviction is troubling though. Most people don't get DUIs by "mistake" or "bad luck", they usually get them after driving under the influence more than a few times and they finally get caught, as such it's an indicator of a more persistent problem with alcohol. I'm NOT saying he has a problem, or that he's an alcoholic, or that this wasn't just a "one off", but it's troubling IMO. I hope he's taking measures to ensure this never happens again, for his own sake, as well as for ours now that he's PGC.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

At this point it reads as you trying to convince yourself because you know no one else is listening.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Personally I’m not a fan of rushing to hire guys that no one else was rushing to hire…that was how we got Gase and Kotite and the like

I am not a fan of either the Hackett hire or this hire…but we’ll see how it turns out…these hires may work or they may get Saleh fired…feels like 50/50 to me sad to say

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Jets ask permission to trade for Rogers... reported today.

14. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, Brook made a thread about this yesterday.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like the experience aspect of both offensive hires so far. Hackett was a Head Coach, now is the Jets OC. Downing was an OC, now Jets passing game coordinator. Those are both positives to me. People are pointing out they weren't great in those bigger roles, but it is still good experience and should help them with their jobs with the Jets even more.

As for QB, clearly the Jets want Rodgers, Carr or Garoppolo. Tannehill will be an emergency option if they flop with the other 3 (which they could).

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well their former employers were pretty convinced. since they fired them

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The first thing that occurred to me, when I read about his DUI... didn't Miles Austin just get fired for gambling?
    It's like the team needs to have a questionable character, as coach, somewhere on the team.
    My main concern is that this may be it, as far as hiring O coaches.
    Hopefully, Hackett's intro presser will be this week, & we'll get a sense of where the O is going.
    Lastly, if Zach is going to be on the team, I don't want to see the name Calabrese, next to QB coach.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is Adam Gase all over again. Go with experience but of the worst kind because nobody wants to take the job.

sozopol and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

This hire will not have me downing any cold ones tonight in celebration. This guy and Hackett during the press conference (if there is one) should have to show each snap of the Chiefs second half possessions and explain why they were able to create the matches they wanted and move the ball with relative ease.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now all we need is Lamar Jackson's favorite equipment guy and we have the full set.