Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Of course, that is your opinion.
    But others have a different opinion, based on facts.
    After Knapp died, the organization did not replace him.
    MLF & Calabrese had no experience developing QBs, nor any experience in their positions.
    Calabrese had 2 yrs of NFL experience, as a Quality Control coach.
    After Zach's injury last season, he returned & showed some progress. Both Cavanaugh & Beck were not retained at the end of said season.
    The progress didn't continue under MLF, & the QC coach, in '22.

If you've ever played organized team sports, you must know that good coaching is gold, especially with young raw talent.
    What the Jets did with Zach, was a blueprint for failure.
    A defensive HC, an inexperienced OC, & an unqualified QB coach.
    At least, Knapp was hired to help with Zach & the offense.
    But when he died, the development of Zach became an organizational mess... just like the unclear QB rotation, after Zach was demoted, distracted the players. #3 becomes #2, & #4 becomes #3. Then the following week,
    #4 becomes #2... etc.
    And now, let's trade valuable assets for a shot at destroying, the first real infusion of serious talent, in eons.
    But I digress...

RochesterJet likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct, that is my opinion and it's an opinion that is supported by the evidence of having four people on hand to support the development of Wilson - you claimed they did not support him. You are wrong in saying Knapp was not replaced. When Knapp died is when Cavanaugh and Beck were added as coaches. Was it enough? Who knows?

What so many here find convenient to ignore is that there is no evidence that Knapp would have been able to extract from Wilson anything that everyone else was unable to. We don't know why Beck and Cavanaugh are no longer involved and we don't know at all how well Wilson received coaching - it's not something that can be forced on a player. We could argue until his contract runs out about the "progress" you believe Wilson showed - I didn't see it reflected on the field or the stats, all I saw was a more limited game plan in an attempt to reduce errors.

And yes, you digress; what are those valuable assets you're talking about trading away? What are you talking about destroying?

Jets79 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The hiring of John Beck to the staff was complete bullshit.

Imagine Ty Conklin saying "the TE coach sucks, and we should be hiring my friend or my high school coach" and the Jets actually bending over to make that happen for him.

---

No more coddling young QBs. no more coddling Zach Wilson. If he wants to be good, he will work harder to get there.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you're reputation as a GM greatly depended on your 2nd overall draft selection being successful or a colossal blunder, you'd bend over backwards to make it happen too. JD is married to Zwilson for better or worse. If Zwilson goes down, chances are pretty good JD will either go with him or not far behind without divine intervention.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

You would think but Wilson has already crashed and burned and Douglas was able to blame it on the offensive coordinator

6. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Great point that I haven't seen made on here yet.
    You can't put zach being an all time bust on Knapp dieing. Maybe if he was below average, or just competent, you could blame the Jets for not getting everything from him that they could have, but not being as bad as he has been. That is on him and him only.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

There is no end to the excuses made by a few…despite all the evidence from the eye test to cold hard stats to QBR to QB rating….whatever hard evidence you want to look at … it’s all bottom of the league territory. All of them.

Yet still we are called “Zach Haters” and get accused of cherry picking stats to make him look bad when that’s not the case at all…no cherry picking required.

then we get the excuses…last year it was drops and bad OL and throwaways and then this year nothing changed despite an increase in playmakers at RB, TE and WR. So now the excuse of the day is coaching and support.

and look, coaching matters for sure…we did have bad OL play both years, but the dude has showed NOTHING. Like at all.
    He has not improved at all. I get the raw arm talent and athleticism, but that is not nearly enough to play QB well in this league. There have been plenty of strong armed QBs who flat out sucked. Kyle Boller. Jeff George. Ryan Leaf. All of whom were as physically talented as Zach, and all of whom sucked.

