Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

GB could be miffed at Rodgers & the Jets and decide to trade him elsewhere too

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair, but I think you’re underestimating the Titans spot. Weak division, elite running game, great coach and a state that might align a bit more with how Rodgers thinks off the field.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Won't happen, he will just retire and they will be paying him a fortune with no compensation. Would be ludicrous from a business perspective and teams tend to shy away from doing things out of spite when they could potentially benefit.

4. BrowningNagle

What do ya mean it wont happen? Rodgers doesn't want the Jets THAT bad. If they trade him to Tennessee he would gladly sign up for the $50 million or whatever they are gonna give him

5. NOVAJET

Could be but if Rodgers wants to increase media presence for a possible career post football he would probably prefer NY. Who knows, I don't want to try and get in his head, seems like a complicated space to be lol.

6. NOVAJET

I just mean to an extent he controls his own destiny. Maybe he wouldn't mind Tennessee but the odds don't suggest that as a preferred outcome.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The optimal strategy is to draft a QB and let him develop within your system into a top 5-10 QB, I don't disagree there. However, that's not something we have the luxury to do at this point IMO. In a perfect world, we'd have confidence that Zach was ascending to that level at this point but he's not, it is what it is.

My main takeaway form yesterday is that 3 of the 4 teams in the conference championship, and really the only 3 teams that competed yesterday have top 5-10 QB's on their roster. The Chiefs and Bengals have arguably the 2 best QB's in the league (Mahomes & Burrow) and the Eagles have Hurts who is maybe a top 5, but definitely a top 10, QB.

San Francisco is a great team, you could even argue that they're the best overall team in the league right now, but you can see that even a great team with sub-optimal QB play can't win against the best of the best.

Idk if Rodgers or Carr will for sure put us over the top against those kind of teams, but I know for sure Zach can't right now, and I feel very confident that none of the other FA QB's or rookies this year will be able to do that either.

Just to be clear, my option A is still Derek Carr, I think he'll be cheaper overall (both in terms of draft capital and contract value), is younger (so he could theoretically be a long-term option for us), and can play at a borderline top 10 level. But I'm not throwing a fit if they decide to go for Rodgers.

barfolomew and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think I saw that it would cost us roughly 30M in dead cap hits for 25 and 26. I think that might have only been if Rodgers plays in both 23 and 24 though so it's only 1 specific example.

Rodgers is also on record saying that he would be willing to restructure his current deal which is something I would expect JD to do if we're serious about acquiring Rodgers. 30M in dead cap for 2 years is a tough pill to swallow, even with the projected salary cap increases.

9. BrowningNagle

There's always the option of cleaning house, grabbing a proven GM / Coaching staff and letting them draft & develop a QB

barfolomew and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mean that's always an option but I really think that if you plug top 10ish QB play onto this roster we could compete at a high level and there just happens to be 2, potentially 3, options that fit that bill this offseason.

Maybe adding one of these guys gets us to competing at a SB level, maybe it's just make the playoffs and get bounced in the Wild Card level, I don't know. I just feel very confident that any option other than Carr, Rodgers, or Lamar we have this offseason will not get us to that level, definitely not next year anyway.

#350 KY Jets Fan, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    barfolomew and NOVAJET like this.
  11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

But that will take us another 5 years. Im young, but i don't want to wait that long. We haven't been good in so long.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

What is your response to critics of a potential Lamar Jackson move that he does not "fit" into the Jets current offensive schema?

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They have an offensive scheme?

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

There are rumors to that effect.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

That’s the beauty of it. With Lamar Jackson who is 26 and would be here 10+ years, the current schema is not important because you are making a long term move for once

barfolomew likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure both teams won yesterday because of their o-line more than the QB. Especially Eagles.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Right on cue, looks like 2023's cap will be ~225M, a ~17M increase from last year (208M).

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The Jets need to prepare a video of Mark Messier winning the Stanley Cup. A montage of fan reactions. Fuck it, have Messier in the meeting to tell Rogers what a big dick legend of NY he is for coming here and getting a cup for the Rangers after a 50 year drought. If Rogers wins a SB with the Raiders so what? Anybody’s mind any different about Brady winking in TB? Rogers is already a HoF and one of the best ever. He wins in NY for the Jets, he’s a legend. His ego will love that. and if he has reservations about being around the curse of the Jets, show him a pick of Favre’s dick and remind him that Favre sent that pic to a reporter and it went public, and nobody even remembers and he went on to the HoF without even a blip of a reminder of it. If Rogers fails here he had nothing to lose…. But if he wins…. He’s a legend.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

An interesting thing with the Jets and Rodgers is I think the Jets' involvement will be done pretty quick. Either Rodgers is open to being traded to the Jets and the deal happens, or the Jets move on quickly to Carr/Garoppolo. They don't have time to wait around and risk missing out on the other QB's. Possibly they already know. That wouldn't surprise me.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

100% agree. That's been Woody's M.O. all along. When he wants something new he goes after it, and if he can't get exactly what he wants NOW, he pivots to something he convinces himself is as good or better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.