2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

There is only one path to Zach Wilson becoming a viable starting option for the Jets. The FA we bring in has to get injured AND Zach needs to come in transformed as an entirely different QB and lead us to the playoffs. It’s literally the only way Zach has any future on this team. If said FA QB comes here and flops then the entire staff and FO are going to be fired, thus ending Zach’s future here. If said FA QB delivers a playoff run then he’ll be the starter for 2024, at which point Zach’s contract will be up and he’ll be gone anyway. We mismanaged the QB position by drafting Zach in the first place IMO, but without a doubt they fucked it totally by starting him. If we’re going to develop a young guy behind a vet, then that young guy should be drafted this year to sit and learn behind the veteran we sign, so in 2 years the young guy should be ready AND still be under contract for at least 2 more years.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

And that's great. That's what we need.

That lends itself well to Carr who plays very controlled and scripted, almost robotic at times

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The value in keeping Zach on the roster is more PR than ability as JD has a lot invested in his 2nd rd. pick. To admit they entirely fckd it up from draft day until now is a stinging indictment of Failure by the Organization to develop him. Definetly cancels out JD's 2nd draft which IMO, kept his seat cool but not forever. Not that there's a market for Zwilson at the moment anyway as he's sunk to Johnny Manziel levels. There is no other reason to even entertain Jimmy Glass as a alternative except to bank on his annual season ending surgery and Zwilson gets back on the field by default. They also know if Zwilson bombs again, Woody will blow it up and start over as he really won't have many other options. Zwilson is here until either his rookie deal runs out OR the idiots who drafted him walk the plank.

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Rodgers/Carr are the two options that would get me legitimate excited going into next season. Mike White can be the backup, and they can draft a rookie in the 3rd or 4th to sit and develop for the next couple years.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That 4-1 record with Garoppolo will be fun until we go 4-8 with the backup.

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I can only see this happening if Wilson is traded for some sort of compensation. Just two years ago they thought he was going to be the QB who could lead this team to future, why throw him away for a 5th round pick? They're just better off keeping him on the roster and trying to develop him than give him away for a late day 3 pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

My thinking was that, Rodgers or Carr are almost certainly going to be QB for the next two seasons. The Jets are going to need to make a decision on Zach's fifth year option. I don't see them exercising his fifth year after he's basically been horrible for two years and then benched for two years.

The question then becomes, is Zach a legitimate backup. If you don't think he's a legitimate backup, then is there really any point in keeping him around?

This all hinges on how the front office truly feels about Zach. Personally, I'd be fine trading him for a fifth. But like you said, this front office thought he could be the future just two short years ago, so who really knows.

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Because time has run out on developing him. He’s going to sit this coming season at the very least behind whatever Vet we bring in. If that vet succeeds at getting us to the playoffs then obviously he’ll be the starter in 2024. If that vet fails then the coaching staff and FO are likely gonna get canned, which means a new staff is coming in and they’ll want their own guy. For better or worse we mismanaged the entire Zach debacle, but his time and use here is over.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. dawinner127

I just can't see us getting Carr/Rodgers, signing Mike White to what, $7 million to be a backup, then draft another rookie, and keep zach. However, I'm all for drafting someone to sit behind Rodgers/Carr. Maybe the kid from Tennessee who got hurt this past year.

They're better off letting him sit on the roster and develop this year. Maybe show something in the preseason and increase his value the following year to maybe a late 3? They are financially stuck to him though in regards to cutting him in '23 and '24 and just throwing him away for a 5th isn't worth it when like I said, two years ago they thought he was going to be the guy. His value is at an all time low right now, a good '23 preseason and maybe it increases his value, who knows, but throwing him away for nothing is a bad play. We are already financially stuck to him so just let him sit on the bench as QB3 and develop or not develop, it doesn't really matter.

Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ok, and that’s a fair statement except we’ll be paying whatever vet starts for us likely 40-50m a year. A backup roughly 8-10m, and Zach is making almost 10m. 60m+ for our QB’s alone. What players are we cutting to pay Zach 10m to do Chris Streveler’s job?

11. dawinner127

I wouldn't sign a backup for 8-10 million. I think they should draft Hendon Hooker or Max Duggan (I think he might go to high now after his CFP hype) would be fine to sit behind Rodgers or Carr.

EDIT -

Guys like Dalton, Brissett, Darnold, Baker are only going to make 5-6m a year, not 8-10.

12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, this list is more accurate. :)

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's important to remember that the process this year is not necessarily to get a high-end QB. The process may well be just to ensure competent QB play after 6 seasons of poor QB play. This team would have made the playoffs with a competent QB this season.

Ralebird and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets need to hit on Rodgers, Carr or Garoppolo though, because otherwise they will be linked to Brady coming out of retirement for 6 months and that will be very annoying.

Br4d likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brady retired because he's afraid to try to win with the Jets. what a pussy

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What?!

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Rodgers and Carr want to play for the Jets.

That's a problem...

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I doubt Carr does.... but I can see Rodgers being attracted to the bright lights / big city.... and after getting beaten up by the JETS D, may think there's potential for a decent team.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rodgers seems to be like he'd enjoy being entertained by Arab royalty and all that comes with Vegas just as much as he'd like NY, especially since he'd actually live in Vegas.