I don’t get the continued defense when the most likely outcome is he is just a bust. Not the first. Won’t be the last.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If that was true, it would be easy for me to move on. It's not though. He has shown he has big play ability. A rocket arm to get the ball where it needs to be, pretty good mobility, and a great competitive spirit/will to succeed. All that can add up to a franchise QB if he could just do the easy things. He got way into his head in 2022 over it all. Sometimes that is not fixable, but other times it is. He should improve, the problem is he did not last year. He regressed. He also got injured in both of his seasons as a Jet. So it is a difficult situation. Certainly not one you can risk your whole team's success on, which is why the Jets are looking for a veteran right now.

I like the approach of giving Zach a year to learn on the bench and try to fix things in 2023. If it doesn't happen, that is life. I could see him benefitting from it though.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

It don’t matter how strong Wilson’s arm is*, he will struggle in poor weather because he can’t complete the short passes.

look at the best poor weather QB in the game, Brady, weak arm but the affects of wind/rain were mitigated with a bunch of effective short passes.

That’s the same reason Trevor Lawrence dominated Wilson in the monsoon conditions in December. And why Josh Allen often loses in bad weather despite the strongest arm in the game.

*I think the strength of Wilson’s arm is overstated anyway

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. Cman68

JD can't walk away from Zach without admitting he fckd up the 2nd overall pick. Zach will be given as much time if JD and Saleh have jobs with the Jets or Zach's rookie deal times out whichever comes first. Everything they've done has been towards salvaging Zach Wilson. From all the effort to sign Zach's idol to hiring a failed HC who is a huge Aaron Rodgers fan. Its all been about Zach Wilson. Everything else has been a great example of gaslighting by the FO/CS. This is what desperate, bottom feeding franchises do.

This is the hill JD has decided to die on. So be it. They could just spare us all the bullshit drama in the meantime though.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let's start with: What's the difference between an excuse and a reasonable explanation? POV. Personal opinion. Not fact. No matter how stridently, or what level of invective, or insult people use, it doesn't = fact.

"Cherry picking stats" means, you're not including ALL of the stats, even the ones that show Zach had improvement.

On to "an increase in playmakers". Yes there were, but they too were young guys learning how to play, and some did better others - GW showed himself to be a true superstar in the making, as did Breece before he got hurt; EM regressed; Mims improved slightly; TEs were average at best. How exactly did that "transform the offense? Meanwhile, MLF continued trying to make square pegs fit into round holes. And finally - perhaps most impactful - the OL continued to be poor. And it's not like this affected only ZW, it affected all the QBs who played, and resulted in their offense virtually shutting down at the end of the season, proof that this isn't a "Zach Wilson excuse".

Yes indeed, coaching matters. That's why the good ones win championships despite suffering many of the same things other coaches do, but the good ones learn ways to overcome it all. The Jets have not had truly good coaching since Parcells (and even he wasn't at his best by then, but still better than what had come before). And no surprise, they haven't had good ownership since Werblin. How else to explain their consistent failure to find and develop good GMs, and CSs, which in turn prevent them from finding and developing FQBs? They rely instead on "dart throwing" to solve this failure: throw a dart at a QB and with great fanfare announce that he's the ONE, and then three years later toss him aside and thrown the next dart. Good teams don't do that. Good teams put time and resources into finding the best QB they can and then an equal or greater amount of resources into ensuring that he succeeds because they KNOW the dart they threw hit the right QB.

IDK if Zach Wilson can succeed, but I believe he has much more talent than the failures you cited, and with the right coaching and system can become a good starting QB, perhaps even great. But that potential isn't just dependent on him, it's dependent on whether the Jets do something they haven't done since Namath: pay attention to the QB position and what it takes to succeed. If you haven't already, watch the vid clip interview of Terry Bradshaw being asked about Zach and what advice he'd give him. He said Zach needs to go inside himself and find that inner toughness that refuse to quit and gives him the resolve to prove everyone wrong. And what was most insightful to me was that he pointed to his own failures and being jerked up and down, but eventually he succeeded. Why was that "insightful"? Because not only did Bradshaw not give up on himself, the Steelers didn't either. And as a related note, despite Flacco's inconsistencies, the Ravens never gave up on him either.

