Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mentor and Aaron Rodgers are a contradiction in terms. He's probably the most self-centered QB in recent NFL history.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Boy blunder is done here, there’s no path to bringing him back whether it’s Carr or Rogers. In 2 years Zach will be gone, if not sooner. Rogers is a 2 time recent MVP, he’s being brought here to be that or close to it. As for Carr, we have every idea of what shot we have with him, because it’s no shot just like it has been in his near 10 year career. He’s a 3500 yd 25 TD 10-15 INT quarterback. Outside of one season it’s what he’s always been. That doesn’t win super bowls, it gives us 6 years of a declining vet that we’ll be begging to get away from when the contracts of our youth start coming up for renewal and we struggle to re-sign them because Carr is counting 50m against the cap. Who cares about Carr in bad weather, he’s not very good in great weather.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

A QB that throws for 3500 yards and 25 TD’s 10-15 INT’s at a premium cost of 40-50m a year is exactly what this team needs? Really? That awful contract may not cost us draft picks, but you bet your ass it’ll cost us draft capital because we’re going to be losing players that we can’t sign because nearly a quarter of our cap is invested into Mr Mediocre. Outside of one season Carr has been as pedestrian as it gets. Rogers gives us a shot to go for it now, and when he bolts or retires so what? We need to draft our future QB. Rogers gives us that chance because in 2 years he’ll be off the books, right in time to afford re-signing Sauce And Garrett Wilson, and right in time to draft a young guy again that will be on a rookie contract so we can afford to keep the youth we built the team with

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The biggest argument for Carr is that he's better than people give him credit for because the Raiders are a mess, and with better coaching, he can break out. Hiring Hackett eliminated that possibility, so it's Rodgers or bust now.

The Dark Knight and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

One thing is certain...a large portion of this fanbase is going to be pissed off whichever guy is QB next season.

Cman68, burf, TheCleaner and 2 others like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

How far did this team come with one draft class? All of this in one offseason. We are tracking in the right direction (although the Hackett hire was HIGHLY questionable for all the wrong reasons) and need another haul of young, cheap talent in this draft.

Rodgers does not give us a shot at a SB next year. Put that BS storyline away. The Jets need to make the playoffs for a year or two and then SB talks can begin. They need to beat the big boys in the AFC (Mahomes, Burrow, Allen) when it matters most in the playoffs before all this pipe dream SB talk. There is a progression to becoming a winning franchise year in and year out. Rodgers is a quick fix when this team is not one player away. That is a false narrative. Quick fixes rarely work in life.

I just want to see this team make the playoffs next year and add more young studs to this roster. Carr allows us to do both without mortgaging our draft future (although the Hackett hire didn't do him any favors).

IIMeanDeanII and barfolomew like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Last week I was really optimistic about the Jets getting Rodgers, but the last few days has made me think it is unlikely. Going back to Green Bay is a realistic option. Going to the Titans, Raiders, Colts or even the Dolphins makes a lot of sense. Even retiring is possible.

He would have to 1. Truly love Hackett and 2. Have respect for Robert Saleh and his defense to even consider the Jets. I think he does, so it is on the table, but far from likely.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's interesting how, after a few tweets that were either not from "the horse's mouth", or non-committal, indicating that Rodgers might prefer LV, a lot of previous Rodgers rooters have thrown in the towel and have apparently decided either he's not coming here, or he shouldn't come here.

It doesn't take much to get Jets fans to put on their dark sunglasses.

Borat, The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You lose all credibility when you say we need to beat the big boys like Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen and then say you want to sign Carr to do it. Come on man. Furthermore, considering Carr is going to command 40-50m a year for likely 6 years, how in the hell do you not see that hamstringing out franchise completely. The path to having a SB franchise is to draft a franchise QB. There’s no getting around us. Rogers holds us over for 2 years and entertains us with the best possible chance (however slim it is) of winning a SB until the contract of our current young core come due, at which point we can afford them by trying again at drafting our future and having a QB on a rookie contract. Carr’s contract will have us cornered into positions where we have to decide which young guys to let go or trade because we can’t afford them. All for a guy who for a decade played at 3500 yds, 25/12 TD to INT ratio and won absolutely nothing his entire career. You want to spend 350m for THAT and have the audacity to say it doesn’t hamstring our franchise!?!?

#509 NJJets, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    NOVAJET likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We damned beat two of those QB with no QB of our own so not sure your opening sentence is accurate. Beyond that, based on our draft history of QBs, what is your position for this year. Who starts at QB?
    Never mind. Misread your thread. Sorry. AR is your pick. Agree with that, but he might not want to come.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Now you're projecting all kinds of nonsense. There's a million ways to structure contracts, teams do it all the time so spare me the Carr is going to out this team in cap hell BS. Also any QB worth their salt and we'd be talking about the same issue.

It basically comes down to you don't think Carr is any good and I think Carr is a bit underrated and the dude puts up good passing numbers undeniably. He was in another Jets-like loser franchise with the Raiders. They are Jets West.

I don't want to be giving up a first rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year for Rodgers which is what the Saints just got from Denver. And that's for a coach who hasn't been in the league in a few years. Clearly the bar will be that or more for Rodgers. Hard pass. Not doing it when these two guys could be Pro Bowlers for years to come.

This past year's class those two picks would have been Garrett Wilson (a 1st) and Breece Hall (a 2nd). No way in hell I'd give up those two guys for Rodgers at this point in his career. No way.

CotcheryFan, papapump and Cman68 like this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

2 years ago those picks are Zach Wilson and Elijah Moore…. And the year prior it was Becton and Mims…. All of which I’d happily give up for some elite play at QB. I’m not even a huge fan of Rogers, I just realize we need a QB so it might as well be the best one available, and without a shadow of a doubt it’s Rogers. Carr has been 3500 yds 25/12 for almost a decade. He’s not going to be any better than that, and we’ll be stuck with him for 6 years. No thanks

#512 NJJets, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Raiders. Vegas might be fun to reunite with Adams, but I doubt he wants to be coached by McDaniels, plus the Jets are the better roster.

I read somewhere Green Bay may want him back, and that makes the most sense to me. Just from a logic standpoint, Packers or Jets adds up the most.

Borat and barfolomew like this.
  14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Agreed packers he stays home and tries to win now, jets he tries to win now, raiders seem like the odd man out, but who knows

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I voted for swordfights, although I still prefer Carr. I just think Carr will be a Dolphin.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Jets still have the highest odds of landing Rodgers: https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/new-team-makes-big-move-in-rodgers-next-team-odds

Jets are +150, while Raiders are next at +450. From implied probability perspective Jets are 40%, and Raiders are 18. It feels like either Rodgers stays with the Packers, or of not there is a huge chance of the Jets getting him. I was thinking as far as compensation, and I think Jets will offer a 1st round pick, though I believe it will be next year's one. Most likely 2nd or 3d this year, and a 1st next year. And if Rodgers retires after one season, we will get a 2nd/3d rounder from the Raiders next year. But I believe we will be out of 2024 1st round pick ether way in order to get him. I think JD can get him without giving up #13 in 2023.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You mean from the Packers not the Raiders

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Is that so?......

KingRoach likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Throw that guy on ignore and never give him another thought.

LAJet likes this.
  20. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

The waiting makes me nervous. Carr you would think will be the first QB off the board. I don’t know how things will play out but I do know as we play the Rodgers waiting game all the serviceable QB might already have found a home. Worst case scenario of no Rodgers and left with slim pickings seem like a realistic scenario.

#520 NYGalPal, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.