Maybe the Jets are ready to pull the plug on Zach and are just waiting for the right trading partner, but I doubt it. Despite your's, and all the other Zach doubters (better?) opinion, Zach has provide evidence that he can be really good. Will it happen? Will it happen with the Jets? IDK, but it would be so SOJ for them to simply throw the next dart and then watch another round of failure while Wilson goes somewhere else and has success.

burf likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

What drama? I think all the "bullshit drama" is coming from the fans.

bicketybam and burf like this.
  13. Cman68

The drama is coming from Diva Rodgers and the Jet FO's obsession with obtaining him. This is all about your hero Zach Wilson. Call it what it is please..

14. ColoradoContrails

Rodgers, okay, but AFAIK the Jets FO hasn't said anything about Rodgers or anyone else. Not trying to defend them, but let's aim the anger where it actually belongs: on the media and success-starved fans.

15. Cman68

Oh come now.. You can't possibly think the Jet FO isn't into this too? Its keeping the Jets relevant and talking about Rodgers instead of "the streak". They could just go after Jimmy Glass and be done. There's no excitement there though.

16. The Dark Knight

I don't know about that. If Joe Douglas was willing to die on that hill, he would have just named Zach Wilson the starting QB in 2023 and signed a solid back-up. I think benching him in 2022, and now admittedly looking for a veteran QB shows that JD does not want to die on the Zach Wilson hill. At the same time (and I agree) now is not the time to give up on Zach Wilson either.

And if you miss on the 2nd overall pick, everyone knows. You don't need to admit it. The Jets DID miss, by the way. Even a big Zach Wilson supporter like myself can easily see he has been a huge let down. The #2 overall pick is supposed to carry your franchise to success. Zach has not been able to come close as of now. I am more patient than most fans, especially at QB, but he is definitely in a bad spot at the moment as far as being a success goes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Last offseason they threw a parade over missing out on Tyreek Hill so I think its possible we end up with Jimmy G and they celebrate that they at least inquired about Rodgers

Cman68 likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I find it mind blowing that they had Calabrese, with literally zero QB experience never mind at the NFL level as the guiding light to help develop a rookieQB with so many areas of need. Is like MLF did not want to build his CS with savvy vets because he might have felt challenged by their body of work. Calabrese was massively over his head, as was MLF, smart as a whip, but he absolutely needed some senior oversight just to help him deal with his lack of experience. Letting go of Beck was stupid as hell.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Cman68

You are neglecting the PR effect here TDK. JD knows full well that he cannot name ZW the starter. If he did that? The roster would revolt and the Media/Fanbase would be savage in its critique of the move. Woody has to sell tickets and that pressure is acute now especially with the Giants on the rise. The only way to get ZW back on the field is to look for the veteran QB like he said. That veteran QB will only be a bridge though. They have stated repeatedly they want to develop ZW. Jimmy G would provide the perfect cover. They know he won't last an entire year and if they make ZW QB2, he has to play when Jimmy G has his annual catastrophic injury.

The Jets FO missed on the pick. JD knows that and he also knows Woody probably is wondering what he's getting for his $35M. JD has a lot on the line with ZW. Indirectly, so does Saleh. Yes TDK, ZW is the hill JD has chosen to die on. As a test, lets see what happens once FA begins. No real effort has been made to go after Carr who would want more than 2 years. Carr would mean ZW is over here. Rodgers is ZW's idol and the sole reason why Hackett was hired as OC. Rodgers decides to stay on sabbatical or return to GB, then what? Factor in Saleh's heart is still in Frisco and I give you... Jimmy Glass.

Best case scenario: Rodgers plays 2 years and Zach comes in and plays up to his draft slot. Worst: Rodgers doesn't come to NY and the Jets miss out on all the top tier QB talent because... You already know the answer. You also know Woody would have no choice other than to blow it up and start over.

These are very dangerous days my friend..

#499 Cman68, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

Well, when you say it like that.......... 2023 will definitely change the franchise. Either finally headed in the right direction, or right back to square one.